Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Thursday, June 01, 2006


"Near and deep as the thunder crashed..." ~ Jane Eyre

Its that kind of a night.

You know, the night where the sky is dark with beige undertones, ready to explode in in pouring rain and rumble with thunder as lightning flashes in between your window blinds. The kind of night you are happy to be inside, away from the outdoor steam room that is causing the weather. The kind of night where the air conditioner is on low as you lounge around in cropped pink sweatpants and a girlie white ribbed sleeveless tee from Urban Outfitters that would make Tony Soprano prouder of your look than he is of Meadow's. The kind of night where you eat Strawberry Yogurt Burst Cheerios in a small bowl for dinner because the mixture of heat and events of the week make you lose your appetite. The kind of night where you call your each person in your family to talk for a few minutes because the sounds of their voices comforts you, and you need comfort right now, which is why you are eating cereal for dinner. The kind of night you listen to Creedence Clearwater Revival and are in awe of John Fogerty's voice. The kind of night where you skip listening to "Fortunate Son" because you don't really feel like thinking about the politics of war on this particular evening. The kind of night where you know you will fall asleep early so it can be Friday already. The kind of night where you change the sheets so you fall asleep in a crisp, Bounce-smelling bed. The kind of night where you hope your dreams are good as you sleep because the day was anything but dreamy.

Its that kind of a night.

13 Comments:

Blogger Christie E. Little said...

I love that kind of night!

I'm hoping you were comfy in those cute pink sweats...mob lover tank top lol..yummy cheerio strawberry yogurt cereal.

Hmmm...I'm enjoying some diet coke, snuggled up watching some tv..mmm and having some popcorn.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Sounds like a kind of night I'd like. ;)

11:50 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I know exactly what you mean.. it's storming here now, but I could not have described it as well as you... I am going to crawl bck in bed and think of good things to dream about...

1:16 AM  
Blogger CF said...

funny...listening to Creedence Clear Water Revival right now...and was thinking Friday will be a good day...

3:46 AM  
Blogger David said...

Wow, I must have my empathy dial up to "11," because I so feel where you're at. I love how you manage to find the poetic rhythms in the everyday ups and downs. And the Sopranos reference was priceless. :)
I don't know if this will help, but when I'm having one of those nights, I watch Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies. I know, it's not really a cure-all, but it sure does do the trick when you need an antidote for the 21st century blues.
And if all else fails, there's always Haagan Daz bars. Just sayin'. :)

5:29 AM  
Blogger Kate Croft said...

I had a similar kind of night last night, except it also involved standing on the roof and watching the lightening fall, and running to see a moive in the rain (but also in a white t-shirt). Cheers!

9:20 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

It is awesome that everyone was in solidarity with a similar evening! TG, I hope it was kettle corn? That is my fave. FS, I enjoyed your post on Creedence! David, you are too cool. "Top Hat" and "Swing Time" are my all time favorites when it comes to Fred and Ginger. Did you ever read Ginger's autobiography? Oh I love it so much!

11:10 AM  
Blogger afromabq said...

maybe it's because we don't get many here in abq, but i LOVE stormy nights...when i lived in south carolina many years ago, my ex and i would turn our bed up against and facing the window to watch the most amazing lightening storms i've ever seen. i miss nights like that.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Those nights are great and sad at the same time. I just hope that every member of your family had a few minutes to talk to you, because it really does make the world go round right.

11:40 AM  
Blogger K said...

Utterly gorgeous descriptions "dark with beige undertones, ready to explode in in pouring rain and rumble with thunder as lightning flashes in between your window blinds". You are lyrical. I had this kind of night recently.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Sorry to hear your day was dismal and your week didn't sound much better. But aren't those kinds of days worth it sometimes, just to remind us, and have us seek out, all of the comforts that you mentioned, and give us alone time to reflect and gain some perspective.

2:12 PM  
Blogger David said...

You know, I haven't read the Ginger Rogers autobiography. I'll have to add it to the "Must Read Before Death" pile!

And yeah, I love both "Top Hat" and "Swing Time."

"Heaven...I'm in heaven..."

:)

2:55 AM  
Blogger xoxoalk said...

It's delicious when a storm rages outside and you're safe and warm. Whatever else is crappy, at least you have that great feeling. I envy your alone-time, though I know you can hardly believe it...

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home