Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Friday, April 14, 2006


"the fervour with which you throw yourself into..." ~ Jane Eyre

I believe many people think about what it would be like to enter a scene in a movie and live it for a few moments. If I could throw myself into any movie, it would be Easter Parade.

No, I wouldn't be one of the swells; that has to stay a couple.

I would throw myself into the end of the film when Judy Garland and Fred Astaire are walking down Fifth Avenue on Easter Sunday. The Avenue is filled with people in their Sunday best, with big bonnets and top hats. Astaire gives Garland a ring, and then the pan-out is of St. Patrick's Cathedral.

I think cities are sometimes synonymous with holiday fervor. Christmas in New York is amazing, but Easter in New York is also quite lovely. The store window mannequins are draped in pastels, Rockerfeller Center has flowers and plants lining the pathway to Prometheus, and there is always a crowd of children with their families on 6th Avenue outside of Radio City Music Hall for their Easter Show.

Sidewalk tables are beginning to be used for Sunday brunches, boutiques open their doors in Soho inviting every woman in to get the latest spring fashion. This year, I hear anything in the color turquoise is extremely fashionable. The biergarten in Astoria opens up as well as the garden at Cavo where amazing sangria and mezze is served. Central Park becomes a mecca for all urbanites, and the Meatpacking District becomes the place for dinner aside cobblestone streets. The subways crowd more and more baseball fans heading to the Bronx.

The city is reborn at Easter.

The past few Easter Sundays have been spent at St. Vartan's for the divine liturgy. The cathedral becomes so crowded that Armenians are unable to sit; they stand in the back and even in the walkway outside of the actual church. After holy communion is taken, we gather in the courtyard and doves are released. Each year the release of the doves always makes the local television news stations. Indeed, it is a beautiful sight.

Yes, I would love to be in that moment of Easter Parade where a chorus is singing about writing sonnets by inspiring Easter bonnets. The sun is shining, people are walking leisurely, and everyone is smiling. What is better than Judy Garland smiling?

There is still an Easter Parade in New York City. Sadly, it is not the parade of Garland and Astaire, but at least it honors their tradition. Many women make their own bonnets now, and some of them are absolutely amazing.

To those who are celebrating Easter, Happy Easter. May it be filled with sonnets of bonnets, tons of jellybeans, and pink peeps! Above all else, may it be filled with peace. Oh, and hopefully some Judy Garland and Fred Astaire walking down the Avenue as a couple of swells...

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

oh my! I could really see,hear, taste, smell all of it!!! I could see Judy smiling away and hear the song being sung... on the Avenue, fifth avenue... the photographers will snap us... and then I make up the rest and hum the tume.
Makes me want to go out and rent the movie.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Slim said...

I haven't seen this movie. I'm going to put it in my Netflix queue tonight.

Happy Easter to you as well! I hope this one is one of the best ever.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Aaaah my friend. The pink peeps are in one basket and yellows are in the other one. Jelly beans, lots of chocolate and a few goodies for the kids. I wonder how sugared up they will be in their sweet Easter clothes?

Woohooo Mass should be fine..don't you think? LOL! We dipped eggs today and I'm hoping that Easter Parade is on tv tomorrow. I'm going to scour TIVO right now and see if I can find it showing on a movie channel. I LOVE THAT MOVIE!

Coffee clink cheers to you my friend. Ok...It's Virginia Beach where we're moving. Hmmmmm a little closer!
xoxo
C

11:21 PM  
Blogger Barry said...

I think I would like to be in the quiet man, watching and following those two fight and then take a break at the ub, then fight again... now that would be an afternoon!!

Happy Easter!

2:01 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

M ~ Keep humming today!
WIP ~ Let me know if you enjoyed the film! :)
TG ~ Please please post a shot of the little chickadees in their Easter Best! Enjoy this day with them.
Barry ~ I LOVE The Quiet Man! :) The chemistry between Wayne and O'Hara is amazing, and I know the exact scene you speak of!
HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY! :)

9:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Easter!!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home