Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Sunday, September 03, 2006

"Its second rising displayed a more elaborately prepared scene than the last..." ~ Jane Eyre

New York is getting the leftovers from Ernesto this Labor Day Weekend. Now of course I am normally a big fan of leftovers, but not in this case. It is cold, it is wet, it is windy, and it is a total thrust into Fall weather that I am just not ready for.

Still, one of the nice aspects to this kind of weather is that it makes for good movie nights. I normally don't have the time to be a moviegoer (I think the last movie I saw was The Constant Gardener this past Spring?), but luckily I have all the good movie channels on cable here at my apartment.

Tonight, I decided to compose my top ten favorite movie scenes from the *Classics*, complete with typed commentary that is of buttery fingers from popcorn, which really is the best part of any movie. Well, that and the Junior Mints.

1. Stairway to Heaven ~ Lets face it ladies, when Rhett takes Scar-O up the stairs in Gone With the Wind, you are thinking what I am thinking: she is one lucky southern belle who gets to fiddle dee dee with him. I know its not p.c., but hell, its just a scene I am never ever going to forget. By that time I, too, have had just about enough of Ashley Wilkes. He is such a schmuck. Deep down, I always wished that Mellie and Rhett would get together. That would have made for a much better ending than one more Scarlettism.

2. Riding Dirty ~ No one rides dirtier than Messala in Ben Hur. Those spikey wheels on his chariot are so wrong given that he and Judah were once BFF. I love it when Judah wins the race and Messala gets ran over by what could be the entire Kentucky Derby. Poetic justice? Indeed.

3. No Rain ~ I find it refreshing when Gene Kelly gets rid of little goody two-shoes Debbie Reynolds long enough to enter a dream sequence with the amazing dancer, Cyd Charisse, in Singin' in the Rain. I love her green flapper costume, I love the choreography as she holds his hat on her toe and he is on his knees in front of her, and I love the music as they slink together back and forth. Oh, I also love the fact that Miss Charisse is NOT a size four. Or six.

4. I Get Knocked Down ~ No matter how many martinis Nick and Nora Charles consume, the gin-laden olives they eat do not seem to interfere with their excellent detective work in The Thin Man. -"Reporter: Well, Can't you tell us anything about the case? Nick: Yes, its putting me way behind in my drinking. "-

5. Mambo #5 ~ When I was taking ballet classes as a teenager and dancing in the musicals at my high school, I memorized the choreography Anita did in the dance at the gym in West Side Story. It is really damn hard to do without a Bernardo, hence it didnt look quite as amazing as Rita Moreno did as she is doing the mambo in her awesomely sassy purple dress. Actually, my version looked pretty bad. Anyway, each time I hear that music to which the dance-off begins too, my heart begins to race and my feet want to be dancing in high heeled purple shoes to match Bernardo's purple shirt and tie. The Sharks totally won that competition despite Riff's backflips...

6. Rock Lobster ~ Though I have killed many a lobster since last summer when J. Sarah and I did our lobster bake out in the Hamptons, I chickened out on the actual dumping of the two lobsters into the boiling water. J. Sarah took one for the team; I pulled an Annie from Annie Hall. The scene in the Hamptons is a classic, along with one of my favorite lines from a Woody Allen movie: -"Annie, there's a big lobster behind the refrigerator. I can't get it out. Maybe if I put a little dish of butter sauce here with a nutcracker, it will run out the other side."-

7. We Will Rock You ~ Errol Flynn's screen persona rocked my world when I was a little girl and it still does to this day. The Adventures of Robin Hood is definitely one of my Flynn favorites. I absolutely gush over any love scene between he and Miss Olivia as Marion, but my favorite scene is when Robin first appears in the movie, carrying the deer on his back and then brazenly goes to sit down. He puts his feet on the table, grabs a big turkey leg, and establishes that he is, indeed, the man. Prince John should have just given up right there and then.

8. Unbreak My Heart ~ Holly has the right idea to go get breakfast at Tiffany's when she gets the "mean reds." Breakfast at Tiffany's is a favorite story of mine because there is a happy ending despite characters who are jaded, in pain, and a bit lost. Is it a cop out if I say I love every scene? Not just because its Audrey, but because each scene takes place in my beloved New York City? I can't listen to Mancini's "Moon River" without getting all weepy; even when it was featured on Sex and the City, I completely lost it each time I heard it, my huckleberry friends.

9. Teach Your Children Well ~ Though nothing can truly capture the brilliance of Harper Lee's novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, the film adaptation is one I do like. Gregory Peck embodies the spirit of Atticus, and one of my favorite scenes in both the novel and the film is when Atticus shoots the rabid dog. It is in that moment that Scout sees her father in a different light. As children, we have such a limited view of our parents, and a sign of getting older is seeing their wondrous complexities as human beings. Of course I also love the scene where Scout is dressed as a big ham bone for the school play and Scout comments that the walk home with Jem is the longest journey they would ever take together.

