Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

"A paradise of peace..." ~ Jane Eyre

Vignettes From Election Night:

It is toward the early hours of projections and we are taking a short nap in his bed as CNN anchor voices fill the room with anticipation of a win, sounding like a melodic lullaby. The Prince's eyes are closed as I run my fingers through his thick, dark hair. For the first time in a long time, there is finally a calm in our breaths. Maybe we wont have to worry about our future together as much as we have been, fearing the worst for the economy and the quality of living in a tainted America. Perhaps tonight we, too, can win back our daydreams and make them a reality once more - a home, vacations to India, sending the children to Ivies. I close my eyes and continue to run my fingers through his hair and think about the lyric's from Springsteen's "No Surrender." - I want to sleep beneath peaceful skies in my lover's bed, with a wide open country in my eyes and these romantic dreams in my head - Later on that night I feel salt on my lips as I lick my tears and fall asleep with wet eyes...happy, alive, and grateful to sleep well once again. I think about my Prince and my love for him and his ideals, and how much we have shared during this election together and how integrated it is in our relationship. There is no one else I love discussing politics more with.

He calls her is rock, his best friend, and the love of his life. She emerges in red, the color of passion she has for him, her girls, her country, her belief in dreams. I watch them kiss and her whisper "I love you" into his ear, and they are able to steal a private moment together among millions of people watching - for no one can ever really surmise the true depths of their passion. I envision them at the end of the evening going home and closing the door to a world that is celebrating, lying in their own bed together, perhaps he running his fingers through her hair as they daydream about their future. It will not be easy for them, for now they have the burdens left to them from the horrible regime of eight years that has decimated so much. What has not been decimated is love - on all levels. Love of country, love of dreams becoming reality, love of partners in life. And because of that love, they, too, will sleep in each others arms with romantic dreams in their heads.

And tonight (or rather, these early hours of the morning), a man of mixed race is President of the United States, proving that America is capable of practicing the ideals it is founded on. One day mine and the Prince's children, who will be of mixed race, can look at this man and know that anything is possible in this beautiful country.

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Slim said...

Beautiful post. I have been tearing up all day and I hope this post is the last tear jerker I experience this evening.

10:07 PM  
Blogger roxanne s. sukhan said...

for me the face of jesse jackson epitomizes the significance of Obama's victory.

i am mixed. i remember being called brown crayon, as a little girl. i remember that some kids were not allowed to play with me because i am mixed.

i never dreamed i would live to see this day. never.

11:11 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

you know..
it's always a pleasure to read your posts.
they are so beautifully written..

5:08 AM  
Blogger Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Happy, happy day. America feels like home to me once more.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I'm glad to see you can work full time/commute/etc and still find time to write.

11:15 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

I love this post! And like slim, I've been teary eyed everytime I think about it!

5:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful post! I hope things all go well, fingers crossed.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Yes said...

(sigh) Lovely, just lovely! What more to say.
You have outdone yourself here...

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home