"I could not forgo the delicious pleasure..." ~ Jane Eyre
Food Porn is a term I have been enjoying lately; its fairly new to me since I have only been reading food blogs for the past few months. I love the term, but of course I love the actual descriptions that constitute food porn even more.
However, I must assert that beverage porn is not as widely written about in the epicurean porn industry. So, I decided to perpetuate it a bit here in this post.
The Stars of My Beverage Porn Collection
1) Banana Coconut Frappucino (Starbucks) ~ It didnt matter that it was cold and rainy last week when I trapsed into Starbucks with splashes of water running down my umbrella onto the sacred ground that is Fourbucks. I was unaware of this new drink until I saw the tropicalesque banner for it in the shop. The barristas were enthusiastic when I asked them about the new concoction, but I ordered a "tall" just to be on the safe side. Safety was not needed; the drink is orgasmic. Nevermind the phallic symbolism of the banana. The coconut flavor makes you think of the tropics, which makes you think of the beach, which makes you think of sex on the beach.
2) Affogato ('Inoteca)~ J.Sarah and I first went to 'Inoteca on the LES two summers ago for her birthday celebration. I remember an excellent wine list and amazing Italian-style "tapas," but what stood out the most was the affogato. Affogato is creamy vanilla gelato being doused with strong and hot expresso. Though I have had it a few other times, 'Inoteca's is the best; I think it must be something to do with the gelato to expresso ratio. In any event, affogato makes you think of Italy, which makes you think of the Statue of David (or Botticelli's Birth of Venus for the gents), which makes you think of nakedness.
3) Chardonnay on the Rocks With a Shot of Peach Schnapps (Recipe courtesy of NYTimes Travel Section) ~ Years ago, a writer for the New York Times Travel Section was in Provence, France, and sat in a small countryside cafe. She ordered a glass of chardonnay, and this was how it was presented to her: in a regular white wine glass with a few bits of ice and a splash of creme de peche. The nuttiness of the Chardonnay is complimented by the fruitiness of the peach flavor. Since reading the article, this glass of wine has become a staple in my summer drink repertoire, substituted with the schnapps since many bars do not have the creme. The drink makes you think of France, which then makes you think of Belle De Jour, which makes you think of seduction.
4) Peppermint Hot Chocolate (William's Sonoma) ~ Popular during the holiday season, this hot chocolate is rich and creamy with a minty kick. I served it to Chaz this past winter and he loved it. It is prepared by heating up the milk first and then adding the pure chocolate flakes into the milk and whisking it in the saucepan. Williams' Sonoma also makes chocolate marshmallows and chocolate covered marshmallows. Pick your poison (I have both). Hot cocoa makes you think of winter night snows, which makes you think of warmth, which makes you think of kissing by a fireplace.
5) Hoegaarden Beer (Imported from Belgium) ~ I love wheatbeers. Purple Haze Abita is another favorite, but Hoegaarden remains on top for me. I enjoy it at the Belgian bistro by my apartment, Waterzooi, and at places like the Biergarten in Astoria. It is definitely more of a summer beer than a winter beer. Sometimes places outside of New York serve it with a lemon slice. Personally, I am a straight-up Ho' girl. The beer makes you think of hot summer nights, which makes you think of being sweaty, which makes you think of being sweaty with someone you are extremely attracted to.
It would be nice to hear about the collections of others.
Cheers to Beverage Porn!
Reader, welcome to my life.
- Name: ThursdayNext
- Location: New York, United States