Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, July 10, 2006


"A noble and beautiful woman - your bride. " ~ Jane Eyre

Sunday afternoon was lovely; it was the kickoff to my best friend's wedding.

Since I am the "fourth sibling" in J.Sarah's clan, I attended a small gathering for the parents of J.Sarah and her fiance E. to meet for the first time at J. Sarah's parents' home. The siblings of both J.Sarah and E. were there, and that included moi. J. Sarah and I have been best friends for almost twenty years, and her parents have been my second set of parentals for a good ten years of the twenty.

The afternoon was a perfect gathering in the yard, complete with a Mediterranean style menu that J. Sarah's mom could only make: grilled lamb, hummus, babaganoush, tzatziki, tarmisilata, greek salad...the list goes on. Desserts were amazing, including J. Sarah's brother's "Baklava Cheesecake." He gave me the recipe, and no, I refuse to give it to anyone. I am convinced he could make a killing on these cheesecakes in communities like my Armenian community. I am going to give it a try in two days...hopefully I can make it as delicious as his was.

The best part of the gathering was the people. E's parents are awesome. It was nice to be with the families and toast the newly engaged couple.

J. Sarah and E. became engaged a little over a month ago, and since then J.Sarah has not been Bridezilla. I, however, have become Bridesmaidzilla, aka BMZ in J.Sarah's vernacular. The bet we have going is that she is going to be so sick of me talking about her wedding come the fall, that dinner will be on here somewhere en la cite du New York.

Last Monday J. Sarah came out to the Island and we spent the afternoon together. I BBQed chicken for us, grilled zucchini, made potato salad, and opened up a bottle of our favorite white wine, Channing Daughters Scuttlehole Chardonnay, which will be the white wine of the wedding next July.

We sat in my yard, glasses of wine in hand, and perused Martha Stewart Wedding magazines together, gathering ideas and discussing concepts and designs. Most of the conversation was about centerpieces, which excites me to no end since J.Sarah doesnt want a florist. She also told me she thinks I should wear green as her maid of honor. I love the color. Multiple styles shall be posted forthcoming; everyone gets to vote on the style!

She and I discussed the date for her non-traditional bridal shower that I am so very excited about. She didnt want a bridal shower at all, but I came up with an idea she liked. Instead of women coming with gifts, have them come with a dish and a recipe card to put in a Newlywed Cookbook for J. Sarah and E.! Of course I am going to give her the cake (or cupcakes) for that day. I won't have time to bake them myself, since I will be busy coordinating it, but I am sure she will love who made dessert.

Last month I posted that my dream job would be a wedding coordinator. Well, now here is my chance! I already plan on being the first one at the site of the wedding making sure that everything is in order. The numbers of each business involved will be on my cell phone, and I will wear that ear piece until the guests start to arrive just in case.

I plan on making friends with the caterer in advance so my bitchiness that day will be excused when I am irate that there is a cracker that is cracked. In my former days as an assistant director of events, I learned how to talk sternly through my smiling teeth, and to say please with a side of extra bitch in the sweetness. Yes, I will have a folder under my clipboard that has a checklist. The folder will have all contracts on me just in case I get any lip back so I can "throw paper" in the person's face. My best friend's wedding will run perfectly smooth, or this 'zilla is going to roar.

She is the best, and therefore her wedding has to be the best.

I just hope that J. Sarah has me and E.'s best man make the toast at the beginning of the reception, because once I make sure every last flower petal is in place, its time to hit a bottle of Scuttlehole Chardonnay and dance the night away in my green dress...

26 Comments:

Blogger Vixen said...

Sounds Amazing...the champagne, music, you in your hot green dress! I'm sure you will all reap the rewards of having the wedding personally coordinated! :)

11:44 PM  
Blogger David said...

Nothing is more intimidating than a smiling woman with a clipboard. Use that to your advantage. The Newlywed Recipe book sounds awesome! I love to get peoples' favorite recipes.

1:31 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Vix ~ Oooo I can't wait! I want J.Sarah to love each detail. :)

David ~ I definitely shall use it to my advantage! I decided no colored cutsey clipboard, either. This one is going to be one *serious* clipboard! Hey, it doesnt have to be just for Newlyweds, right? You can do a potluck with your friends and do a recipe swap that way! One can never have too many chocolate cake recipes!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

I did something similar to that for a friend's bridal shower. People brought their favorite recipe to put on a card for the box and all of the dry ingredients and any kitchen tools necessary. So, my recipie was a quiche, I gave her a pie pan, a pie server and stuff like that. It was a blast. Plus, we got to talk about food the entire time. However, she is Mormon so there was no drinking at the shower OR the wedding.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Oooohhh, wedding planner, don't forget your clip board or your walkie talkie. I know you will be brilliant!

10:19 AM  
Blogger afromabq said...

i love weddings, but would never want to be in charge of planning one. too much at stake. you must be very reliable and have wonderful ideas....but then, we can tell that just by your blog.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Ok...so how about a nice little fluff for you. I think you need a few fluffy, mind wandering books of fluff. :)

Hmmmm or maybe I need a nice bottle of that Chardonnay you're sipping.

xoxo
C

11:10 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

How fun and exciting! I love weddings. When I was a wedding coordinator, my place did 8-10 wedding a week in the high season (!) and still, I never tired of them. To this day I still coordinate my good friends weddings and feel honored to be asked.
Good luck! Great idea for the shower - traditional showers have gotten to be a little mundane.
If you ever need any ideas, let me know - I've seen it all! :)

3:27 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I love your attitude and the bridal shower sounds fab... now how's about handing over the baklava cheesecake recipe!!! Come on, you food whore!! Of course I say that with all the love I have in my heart!!

