Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Sunday, July 02, 2006



"I was mightily refreshed by the beverage; as much so as a giant with wine: it gave new tone to my unstrung nerves..." Jane Eyre


With all due respect to Papa Hem, I am sure he would understand that my first post of a set of Key West adventures is going to begin with beverages and not the amazing sites seen (those to come later on this week once more photos are developed).

With all due respect to my papa, there was not an excessive amount of drinking on this trip! However, this did not stop us from enjoying drinks in moderation, though I certainly got tipsy twice at Sloppy Joe's (Hem's watering hole). Besides which, it was so hot that most of the liquid we drank was H2O!

Ironically, no Hemingway Cocktails were served anywhere! According to a book my father purchased for me at the Hemingway House, entitled Ernest Hemingway in Key West, Hemingway's favorite cocktail consisted of Cuban rum with fresh lime, grapefruit, and maraschino juice. It was known as a PAPA DOBLE: 2 ounces of white rum, 1/4 ounce of maraschino liquor, juice of half a lime, 1 ounce of grapefruit juice; add all ingredients into a shaker and shake with ice, then serve in a frosted cocktail glass.

Of course MARGARITAS were served in abundance at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. Both my father and I enjoyed them on the rocks (see photo above) and they had a perfect amount of salt on the rim (meaning there was a ton!).

We hit Sloppy Joe's on two afternoons; my father and I just loved the aura of Hemingway's old hangout. The first afternoon there, I took a risk and tried the KEY WEST SUNSET ALE. Although the beer is no longer brewed in Key West, but rather on mainland in Florida, that did not take away from its amazingly delicious flavor. I had two on the first visit (see photo above) and two on the second. I normally prefer wheatbeers to ales, but this was perfectly smooth and refreshing. Needless to say, these were the two occasions in Key West where Papa Hem would have been proud of the "state" I was in afterwards as I walked down Duval Street.

Another beer I enjoyed was at lunch at Cheeseburger on Duval. It was a beer brewed especially for the restaurant called ALOHA SPIRIT BLOND ALE. It was heavy on the palate, but was very smooth and complimented the meal perfectly.

Another delicious drink we tasted was at Alonzo's Oyster Bar. It was the ALONZO LEMONADE, consisting of pink lemonade, contreau, and fresh lime juice.

I was able to taste some delicious glasses of WHITE WINE as well, including a very nice South African sauvignon blanc at Seven Fish.

Still, what was always better than the actual beverage were the toasts my father and I made with them. Many were to Hemingway, some were to the actual trip, and one was to Key West itself.

I think one day this summer is going to be dubbed PAPA DOBLE DAY, where everyone has to make and enjoy the cocktail! Papa's birthday was JULY 21, so I am thinking this should be the day! If you are unable to participate, don't fret; I shall have one for you in spirit. Marachino liquor is hard to come by sometimes, so keep your eyes peeled. You can also order some here:
http://en.luxardo.it/eng/products/our_specialities/liqueurs/maraschino

8 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Thursday:
A whole post about drinks?
You RULE!
I'll be over in a few for a round. Have it ready. Margs for us all, I say! Warning: I tend to blab about anything and everything when drunk. Wait; I do that anyway? haha

:)

11:27 PM  
Blogger David said...

Wow, am I thirsty.

Hey, if you're ever in Idaho I can direct you to some nice Hemingway sites. Most notably his grave in Ketchum. His house is there too, but it isn't open for visitors. (Last I heard they were trying to do just that, but the plans fell through. Or you could stay in
room 206 at the Sun Valley Lodge, which is where he wrote part of "For Whom the Bell Tolls."

5:08 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Miss Marty ~ Margs with you sound faboo! On the rocks or straight up?

David ~ I think after visiting the Keys, the goal is to see more Hemingway stomping grounds! I am disappointed that one can't visit his grave. I bet Hemingway afficiandos book 206 way in advance; that sounds like an awesome experience. What really is devestating is that none of us can visit his home in Cuba. Thankfully the Cubans have preserved it and it is a museum; maybe once Castro dies, things will change.

7:52 AM  
Blogger afromabq said...

dang tiny, it's only 9 in the a.m. and i'm craving a drink! that's not right. well, since tomorrow is the 4th, i'll give ode to your blog! happy 4th!!! :)

12:24 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

What great memories! And twice as nice that you have them with your father. :)

3:17 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I love it!! You're a food whore and a booze hound like me!! I do think we were separated at birth!! Seriously, when are you coming to Nash-vegas!! We have GOT to get together!!

5:03 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Popsicle Toes ~ To quote Jimmy B, it is ALWAYS 5 o'clock somewhere! :) Happy 4th!

Steph ~ Thanks for your kind words. I am so grateful I got to share this trip with my dear old dad. I don't take it for granted. :)

BG ~ I am convinced we were separated at birth. I am the Yankee version of us and you are the Southern version of us. Of course we will get together...I am thinking early fall. :)

8:36 PM  
Blogger Barry said...

In teresting formula for 'truth serum'

3:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home