Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Saturday, February 17, 2007


"And so it suits you..." ~ Jane Eyre

On Thursday afternoon I loved the woman I saw in the fitting room mirror at Lord and Taylor.

It has been a long time since I have purchased a new suit; I do not wear them to work (a rare few of us here dress business casual while the rest of my colleagues make poor choices, such as jeans and sneakers). Although I have a few suits that I love, I wanted a new one in anticipation of interviews to come this Spring. Its all psychological and I am not apologizing for my splurge.

I was nervous as I perused the racks of petite suits. I worked so hard to get where I am in my career; am I really making the right decision to go ahead with this? In a way, buying the suit meant I was committed to truly changing my professional path, and I felt all the weight of the world on me as I carried various suits into the fitting room.

It took a while to decide which one to try on first. I felt like a bride thinking about her gown. I passed up the boring grey and navy blue Calvin Klein suits for a taupe-colored Tahari with subtle pink and cream pinstripes (see photo above). Just as some brides end up purchasing the first gowns they try on, I knew this suit was the one. I fell in love with it. It was not a conventional blue or grey; I am not a conformist, nor am I some young naive girl out of college fighting for an entry level position. It was a pants suit; I do not need to wear a skirt to prove my capabilities. The entire ensemble screamed spring, as I am ready to exit the winter of my teaching career and move on.

I stared at myself in the mirror for a long while, smiling the entire time. The suit was perfect - light and flattering; I could wear my pearls with it and my favorite pair of pumps. I knew it would be a great ally during an interview...such as the first one I have this Tuesday at a publishing company in the city.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Bird said...

oh! this is very exciting - both the gorgeous suit and the interview!

i am rooting for you.

i too am suit-shopping...but i am so tired of wearing pants, i may go for a skirt suit.

i want something sexy and professional. is there such a thing? i mean sexy in an understated, subtle way.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I admire how you made the decision to move on, and to find something challenging, something in which your passions and dreams will be more fulfilled. This suit, in which you feel so comfortable and which really reflects who you are, is a great start. Good luck this Tuesday, Thursday!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

its beautiful & good luck!!!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Non-Highlighted Heather said...

You carry yourself differently in a suit. I think this was a wise decision as you seek to start a new chapter in your life.

Part of the fun of wearing a business suit is the lingerie that you choose to wear underneath it. You can look extremely conservative on the outside but underneath hide a little sauciness. Then you can walk around with a confident, yet, I've-got-a-secret, look on your face.

Bonne chance!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Slim said...

Good for you! The suit is of course tastful, which is no surprise, of course. I love these liberating first steps to a life change.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Good luck with the interview -

1:58 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Faboo--it will look great with your coloring. That will add some sassy to your interview on Tuesday--whoo hoo! (as a pale blonde, I'd look hideous & would actually do better in a grey, but hey...)

Even though you are leaving the "traditional" teaching profession, I hope you continue to visit we teachers with blogs & offer your wisdom, while you are enjoying your new career.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

GO AMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great suit, and great big good wishes for your interview. It is never a mistake to see what is out there..even if you go on 50 interviews and stay exactly where you are. GOOD LUCK.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

A nice suit is such a confidence booster when interviewing! Good luck!

11:37 PM  
Blogger ReadItDaddy said...

Women in suits - Phwoar!

Women in suits wearing glasses - PHEWOOOOARR!

Peej
x

6:34 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

I once had a professor that said when she had to make business calls she would put on lipstick first. It was something about that act that made her feel put together and professional. It added to her confidence. I agree with this. It is like how when I am sick and in my pajamas. The moment I start to feel better I take a shower-- put on cute underwear and new pajamas-- just to give myself a little boost in feeling better.

I would've bought a suit, too.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck today!

6:31 AM  
Blogger ..................... said...

wow, it's tuesday night...
hope all went well with your interview!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I'm still trying to think of how to have you and my son cross paths...

There is so much truth in the idea that how you dress effects how well you perform. When you feel "right" with your appearance, you can soar. You are a smart woman.

When I was actively in business, I owned several suits. It actually amused me that I would become so "professional" when I'd put one on. I'd laugh to myself later in the evening while I was shoveling manure out of the barn, thinking "they should see me now!"

Hope the interview went well, but if it doesn't turn out to be the right thing, think of it as just a first step in your newest adventure. Hopefully you will find several good choices.

Best wishes!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

How exciting!!!

I've been there before. I learned that Tahari suits love my body and fit like a glove. Every interview I've ever been on wearing one of my Tahari's (if it involves a female) starts with a compliment about my suit which totally sets me at ease.

I hope the same for you. I know it will be great, Amy!!!

Good luck!

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home