Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Thursday, July 06, 2006

"These objects were visible..." ~ Jane Eyre

There are over 200 photos of Key West taken between me and my father! I chose 50 I wanted to share on my blog, but placing them all together seemed like it would be too time consuming and too long. Hence, I am dividing the photos up into categories; I shall post a set once a week! I wanted to start with images that struck me during the trip, mainly artistic images. There were so many amazing works of art and amazing designs in Key West. The following images dazzled me the most. The text for each photo is below each frame.

It is no surprise that this statue of a matador and a bull sits in Papa Hemingway's home! It was on his coffee table in the living room. Although I have read many manuscripts and seen many photos of Hemingway as an aficionado of bull fighting, seeing an actual 3-d image of his was awe-inspiring. I would like to think that this is a model of Pedro Romero.

These bathroom tiles are located in Papa Hemingway's master bathroom! I loved them. If you look closely, you can see fish in one set of tiles and birds in another. It seems like the perfect decor for a bathroom in Key West, and even more perfect for a man who wrote about one big fish.

Mario Sanchez is a celebrated artist who is a native of Key West. His work is in the form of painted woodcarvings. We saw a beautiful exhibit in the Custom's House. Sanchez's work mainly consists of carving and painting everyday street scenes in old Key West. This is a study of a piece called "Jack's Crawfish." Yes, I took the photo because it is Jack's name, too! Jack is the best name. Ever.

One of the delicious restaurants we ate at is Alice's. She is an amazing chef with a wonderful breakfast menu. On this particular morning when this photo was taken, my dad and I ate "Baby Bennies," which are half an eggs benedict with fresh fruit! This piece of art was above the entryway to Alice's kitchen. If you look closely, you can see a house in the pan. HOME COOKING! It doesnt take much of a play on words to impress this English teacher.

This wooden crab was part of an exhibit on folk art of Key West, located in the Custom's House. What a beautiful carving. Of course this is not the best image of a crab that I ever saw on a vacation. When J.Sarah and I were in San Fran, I took shots of the hundreds of soft shell crabs lined up in vendor's carts in Fisherman's Wharf. Mmmm. My father and I ate many a crabcake in Key West.

This was the bathroom door in Blue Heaven Restaurant. The entire door was covered in hand painted hearts. I thought it nice that someone took the time to decorate it, as well as the rest of the bathroom. I enjoyed looking at all of the artwork in Blue Heaven (more on that later).

My father took this shot. It highlights his incredible artistry as a photographer. This was a gift store next to the dock we left from on a glass bottom boat ride. I love the colors in this photo. Both my father and I are parrotheads, so this shot is rather apropos.

There was a beautiful home being restored by our hotel. This fountain, which has a Mermaid as its center, was beautifully tiled in white and blue. I thought I did a better job at taking the photo, but there was a fence in the way and it was hard to get the camera lens in. Still, there is some detail visible and you can see a dolphin as well.

This is a *manatee* mailbox that homeowners made! It is pretty much life size, and oh so cute! This naked manatee made me think of...well, the naked manatee and his blog of mirth!

19 Comments:

Blogger Slim said...

I love the home cooking frying pan-too cute.

You're correct, your father's shot shows his true artistry. I was struck by the framing of the shot even before reading your description.

Vacation pictures are so much fun! Do you scrapbook?

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh, i love those tiles! They are so reminiscent of M.C. Escher. It would be such a treat to be able to put tiles like that in our bathroom; I love the unusualness of them, along with the kitsch.

Did you go to the butterfly building when you were in Key West? Erik and I did that right after he proposed (and then got an ice cream) and it was fabulous. It was a really special day.

8:53 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

WIP ~ Thanks for the sweet words about my dad! :) In his retirement, he is a wedding photographer! Funny you mention scrapbooking, because my best friend told me that her cousins did one of a trip they took. Do you scrapbook? If so, can I get some tips please? I would appreciate that.

Ariella ~ I told my father when we were at the Hemingway house that your husband proposed there! He said, "good man, good man." Haha! Yes, butterfly conservatory pics are forthcoming; oh how PERFECT that you did that afterwards. :) Where did you get the ice cream from? There were so many great ice cream places there! When I do my Hem house blog, please please please leave a comment in detail for ALL of us about the proposal, ok? I am longing to hear it. Gracias!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Barry said...

Amy - lots of great things to show

12:13 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

How incredible! What fun things to see. Although, I hope that some of your site seeing involved the beach and some sun!!!

12:20 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I love it!! Keep posting the pics...

1:07 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

I like the wooden crab the best. But then, I like nautical stuff.
Nice photography, Ansel Adams!

:)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

I love that mailbox! And how appropriate to post the statue of the matador and bull this week, because this week also marks the beginning of the Festival of San Fermin in Pamplona, the setting for the Sun also Rises - which I'm sure you already knew! :)

1:32 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Great pictures!

*sigh*

I really need a vacation...

I turned one down for next week too! All expenses paid! What's wrong with me?

1:54 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Barry ~I hope the first thing you do when you get home is book a vacation; you deserve one. :)

Kels ~ Beach photos to come. ;) I spent a good amount of time in the pool. My dad took an afternoon nap in the A.C. and I swam my little mermaid heart out.

BG ~ OoooI miss you. I must email you this weekend. Will you show beach photos from your recent vaca? xoxoxo

Maaarty ~ Isnt that crab just amazing? Whoever carved it has real talent. I love nautical themes, too.

Steph ~ Oh yes. Indeed, I hope that one year I can partake in the Pamplona Festival and then head back to Madrid to get red wine and roast suckling pig at Bodin's! :)

Heather ~ YOU. DID. WHAT?!?

4:22 PM  
Blogger David said...

Very nice pics! And that is a spiffy looking mailbox. The manatee gods are assuaged. Hurricanes shall pass over that house.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

When are we going to see pictures of you?

9:34 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

David ~ Glad that the manatee god is assuaged. :) I seriously get the feeling that now whenever I see a manatee, even when I am in my 90's living in Florida and wearing a mou-mou like Blanche in the Golden Girls, I shall think of you!

Thomas ~ Photos of me on this trip are forthcoming, but sometimes I feel I have too many photos of me on this blog already! :)

10:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

loving the pics & the stories.... did you happen to make it to Pepe's? It is in Old Key West... evidently Papa like to go there too to get sotted

they even let me drink when i was like 17 since i was w/ the `rents

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another Hemingway afficionado!

I have tried to model my own sparsely intrepid style, devoid of false ornamentation or convoluted grammar and featuring the tough, spartan, sinewy use of sheer nouns and verbs rather than encumbering my sentence structure with floridly bombastic adjectives; with the aim of similarly achieving an aesthetic noteworthy for its lack of pretension: an easy-looking simplicity disguising the careful orchestration of language that marks the prose of, well, quite frankly, genius. It is but that I am as yet still undiscovered.

12:56 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

QG ~ We didnt make it to Pepe's!
My father become a Sloppy Joe regular for a week, so I had no choice. ;)

Percy, The Genius ~ You sound like Fitzgerald to me. ;) I wonder what a poem by Hem would have looked like. Get cracking, I bet you can do this.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

Hmmm, I'm torn between the wooden crab and the nekked manatee as my fav!

9:02 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

eunuch ~ crab hands down. you cant make crabcakes out of a manatee. ;)

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you got around while you were there. Good for you. For a while there I was thinking it was all drink, drink, drink! :) Hope you don't mind my linking you to my blog. Can't wait to see more photos!

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home