Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Friday, April 07, 2006


"Where she now proceeded to make my breakfast..." ~ Jane Eyre

I am cooking breakfast for dinner tonight.

The menu will consist of omelets with chedder, pancakes, fruit and yogurt, hash browns with onions and green peppers, bagels, coffee, and mimosas. Dining attire will be pajamas, too. I am excited and looking forward to my trip to Super Stop and Shop after work for ingredients. (It just opened by my apartment a month ago and going in there gives me a natural high; I love that I get to scan my own items and do checkout by myself)

Growing up, my sisters and I would sometimes declare that it was "Opposite Day." Part of the game was that everything you said meant the opposite of the intended meaning. We would run around yelling things like, "I hate you" and "You are mean," smiling and giggling.

Sometimes it is nice to do the opposite of what you would normally do. Sometimes the norm gets to be too mundane, so you need to change things up a bit. Rebelling against the everyday things in life is just as important as rebelling against the big things in life. Otherwise, you don't build up your stamina to revolt. I am the first to admit that I am a goody-two-shoes, but I can create quite the insurgency when I feel like it.

Many of the influential people in my life always express opposite viewpoints other than my own. It not only keeps me on my toes, but it challenges me intellectually and makes me constantly question my values and viewpoints. Either the opposite viewpoint confirms my own stance on the subject, or it allows me to think about an issue further.

I love debates, and I used to be addicted to "Crossfire" on CNN. I admit: I have a "thing" for James Carville. And Tucker Carlson. It's got to be the tie. Or the Alex P. Keaton persona. Anyway, when J.Sarah and I were on vacation in DC, Lime joined us and we were live "Crossfire" audience members at a taping at GWU. Opposition is the spice of life, and I truly enjoy going at it with my dear Republican friends. As for arguing with my Dem friends, that actually occurs as well. J. Sarah and I actually don't debate because I think we both hate it. We agree on politics often, but when we don't, we get a bit ornery. J. Sarah and I are just too similar to contemplate opposites around each other.

Going back to everyday oppositions, some of my favorites include the reading a trashy romance novel after previously reading 100 classics, drinking wine instead of beer while watching a football game, choosing purple nail polish for my toes during a pedicure once in a while, and partying late on a work night.

In the spirit of my opposite day today, I went to Starbucks today and didn't order coffee. Yes, I couldn't believe that myself. Breaking away from my normal Cafe Mocha with a double shot, I got the new Blackberry Green Tea Frappucino. Drinking it was a near orgasmic experience. And if you think that the word orgasmic doesn't belong in this Jane Eyre genre, you are right.

Sometimes it is just so pleasurable to do the opposite of what is expected.

8 Comments:

Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Thomas ~ As much as people may dub Jane Eyre a "chick book," I assure you its not. ;) So, start the novel and let me know what you think! In the meantime, come visit here anytime you wish!

12:20 PM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

OH hunny...Jane Eyre is not a chick book, but we fluff mavens call it "chick lit."

I am sooo with you on the 100 classics and then trash. However, it sounds soooooo much better when you say...Fluff!

BTW..my daughter is devouring Little Women. Devouring. That was my first favorite. Then Emma. Amazing, but I didn't discover Gone With The Wind, until my freshman year of college (one of my other top 5.)Then I discovered The Canterbury Tales. Is it crazy that one of my top 5 books ever was that in Old English?

xoxo!
C

4:28 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Christie, You bring a tear of joy to my eye! The Canterbury Tales? Yay! Love Chaucer. I was so happy standing next to his tomb in Westminster. Let me tell you, he must have been very short! Anyway, you have GOT to check out this blog, my dear:

http://houseoffame.blogspot.com/

6:14 PM  
Blogger Buffy said...

I often have breakfast for dinner. It helps me relax.

10:08 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Buffy, you have the right idea. I need to do this more often. Indeed, it is comforting!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

I think we might be the same person. Just saying. I, too, am a goody-two-shoes, breakfast for dinner is my favorite and my family likes to regularly remind of the cat I had, Alex P. Kitten. Yes, yes, please feel free to make fun of my obsession with Alex p> Keaten on Family Ties. I wanted nothing more than to marry someone like that...my how things change!

11:36 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

OH! and I forgot to mention that I, too, alternate between serious novels and ridiculous non-merit bearing chick lit. Ha ha, I love that someone else does that. I feel it keeps things balanced.

11:39 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Kels,
I love your comments! :) I have a twin sister, but it sounds like you could be my triplet? I would never make fun of your love for the Alex P K!
TN

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home