Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, April 17, 2006

"but for one item..." ~ Jane Eyre

My Spring Break Vacation To-Do List:

Item 1: Visit Fourbucks a few times for new Blackberry Green Tea Fraps.
Item 2: Visit New York Sports Club each day as Blackberry Green Tea Fraps are sugary.
Item 3: Take extra long hot showers after New York Sports Club visits, as there is no rush to go anywhere at anytime this vacation. (will become weekend driver for vacation, too)
Item 4: Sit outside in yard after getting dressed from showering and begin to read.
Item 5: Read books on reading list including "Garlic and Sapphires" by Ruth Reichl, a New York Times food critic, a book lent to me by Nelle.
Item 6: Fantasize what it would be like to be a food critic for the Times.
Item 7: Stop fantasizing about food critic life, as one would be at NYSC every second of one's waking life as food critic.
Item 8: Try at least three new recipes this week in the kitchen, one from the Dining out section of the Times.
Item 9: Get YELLED at by D.R. for mentioning the Times so much in this post. Gah!
Item 10: Use old sections of the Times to clean up after Bruce, Chaz's pup, who I am doggiesitting one day this week.
Item 11: Make sure that Bruce has enough Frosty Paws for when he visits.
Item 12: Visit some websites about KEY WEST.
Item 13: Start planning aspects of KEY WEST vacation, schedule for the end of June.
Item 14: Start reading list for me and Pop, who are heating to KEY WEST at the end of June on a trip we are both calling "The Hemingway Homage."
Item 15: Blast Jimmy Buffett cd all week because vaca is also going to be our mecca to the original Margaritaville. (Hope one does not step on a pop top and ruin expensive flip-flops)
Item 16: Make margaritas for me and Chaz.
Item 17: Get tipsy on margaritas and start singing along to "Cheeseburger in Paradise."
Item 18: Ooooo. Make burgers on my charcoal Weber grill.
Item 19: Saute mushrooms and onions for burgers.
Item 20: Go to Super Stop and Shop to also get swiss cheese for burgers.
Item 21: Stop at Fourbucks for a Blackberry Green Tea Frap before food shopping, as one needs a little pick me up when walking around the market.

A recipe for you to enjoy, courtesy of Buffett himself:

Jimmy Buffett's "Cheeseburger in Paradise"
Recipe courtesy Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Restaurant, 2000.


28 ounces fresh USDA choice beef chuck, diced
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
1/2 tablespoon onion salt
1 teaspoon celery salt
8 slices American cheese - 1 slice if any other kind of cheese (so use American!)
4 sesame hamburger buns, toasted
8 leaves iceberg lettuce
4 slices tomato,
1/4-inch thick
4 slices red onion,
1/4-inch thick 4 toothpicks
4 pickle spears
2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled, cut into fries and fried until golden brown
Using a meat grinder with a 3/8-inch plate, grind the meat. Change to a 1/8-inch plate, and grind a second time. Shape the ground meat into 4 (7-ounce) patties. In a mixing bowl, combine the kosher salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion salt and celery salt. Mix well. Place burger on a hot grill and season with the seasoning salt. Cook the burgers halfway to desired temperature and flip over and finish cooking. Place cheese on the burger when it is 3/4 of the way cooked and melt. Place bottom bun on plate. Place burger on bottom bun. Place lettuce, tomato and onion on top of the burger. Cover with top bun and secure with a toothpick. Place pickle next to the burger. Place fries on the plate.

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mmmmmm...A Nice burger with a nice tossed salad on the side sounds great!!!!!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Great! Now, I want a cheeseburger for lunch and I had planned to have fruit as I am having a brownie for lunch. I'll just have to hold strong (ha ha- well, I'll try) ...also, I am making pecan pies tonight!!!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your list is so perfect ...
The fraps are my favorite too and I have always imagined they are naturally sweet ... denial at its best.
As for the Times ... what came to mind is that whenever anyone says you need to back off I would head in the opposite direction ... MORE MoRE MoRe references to the TIMES ... as many as can be squeezed in and as often as they can to YOUR delight!!!

10:35 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

V ~ No salads! ;)

Kels ~ Brownies for lunch on Mondays are quite acceptable. Oooo what are the pies for?

M ~ I am going to steal your naturally sweet rationalization and use it, if I may!

11:39 AM  
Blogger bob said...

Regarding item 14: I suggest you and Pops halt the homaging at an appropriate point. I seem to recall Papa and daughter came to tragic denouments.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A ~ Thanks for the e-mail! I gotta run, and might not have internet access for a couple of days, so forgive me!

All (especially "M" and "A") -
Since we need to increase our NYTimes references, how bout this one:
http://bokertov.typepad.com
/btb/2006/04/did_you_see_thi.html

May I also bring to everyone's attention the juxtaposition of the NYT reference on the blog - http://bokertov.typepad.com/btb/ -

How appropriate that we can juxtapose the Times' slobbering over "the intricate tiles of the Dome of the Rock" with the pictures and accounts of the latest blasted bits of Jewish flesh. But then again, its the NYTimes, I understand...

I'm sorry to get so political/rage-full on such a nice blog, and such a nice post, but I think sometimes some things ought to be said/pointed out and some things are worth fighting for/fighting about.

12:41 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Sounds like a perfect spring break... Now you have me dreaming of the Keys!! I have always wanted to go.. Great site! Jane Eyre is one of my all time favorites!!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Slim said...

FOURBUCKS, I love it! I've never heard of it referred to as such, but it's so perfect.

Great list. I look forward to a time when I no longer have classes, have a full time job once again and can take a leisurely week off. Sounds like your making the most of your time off. Good for you!

10:14 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Bob ~ LOL! You raise a good point. This English Teacher is floored that you used the word denouement. AWESOME! I think that perhaps after a certain point in the homage we will just become parrotheads for the rest of the trip!

Pukk ~ Get the internet access asap or I will have no one to argue with about the Times or discuss cereal with. :( Love that you used the term juxtapose; everyone today is talking so nice to this English Teacher. You can rant and rave politics anytime here, so don't apologize. This is your forum, too!

Beachgirl ~ Thanks for visiting here! Its always nice talking to a fellow Eyre lover! :)

WIP ~ I admit that Fourbucks is a term I stole from another, but its soooo true, isnt it?!? Taking classes is hard work, and I, too, will be glad when you are done!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Charlie Mc said...

Amester's Amended Vacation List

cross off a chicken bbq
cross off a nice lunch outdoors
cross off a daytime beach stroll
cross off a summer preview of da' hood
cross off Bruce and his Ham Bone
cross off toasting marshmallows

Add a shopping spree for the new house
Add cheering at softball practice
Add lots of smiles from Chaz

11:06 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

I just found out about the Blackberry Green Tea Frapps on Friday and I've had 2 in the last 3 days! OMG...heaven! :)

Sounds like a great vacation! :)

11:46 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

TN- The pies are for my friend Dotti. Her only birthday request was that I make her a pecan pie. So, I made her one, one for the house and then a little one because if I had put it all in the pie crust there would have been a lot of spillage in the oven. I forgot how good they are. Clearly, I impressed myself. Oh and I made a spinich and cheddar quiche. Both cook at 350 for an hour. It was perfect!

11:10 AM  
Blogger K said...

Ooooh--fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. So great I had to say it three times.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home