Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Thursday, August 24, 2006


"Let her go..." ~ Jane Eyre

One of the hardest aspects of the days at the end of August is letting summer go. I sometimes wonder what it would be like to live in an eternal summer spot, such as Key West, but then I feel a pang when I think of all the joys the other seasons give me. Still, letting go of summer is hard on the heart for many reasons. Here are mine...

~ Peaches: There is no better fruit in the summertime than the peach. I like them when they are just a tad overripe because that ensures a real juicy mess when you bite into it. I had one on the beach the other day and just let the juice slide right down my chin since I knew I would be swimming in the water momentarily; the peach inspires a pleasure for messiness. I also love sucking on the pit for a little while after I am done eating the flesh of the peach.

~ Sand: Jack has had two visits to the beach so far and has hated the sand. I think his skin is just so soft right now that the sand irritates him too much. Still, I know he will grow to love sandy beaches just like his family does. I love digging my toes into the sand when I sit on the beach in my popsicle beach chair. It is soothing to the bottom of my feet and I do love the clamminess of the wet sand by the shore and how it surrounds my entire foot after a wave comes in. The other day there were very tiny mussels digging into the sand; it totally fascinated me and I poked at them like some kid. I become quite inspired to try and go clam digging/mussel digging next summer out east.

~ Weber Grill: I hate covering up my charcoal Weber at the end of September with a thick green covering and then placing it on the side of the house. So many great meals are made on it in the summertime, including Shish Kebab, and the smell of charcoal burning is comforting to me. I miss grilling in general when the summertime has ended. Just last night Ed made lobster on the barby for dinner; it was the perfect texture and the spindles had a great grill flavor to them.

~ Flip Flops: I admit I have a few pairs to many, but I live in them for the most part during the days of summer. My favorite pair this summer was from Ann Taylor Loft: a sea green with butterflies on the sole. It is always an awkward moment for my feet when I place boots on in the Fall.

~ Rose: I don't drink Rose except for the summertime. Two nights ago when I dined with J.Sarah, her mother, and her brother at OTTO, I had the Bastianich Rose. It was so crisp and delicious with a darkish pink hue to it. I made the Rose sangria twice and hope to make it once more before Labor Day Weekend is over. Ironically, I drank more Rose than I did my usual summer wine: chardonnay on the rocks with a shot of peach schnapps.

~ Soleil: I admit that I am a sun worshipper and bow down to Ra. I can sit in the sun all day slathered in sunblock and never be unhappy. Shade is overrated when its not humid. I think the sun is the hardest thing to let go of in the summer for purely scientific reasons based on the chemicals in the body and the UV rays.

~ The Times: I read The Times each Sunday morning, but once I go back to work, it becomes a rush job. The process of reading it outside all morning and half the afternoon while slurping iced coffee shall soon be on hold until next July. Now, its going to be just mornings with work waiting after the read.

Other aspects I shall miss are showers after a beach day, hot ballgame days at Yankee Stadium, Root Beer Floats, wearing white sandals, alfresco dining in NYC, the sand pile in the back of my SUV from my beach chairs, the Blackeyed Susans in my yard, bees flying everywhere, Jack in swimmytrunks, summer reading, margaritas, mornings with Em, T, and Boz, carefree crossword puzzle sessions for hours, my bathing suits, Tropical Colada body spray.

As sad as summer ending is, it would be nice to hear what others miss the most when the summer winds begin to fade...

16 Comments:

Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Oh hunny...amen! I'm a toe in the sand girl, love the after sun showers, BBQ at sunset, mmmmmm and so many others.

I made the Sangria recipe! YUMMY! I'm mixing up another batch tomorrow. Thinking of you...
xoxo

1:56 PM  
Blogger afromabq said...

you would love my peach tree....i literally had to throw three trash bags away because it rained so hard last week that it knocked them off before i could get people to come pick 'em. i had already taken 3 bags to work and had a friend pick 4 bags, but that didn't even make a dent. so many lost peaches!

i'm a sandal/flip flop girl. i wear them even in the winter. i hate growing up!

sun, sun, sun - glorious sun. can't get enough! love your list!!!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

"it totally fascinated me and I poked at them like some kid."

Dear Thursday:
LIKE some kid? Who are you kidding? ha No pun intended. Wait, are you saying you're an adult?? What? Am I the only kid on these blogs? It's nice being 12. ha

What will I miss about the summer?
1) Sunshine (I bow to Ra also)
2) Heat (I can't stand to be cold)
3) The idea of 'summer' is what I like best. It's all about free time, relaxed atmospheres, sun, sand, water, sleep, books, and life all around (green grass, flowers, rain, etc).

