Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, January 02, 2006


"You are like the Roman emperors!" ~ Jane Eyre


Late nights last week I was up eating pita chips and sipping some red wine whilst watching Rome on HBO.

I have become obsessed with this show, which is odd since those that know me realize that I rarely watch television except for football games and Sex and the City. I wish I had the common sense to tape all 12 episodes last week, since now I have to wait for it to be released on DVD. It won't air again for a while, but at least a new season begins filming this year.

The series has the perfect combination of dynamics that make it a show I am fascinated with. The historical aspects are accurate, as I have been checking the veracity of the plot after each episode. It has some great actors, many of them classically trained in Shakespeare. It has amazing costumes and sets, all of which are accurate for the time period as well. Oh and yes, it has lots of romance and lots of sex.

Lucius Vorenus is, by far, my favorite character on the show. I think many others would agree with me (especially the ladies). He is strong, principled, self-disciplined, conscientious, and fills out a Roman uniform quite well.

I found myself truly impassioned about the doings of each character's life, which makes me even more impressed that HBO was able to come up with a Soap Opera for the thinking woman. Forget the Sex and the City parties; once I get this series on DVD, I am having a huge Rome party complete with red wine and Caesar salad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home