Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Friday, August 29, 2008

"Eat when excited..." ~ Jane Eyre

One of the more poignant scenes in Sex and the City is when Charlotte breaks down in front of Carrie, hysterical crying after Carrie calls her out on a fear she has. She can hardly speak through her sobs, but she manages to say that life is too good, too perfect, and too wonderful right now and something has to go wrong...how can one be so blessed with such happiness? Carrie reminds her that she has been through enough pain in her life, and its time to enjoy the joy. And in the end, Charlotte does.

I think the movie addressed the issue that it is possible to have your cake and eat it, too. The etymology of that statement is an interesting one. It dates back to 1596 as a metaphorical idiom for what is impossible - you cant eat cake and then have it because you already had it! Still, what we think is impossible in our daily lives may be possible. Its a simple kind of hope that is as plain as a vanilla cupcake, but also as sweet as one.

I feel like Charlotte in this moment - I am so thankful for all of my blessings, but at the same time I fear having it all because life is seemingly perfect right now. I expressed that to my cousin, Steph, the other evening. The eve of my thirtieth birthday was one of the darkest moments of my life, and everything seemed impossible to obtain and turn around and fix both personally and professionally. And then, as if it were the exact moment I made my wish on that piece of birthday cake, the impossible became possible and my dreams were sliced like a cake because they soon became the best reality.

And so, readers, there is a moment in Jane Eyre where Jane leaves her career in education for good and comes into her own wealth as she looks towards her future with Rochester. This is the moment where I leave education and move on to making real money in a new job. I have a new career, I have my Prince, I have the best family and friends, and I have been given the ingredients to make a cake that I am going to have and eat, too. As tempted as I am to cry like Charlotte and worry that this will all be lost, I remember that this was not given to me. I worked for this, just like I will work to make this cake and sweat over it until its ready for the taking, and will enjoy the sweets of my labor...

Labels: , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

First, I'm so happy that all of your hard work has turned into a happy reality.

Second, I had a similar conversation with my younger brother last night; we were both saying how good life is right now and THAT makes us nervous. Thank you for reminding me that I'm not alone in feeling very fragile about my happiness.... because I've earned it too.

Have a wonderful weekend.

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Real life will be a shock. But you'll love it. Good luck!

6:24 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

go ahead..

enjoy the fruits of your labor .. ;)

2:50 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

AB ~ I think fragile is a good word to use in this context. I think we just have to remind ourselves that it wasnt just given - it was earned. I hope you enjoy your weekend as well. :)

SJ ~ Oh real life has been a shock, but I think that I am ready for this next step and looking forward to what it will mean for my future. :)

Foam ~ Thank you very much! Have a great weekend!

7:46 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

carpe diem! im am SO happy for you. its not a sin to appreciate life...and acknowledging your blessings is a good start. enjoy enjoy!

12:50 PM  
Blogger moi said...

I am happy that you are so happy! Call me crazy, but I've always believed happiness is the ultimate purpose in life. And that whatever we do, whomever we honor as family, friend, or lover, is part of the "work" we do to attain that happiness. Enjoy YOUR cake.

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,
I awarded your proze with the blog love award today! Go see at http://frumteacher.blogspot.com/2008/09/blog-love.html

Love, Frum

1:36 PM  
Blogger Jack of Cakes said...

You deserve a fabulous Duff cupcake! So beautiful to look at yet so scared to make the first cut, but once you put it in your mouth, you know it was worth it. Enjoy the new chapter in your life. You have worked so hard. Savor the flavor!!!! Love you so very much!

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home