10. Behind These Hazel Eyes ~ It was always surprising to me to see sweet "awww golly gee" George Bailey become the neurotic commitmentphobe Jefferies in Rear Window who lets Grace Kelly go at the beginning of the film. Therefore, I am glad when he re-breaks both his legs at the end of the film before marrying Grace (aka Lisa). I guess the fall brought him to his senses. Anyway, I love every scene with Miss Grace, even as she becomes a burgler, especially because of the dazzling A-line skirts she wears in that film.

25 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Great stuff ... "To Kill a Mockingbird" does indeed come very, very close to capturing the magic of Lee's great novel, and that lobster scene from "Annie Hall" still just makes me laugh out loud each time I see it again

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say I am a HUGE Diane Keaton fan. I loved Annie Hall and long for movies that count on the intellect of the audience to put together all of the pieces rather than serving it up so obviously. Woody Allen used to have so much faith in his fan base--not so sure now. Have you seen SCOOP? Yikes! Anyway, thank you for the post--going to update my Netflix queue. Have you read Breakfast At Tiffany's? Awesome.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Barry said...

Hmmm junior mints - as long as they don't fall into a patient!

I think those thin ma movies were great - all of them.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you pretty much hit on my favorite movies too, except maybe for the exclusion of "Planet of the Apes."

3:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

phenomonal post - i LOVE how you were able to connect each song and movie....

btw, "to K a M" was on cable yesterday....

3:54 PM  
Blogger John said...

Wow! How do you do that? I loved how you put a somewhat contemporary song title on some of the best classics ever. That was incredible!

Nicely done.

9:29 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Reel Fanatic ~ Thank you for stopping by! Indeed, every time I prepare lobster, I giggle out loud and think of Annie losing her moxie! :)

Lynn ~ I did read the short story and liked it. It took me a while to warm up to Capote's style, but I do like him. Did you see the film Capote? I loved it - P.S. Hoffmann was amazing. Oh, I love Diane Keaton except when she is Kaye in the Godfather. However, that has little to do with her. I just don't like the character of Kaye at all!

Barry ~ Junior Mints are the best movie candy. Some people may say Twizzlers, which I think its crazy! I am not a Twizzler fan at all. Its good to see you back here; thinking of you and wish you were home already.

Neil ~ Its funny, but "Planet" is one movie I never got into! Aside from my "Star Wars" obsession, there are very few sci fi movies I like. I am not a fan of "2001 A Space Odessey", either.

QG ~ Hi babe. Movies are also a great diversion on weekends before teachers have to go back to school, eh? Thinking of you! Thanks for the kind comment! :)

John ~ I had fun with that one. It clicked as I was writing about "Gone With the Wind" so I just went with it after that!

10:30 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

ik denk atticus finch is finest imagery of manhood in cinema. a strength of elegance, so solid.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

i am ashamed to confess (but clearly not enough as i am confessing) that i like john wayne westerns. i like the western ethos and myth. someday (when i stop procrastinating) i will put together a unit on westerns.

i adore holly-go-lightly and named my cat after her cat. if i didn't live a 30 minute train ride away from tiffany's, i definately have breakfast there.

ah, grace and james. but i also love grace and cary grant - john robie the cat. ah....

my sister and i used to watch the thin man movies on sunday afternoons (and sometimes shirley temple movies too) when we were kids - on our big, black and white tv - no remote - no channel surfing.

wonderful post ThursdayNext.

1:04 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Freya ~ I know what you mean. In my head I have not ruled out naming a future boy Atticus.

Birdie ~ GASP! Ashamed of loving the Duke? Au contraire, bebe! Never be ashamed of loving John Wayne. I would love to lasso he and Dean Martin in RIO BRAVO. Ricky Nelson was cute, but too boyish. Ya know?

2:18 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

yep, i adore all the movies you just listed....along with popcorn and chocolate covered raisins..

10:44 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

OHMIGOD!!!!!

A JW FAN? WHO IS ALSO AN ENLGISH TEACHER????? YOU MEAN THERE'S TWO OF US IN THE WORLD?

WOW!

(sorry for the shouting; i am beside myself with shock and glee).

my family gifted me with about 50 JW movies on dvd last christmas (a joke on their part) and alas, rio bravo wasn't one of 'em. i love the duet that deano and ricky sing together. hahahaha. and angie dickenson - what a hoot!

rio lobo is pretty much the same story,and james caan is funnier than heck with that dang hat.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

For the record...screw the PC...when discussing Gone With The Wind. It's just one of those films that you go with. I love it! However, the books is just so visual and actually my favorite of all time. That's right. Mark that down. GWTW...my favorite of all time. :)
xoxo

9:27 AM  
Blogger Kate Croft said...