4:26 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Kels ~ I love that idea! I think I may throw that into the mix! Pun intended!

Auto ~ I really want a walkie talkie headset, but I think J. Sarah will probably deny me one.
:*(

Popsicle Toes ~ Eeep! You just made me nervous! Just kidding! :) Thanks for your sweet compliments!

TG ~ I think everything I post this week must be fluffy and light. As soon as you move, I shall send a bottle over, my dear.

Steph ~ Consider yourself my right hand woman for the next YEAR! :) I am dying to here more about your experiences! Ever deal with bridesmaidzillas? heehee

4:57 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Why are you looking at Martha Stewart magazines? Your descriptions sound lovlier than hers... I may never have mentioned that, but I can always see what you're talking about.

Why aren't you writing your novel!?

4:59 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

BG ~ You can call me a food whore anytime! ;) Let me at least try this recipe and see how it comes out. Since J's awesome brother did it on the cuff, I am nervous I will mess it up!

Heather ~ Give me a good protagonist and I shall. I think you need to make your most recent post about being in the supermarket a short story. Its awesome.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is so lucky to have a friend like you. I am so not the 'zilla type for any event and would prefer to either not get married at all or elope... But it's amazing to have friends who get excited about things for you. I wish I could be like that about weddings.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Just know I'm sending you a hug sweetie. It's good to have great friends. I miss my girl friends. It's hard not having one close by. Now that I'm moving I need to start all over again. LOL..see...life does go on and we just roll with it the best we can.

Hot coffee! I can do a starbucks drink creamy coffee drink, but they're like 1000 calories for a small one!!!!!!!!!!!!! So..hot coffee from my DeLonghi coffee maker. :) You're welcome anytime.
Oooooh and I have pictures now. I need to get them posted.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't I the luckiest?????? I never imagined meeting you in ballet class in 1987 how much I'd be getting in a friend like you!

8:14 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

J. Sarah,
I love you.
You know that story is going to be a part of the toast. :) But please no frets...I already found a way so that your correction is something beautiful!
Love,
Me

8:24 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Yes, but didn't Jane Eyre end up with this disabled guy, tending to him through long years of chronic illness?

Not put a damper on things, I'm just noticing the "Jane Eyre/wedding" theme. Should you consider a more auspicious novel?

How about Babes in Toyland - that whole thing with "Tom and Mary?" Now there's a couple that lived happily ever after...

4:55 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Percy, Dear Percy,

Jane ended up with the man "she loved best." If you read the end carefully, you will note that his eye sight returns. The only part that never healed was his hand. And we all know it takes more than a hand to please a woman.

It takes a big heart. ;)

As for Babes in Toyland, Didnt they live happily ever after thanks to Stanley and Ollie's pee-wee's?

5:06 PM  
Blogger xoxoalk said...

Oh my heavenly hannah, it must run in the family; I am truly, truly a BMZ. But we're not unpleasant about things! We just like to organize fun events! I see nothing wrong with this particular obsession. And I think we need a nicer name, "bridesmaid-mothra" perhaps.

2:35 AM  
Blogger xoxoalk said...

Can I also just add that Chow Magazine had a rice krispie cake featured in a recent issue, and I have ALWAYS WANTED a rice krispie wedding cake??!!

2:36 AM  
Blogger Barry said...

Ok, I thought I posted a comment and was waiting upon blogger approval!!! I guess it is oldtimers disease on my part ...

I think you will make a great plannerzilla !

12:06 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Well, where's the lesson in that? Just a problem with the hand? And I suppose his left?

Your other literary ellusions alude me. Babes in Toyland was a long time ago, when I was a young lad and you weren't born, most likely.

But then Jane was much younger than Mr. Rochester? Rockefeller? Dockerty? So there is hope?

2:25 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Madfoot ~ Does this run on the "K" side of the fam? I remember you with E's wedding planning! AND you registered FOR her! Loved that detail. Are you reading this, J.Sarah? Anywho, as long as its cocoa rice krispies, dear.

Barry ~ Don't be so hard on yourself. I mean, you are just a *tad* busy trying to help Iraqis establish a democratic country whilst supporting the American Army. ;)

Percy, Dear Percy ~ Miss Eyre was 18, Rochester close to 40. That's just hot. I was refering to "March of the Wooden Soliders" which is the original version done with Laurel and Hardy. I dont think either of us were born yet. ;)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Miss Thursday-
Truly, how delightful your Affairs...and sweet your friends are here. J.Sarah is forunate to have you- and the green dress sounds lovely!
I thank you, sincerely, for the kindness you have shown elsewhere...
Enjoyed your blog!
-Cora :)

4:38 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Cora! I am so honored that you came this way! ;) Especially since you have a lot of reading and choosing to do this weekend!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Yes- I have much to read- but a good blog is hard for me to pass up! Your next post, about Ralph- I have to agree with you. He is nothing short of dreamy and I can not imagine seeing him in person! I was a little freaked out by him in Harry Potter- it seemed such a waste to know what a beautiful man was under that mask! :)
I hope you have fun with your friends at the Greek restaurant Friday (I think I had that right)- it sounds like it will be wonderful. -Cora :)

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home