Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Friday, May 26, 2006


"I can remember..." ~ Jane Eyre

Although I celebrate the commencement of summer this weekend along with everyone else, I will take a moment to reflect on those who died protecting and serving this country. I don't support every war in our country's history, but I do support and admire our soldiers. I am thankful that both my grandfathers survived World War II, but I know many of their band of brothers did not.

Tomorrow the USMA will graduate the class of 2006. A year ago, D.R. was graduating, throwing his hat into the air.

38 graduates of West Point have died since we entered Afghanistan and Iraq. I hope and pray each day that the number remains at 38.

7 Comments:

Blogger Barry said...

Let's hope it doesn't change. Maybe some things will change there, or here, so our boys can go home.

I agree - Let's honor al those who have died so we can be free

11:50 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

TN- amen sister, amen... My prayers are with you and your friend...

God Bless America!!

11:37 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Barry ~ Thanks again for all you do over there. I hope you are getting a break this weekend.

BG ~ You are such a positive force I am glad to have come in contact with in this blog inertia! You are wonderful! :)

5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rarely have anything good to say about the NY Times. And ThursdayNext knows this as well as anyone. So here goes! :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/29/opinion/29west.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Pretty solid OP-Ed by Owen West from my perspective here. My favorite part:

"Soldiers are sick of apologizing for a sliver of malcontents who are not at all representative of the new breed. But they are also sick of being pitied. Our warriors are the hunters, not the hunted, and we should celebrate them as we did in the past, for while our tastes have changed, warfare — and the need to cultivate national guardians — has not. As Kipling wrote, "The strength of the pack is the wolf."

and

We are clashing with an enemy who has been at war with us in one form or another for two decades. Our military response may take decades more. We have crossed several rivers and the nation is hoping that ahead lie streams. But if they are oceans, we should heed Lincoln's call: "With malice toward none, with charity for all ... let us strive on to finish the work we are in."

8:39 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

It is always important to remember what Memorial day is all about!

9:20 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

TN- thanks for your kind words! You are so sweet!

pukk- I'm not a fan of the NY Times either but those are some great excerpts...

2:18 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Pukk ~

Miss you. Indeed, I am in shock and awe that you quoted the NY Times. :) Of course it had to be an op-ed piece, though!

Decades? Try centuries. I read a Charlamagne romance written in the Middle Ages called "The Sultan of Babylon" and it was the same conflict.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home