Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, December 08, 2008

"Good fortune opens the hand as well as the heart wonderfully..." ~ Jane Eyre



I have decided to start a new Monday tradition - Good Things. I will post for the next few Mondays during this season of sharing of what I think are good things and hope you will experience them as well!


1) A Good Blog: A close and dear friend of mine, whom I have known since fifth grade when we rode the school bus together, has started a new blog: http://senseandsensibilites.blogspot.com/ I am enjoying a side of him I never knew, even after all these years: his writing! Its a good thing, and I am tagging him (and all you other bloggers) to post your own "good things" this week on your blogs!


2) A Good Eat: My dear sister Missy knows my sweet tooth all too well, and she bought me a favorite goodie around Christmastime: Williams Sonoma Peppermint Bark! Its definitely a lovely item to serve after Christmas dinner, paired with a hot chocolate bar, of course! http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/fd471/index.cfm


3) A Good Bargain: I am a fan of the dollar store around this time of year. They have quality gift bags and plenty of good wrapping - there is no need to spend a lot on trimmings, and I find that the wine gift bags at my local dollar store are so lovely - they look like velvet covers. I even bought a few decorations for outdoors (I will post photos in another entry). A good website to help stay frugal in these times is here...I read it daily:http://www.walletpop.com/


4) A Good Cause: It is wonderful that so many people donate to charities this time of year. Sadly, so many are hurting because corporate sponsorship is down. I am still advocating donating to sarcoma research in hopes of a cure to this terrible form of cancer. You can donate here: http://www.curesarcoma.org/


5) A Good Read: I have been reading many food essays lately, and my favorite collection is something you will want for your collection. I devoured this book last month during my commute to and from the city each day. It is called Alone in the Kitchen with Eggplant. The essays are all about dining alone. http://www.aloneinthekitchen.com/ Oh, there are some great recipes for nights you are home alone, too!


6) A Good Article: Being Armenian, it is important to always remember the struggle of my ancestors. This is a great article from yesterday's New York Times Magazine by an Armenian-American author I admire and whose works I have read, Peter Balakian. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/07/magazine/07lives-t.html?_r=3&ref=magazine


7) A Good Song: Lately I have been downloading some classical Indian music. Dating the Prince has opened me up to a gorgeous culture, and the music is as intoxicating as his aura. You can do some of your own listening here...performed by American college students at Wesleyan! It is as perfect as any Indian musical performance! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwdDm3UO5WM What these students have accomplished is mind blowing (make sure you read the lovely comments).


8) A Good Laugh: Jack has been watching reruns of the old Muppet Show that my sisters and I watched as kids. This particular montage, "Mahna Mahna" makes him laugh hysterically: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXyXuqfBLA


9) A Good Burger: Two weeks ago the Prince and I did date night: dinner and a movie. We saw the film Twilight, and beforehand we ate at Five Guys Famous Burger! It was quite indulgent, but a great burger. Hopefully you have one in your area...I do recommend it for date nights! Oh, get the Cajun fries...those are a good thing! http://www.fiveguys.com/home.aspx


10) A Good Look: Commuting in the cold now makes me eye sweaters, but not just any. Not only do I love the Old Navy Sweater commercial from last year with a song that makes me always think of the Prince ("The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson). Check out this good sweater from this season in a great colors: http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=43069&pid=611846&scid=611846082

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Great suggestions! I am off to check out!

Thanks!

PS Indian? From where? My SIL is from Bangladesh...

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your "Good Things" post and wanted you to know that I ordered the book "Alone in the Kitchen..." after reading your good read entry. I am putting it in my boyfriend's stocking, he will love it!! Also I will be purchasing that sweater you showed from Old Navy once I decide on the color. Thanks for the tips!! -karen

1:20 AM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

i might just do this 'tag' ..
but it might take me a while to wrap my mind around it though.
i did enjoy your good things list .. and since we have the blessing of an unexpected 2 hour delay (remember? one of the nicer things about teaching although i'm still looking to get out) i just might take the time to check out your links .. :)

6:06 AM  
Blogger vintagebird said...

The dollar store is a wonderful thing... my favorite is Dollar Tree.

10:04 AM  
Blogger HLiza said...

I love to see a lot of stuffs on bargain this Christmas season..and how they wrap them nicely though not everybody buy for present!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Peppermint Bark! mmmmmmmm....(Homer)

Nice list of Good Things!

I'll have to try a similar list.

In unrelated news, Calvin has a buzz cut now, and is possibly the cutest boy in the world! Ok, I'm biased. But really, you'll die. I'll send a pic to the gmail. ;)

7:23 PM  
Blogger Paul Pincus said...

terrific post!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home