Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Thursday, June 08, 2006

"Yes; though I touch it, it is a dream," said I." ~ Jane Eyre

As I have been telling people about my plans for a career change, they ask me what I would like to do for my new career. Fortunately, I believe I have many options. Still, the question has me thinking about what my true dream job would be if I had my druthers. Here are the workings of my imagination this morning:

I. Director of the Folger Shakespeare Library ~ The library in D.C. is absolutely gorgeous. When I visited with J. Sarah a few years ago, we were fortunately there at a time they were doing an entire exhibit on Queen Elizabeth I. Unfortunately, our tour guide was horrendous. Not only did J. Sarah and I know all of the information already, but we knew more than she did. I came very close to writing a letter about the horrid experience. As director, I would make sure that the exhibits were as interesting as the one I saw, as well as make sure that proper tour guides are hired!

II: A Ballgirl at Yankee Stadium ~ I think that the batboys have had enough time in the Bronx, and it is time for the ladies to take over. Of course I would be the ballgirl by third base, not first. As a ballgirl, I can support Derek Jeter any time he needs me. Of course I do realize that the times the Yanks are up at base, I will have little interaction with those balls. They tend to constantly be in the outfield or in the bleachers, especially these days, as we are first place for the East.

III: A Sommelier ~ Ok, ok. Its not that I really want the job of a sommelier. I just want to know everything about wine and wine tasting and wine pairing that there is. I would much rather be a server at one of the North Fork Wineries, but I am not sure if they know as much as a sommelier does. Still, if I was a sommelier, I suppose the restaurant I would choose would be Babbo. Thanks to that sommelier, J.Sarah and I were in a warm, happy, dizzy place the night we ate there a few Junes ago.

IV. Director of the National Trust for Historic Preservation ~ I am an advocate of taking the utmost care of historic landmarks in this country. As a child, I was fortunate enough to visit many, just here on Long Island! My favorite is Sagamore Hill in Oyster Bay, President Theodore Roosevelt's Home. My father took me there often because I loved Teddy so much, and viewing the house time after time always had me in awe. My favorite room in the house is the dining room. Each place setting has a small little lamp next to it; one for each person. According to the guide, Teddy sat down for breakfast at 8am and expected his entire family to be there on time. If they were not, they didn't get any breakfast that morning!

V. The Wedding Planner ~ J. Sarah is not a Bridezilla. However, since the announcement of her engagement, I now have the title of Bridesmaidzilla. (J.Sarah uses shorthand and just calls me BMZ.) Doing event production in college, years of watching "A Wedding Story" on TLC because of Cassie, helping to plan Missy's wedding, and meeting Sylvia Weinstock have all caused me to be this Marriage Monster. I must admit that my sister Missy IS the Emma Woodhouse of all party planners, but I am a close second. I have had excellent tutaledge.

VI. RN in the Nursery of a Hospital ~ The math and science part of my brain is past all hope, but if it were working, I would love to be a pediatric nurse and take care of all of the new, beautiful babies that come into this world. I can think of nothing more special than being around fresh little babies all day.

12 Comments:

Blogger Slim said...

I love your reference to newborns as fresh little babies. My aunt once looked at a newborn in a store and said to me "Ooh, that one is brand new!"

The potential in that fresh little brand new life is almost breathtaking!

8:26 PM  
Blogger David said...

Very nice creative visualization going on there! I liked your first choice, but really I feel like the sky is the limit, Amy. Once you narrow in on the career that is waiting for you, I think any obstacles will fall by the wayside. Of course, I don't know a lot about your specific qualifications, but I do know that you are sharp, witty, articulate, and passionate. You're on your way to something cool. I'm excited for you. :)

4:07 AM  
Blogger afromabq said...

you're such a romantic tiny a, you have such a flare for writing that reading this almost made me want to be an RN....and i DON'T ever want to be a nurse. my ex was and i heard and saw what that entails. anyway, i'm with you on being derek's ball girl...oh yeah, i mean yankee's ball girl! :)

9:17 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

WIP ~ The best part about Jack when he was just born was the amazing smell of his HEAD. Mmmmm. Baby head smell. Now, he has a mass of curls on that head! I love those, too!

David ~ I can't tell you how much I love the fact that you visit this blog; yours is so great to read. Thank you so much for all of your kind words and for sharing my excitement! The two of us are as excited as Brett when she sees Romero. ;)

AQ ~ Giggle...yes, indeed, I don't think I want to be a nurse! Oooo...this is perfect! That means we can rotate our schedules as DJ ballgirls so we can give one another days off. You are the best!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Just thinking of you. So..tell me my favorite writer, what's going on with the A & C these days? Hmm...it's been kind of quiet. Hope all is well with you babe.
xoxo
C

10:24 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

I think you have wonderful ideas that can take you incredible places. I aspire to know lots more about wine. On Monday, I was trying a new wine not quite ready to be bottled. I really like it as it was, but that is all that I could say about it. My friend, the assistant wine maker started talking about it-- I was in awe... I was like, yeah, ditto:-)

10:34 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

I love your shameless plug for the Yankees! :)

I've actually done two of these - I've had more careers than anyone I know! I was not an RN, I was an LVN, but I got to work with preemie babies. I worked for a nearby hospital and did home care for preemies who were still in need of the heart and lung monitors (usually somewhere around 4 lbs). So I got to care for them in their own homes. It was incredible.
I've also been a wedding planner and it was a blast! Of course, you get the Bridezillas, but I felt like I was really contributing to people's happiness - for them, this was the biggest day of their lives so far. Absolutely awesome.

And not to be totally long-winded, but...
about your comment about the uninformed guide...I've been to China several times and done the tours in Beijing and I am so impressed with their tour guides. They're required to have a college degree in history and be at least bilingual. It's an amazing experience enriched by their vast knowledge!

3:16 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Now I know we were separated at birth!! I love your outlook on life and your appreciation for art, sports and social activities!

I for one just want to be a what we commonly refer to (in the south) as a "home mommy" .... someone who is married and is committed to taking care of her family and volunteering in the community... That to me would be the greatest job in the world.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

I love your writing! You just make all those careers sound amazing, you romanticized each one. Your spirit just shines through your writing!

Great post!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

I'd go with Director of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, just becuase that sounds SO COOL...but then again, I'm a historian, so I'm a little biased. Yankees...blah!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Barry said...

I think you could make ditch digging or garbage collecting sound like an adventure

5:02 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

I didn't know you were considering a career change. I always picture you as the English Teacher Extraordinnaire. But, I can see you at Yankee stadium too. ;)

I think it's interesting how we picture people we've never met.
Best of luck in whatever you decide on. You seem to be extremely talented, so you shouldn't have any problems.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home