What a great selection! I completely agree with oyu about Rhett - he should have ended up with Mellie. Also, factoid about Ben Hur: the director informed the actor who played Messala - but NOT Charleton Heston - that Messala has a romantic.sexual interest in Ben Hur. Charleton Heston was apparently not informed because the director feared that he might drop the role, due to his social conservatism. BUT you must watch the movie with this choice in mind - Messala is so googly-eyed! And that amazing scene where they both "throw the spear" at the crossbeams??! And then they cuddle? Oh yeah.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Oh, it was a great weekend for movies. I watched a few-- napped through a few and really just enjoyed the rainy days-- luckily there was enough sun for some barbeques. It was a good time! xoxo

1:28 PM  
Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

I agree: GWTW is my all-time favorite movie.
Love how you connected the songs & the movies.
One of my faves to add to the list: To Catch A Thief with Carey Grant & Grace Kelly. But what song to pair with it?

1:42 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

Great selection of songs!

6:02 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Schaumi ~ Mmmm. Raisinettes. Mmmm.

Birdie ~ :) Your family rocks for getting you that DVD collection. Now, I must say my favorite movie with the Duke is not a western; it is "The Quiet Man." I *love* his chemistry with Maureen O'Hara. Blogger Barry is a big fan of it, too! :) May I be so bold as to ask if you also like Clint Eastwood westerns?

TG ~ I marked it well, my dear!

Kate ~ I am SO glad someone else out there was also wanting a "Melanie Butler." Doesnt the name sound so great? Melanie Wilkes is all wilty. As for "Ben Hur," the scene that gets me the most is when the two men link arms, drink, and stare at each other in a veeery interesting way. ;) heehee

Kels ~ Glad you got to do some BBQ! I think this weekend will be a total regression for me and I will grill up a whole bunch!

Morgen ~ I love Cary, though "An Affair to Remember" is my favorite of his. I love how he is parodied in "Some Like it Hot" by Tony Curtis!

Eunuch ~ Thank you, sir! :)

7:55 PM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Oh this was good! Buttery popcorn and Jr mints...MY FAVORITES too! :)
When Barry said not to drop them into a patient I laughed so hard the kids ran down the hall to see what was wrong! lol!

I haven't seen Annie Hall, or The Thin Man- I will correct this soon :) Love - Breakfast at Tiffanys- and I just rented How to Marry A Millionaire )Marilyn Monroe...I'm not sure I've seen it all the way through :) I know I enjoyed what I have seen of it on the Movie channel :)

9:14 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

ohh...I loved Annie Hall! My favorite quote is when Alvy says, "Never take a college class where they make you read Beowulf". My father thinks that line is hysterical and reminds me of it all the time b/c I did, in fact, take a college class that required me to read Beowulf--in the old English!!

=-)

9:19 PM  
Blogger ReadItDaddy said...

Gobsmacked someone that side of the pond has read the Fforde books...

I'd have thunk that the humour was distinctly brit-friendly but hey, what do I know...!!!

I shall be very upset if someone over there makes any of the Thursday Next books into a film.

Looking forward to "The War of the Words" next year?

Peej

3:11 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

Alas, The Quiet Man is another one I don't have (though I am sure this Christmas will net both QM and Rio Bravo). I do have McClintock (with Maureen O'Hara as Mrs. McClintock) and it's one of my favorites, despite that wretched scene in the end when GW chases his estranged wife about town and manhandles her, whereupon she reconciles with him(chasing after his wagon in her petticoats).

Clint? Pale Rider is a favorite, along with the Outlaw Josey Wales and Unforgiven. Not happy with the old man Clint - he needs to stop wearing his pants up so high. Do love Rawhide reruns - young Clint - who looks somewhat like a surfer dude even though he's a cowboy. Hahahaha!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

oK. I also have to own up to being a huge John Wayne fan (I have probably seen 'The Quiet Man' more times than anyone else I know...) and I lovelovelove..
Moon River.

Oh sigh. Amy, now what am I to do--I want to re-watch, watch, listen-to, read and re-read everything on your list!! =-)

9:29 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

I just wanted to make a random comment:
Junior Mints ROCK!

(So does butter popcorn.)


Hiya, Thursday!
Nice post. Movies are the best, are they not?

:)

3:37 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Cora ~ I love old Monroe movies! Robin, my sis, loves her! Did you ever see "The Seven Year Itch"?

Ryane ~ LOL! I can't take Beowulf, however I hear that they are making it a movie with Clive Owen? Hmmm. If that is true, than I am in looooove with Beowulf. ;)

Peej ~ Welcome to Eyre Affairs, chappy! Indeed, this Americano is an Anglophile! :) I love your blog.

Birdie ~ I. Love. Josey. Wales. :) I agree with you on the Clint ish: why is he doing all this grandpappy stuff?

Marty ~ Buttered popcorn with wine while making it a movie night is the best!

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home