When all else fails, just think about Tatooine when the weather gets cool. haha (I am such a nerd) ;)

3:36 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

TG ~ I am so glad you enjoyed the sangria recipe! :)

PT ~ Oh I am so sad about what the rain did to your peach tree! Your comment inspired me to just run to the Korean market and get tons of yellow peaches!

Miss Marty ~ I am very serious when I say that the Tatooine exercise will be quite helpful to me during the winter months. Seriously. You think the Jawas sell robots that will carry my beach bag?

4:27 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Oh dear, your list was soo exhaustive, I don't know if I can add to it. Yes, definitely yes to the peaches, the sand, the swimmytrunks on wee little neices and nephews...

I will also miss:
-Fresh corn on the cob
-The sound of June bugs
-My moonflowers that only bloom in the nighttime.

I am sure there are many other things that I am missing... Really though--Fall is my favorite time of year. So as sad as it is for the summer to fade, I have to admit that I am never really that sad to see it go. After all, apple cider is on the way...!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Seskel said...

The most trivial/obvious answer possible: I'll miss the warmth. I'm particularly susceptible to the psychological effects of a bitterly cold winter day. Warmth makes anything seem possible.

Except ice, I suppose.

1:03 AM  
Blogger Slim said...

Strolls outside, walking in and out of local shops, playing outside in the sunshine; Frisbee, catch, kickball, kite flying, swimming, these are all activities we love to do with the kids. During the winter it's too cold for me. I'm an indoors girl all winter long.

One thing I love about summer drawing to a close is the arrival of autumn-my favorite season of all. I love the crisp air, the crunching of leaves beneath my feet, the colors of fall folliage all around me, bundling up in a comfy sweatshirt and worn jeans, apple picking, apple pie, Halloween, Corn stalk decorations, pumpkins, mums. I love the feeling that the earth is bundling up, resting to prepare for next year's warm season, the bounty of life and beauty that next summer holds.

Once fall is over depression sets in because winter is the longest season ever. The first snow fall is pretty, then it's just a cold gray sweeping the landscape and denying me the green that I so enjoy. Though, I must add, I do rather like being bundled in front of a warm fire place on a snowy day with nowhere to go.

9:32 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Ryane ~ I know what you mean. m'dear. I love Autumn, too, believe me! Cider, light sweaters, and football!

Seskel ~ Oh that makes perfect sense. I seriously think I should invest in a sun lamp. ;)

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are going to hate me, but I am really not a fan of summer. If I lived in the 'burbs or even in a more rural town, I would love summer. Summer in NYC is smelly and smoggy and loud and HOT. People are at the end of their ropes here in the heat and I am looking forward to fall. Sweaters, jeans, boots, hot drinks, dark bars, seeing my breath in fresh air.

If I had to choose I would say that I will miss flip flops, iced coffee, cherries, and an excuse for a beach read.
XX
Have a great weekend.

11:07 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

i no you preferring K9. is too bad for freya then.
i wont juffrouw summertime.
i liking a heavy laag von bont and strap on of boot like an armor. de hemel is so blue and crisp to maak a lady pretty. en hiver many more sterren. i love ijs and snowflakes on eyelash. good riddance i say to summer.

2:01 PM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

As usual, the imagery is
ah-mazing!! I like the one about flip-flops, I wear open toe shoes/sandals all summer long... it's going to feel wierd putiing on shoes...

But I can't wait for fall, the changing of seasons are my favorite times of year!!

Email me sweetie, I am getting a little worried about ya... and I miss ya like crazy..

4:32 PM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Dear Friend,
I so wish to spend one part of September at the beach with you in NC~ the summer lives on a little longer here :)

We grill almost year round- minus the months of November-February, but even so, we may get a warm day in December and cook out for fun.

I do miss the sun and the need for an umbrella to protect this pale skin, but "Oh my, tell me yes..." the oystsers are ready in the fall, do you love them, or no?
I don't eat them raw, but steamed - medium. And plenty of beer to go along.
Oh...we might really be sisters if you love steamed oysters the way you do sushi! But if not, I will admire you all the same :)

I miss the coconut smell of the sunblock/ suntan lotion. I miss the pink glow of a day on the beach, I miss the salty taste of the ocean on my lips...
I miss the browned kidos- covered in sand, and exhaused from a day on the beach.

But I miss the fall too...it is coming. Let's enjoy all the seasons :) Christmas is only 4 months away...
ouch! :)

12:16 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

ah yes, the boys of summer are going soon - well, a few more weeks at least. thank god the series is late in the fall - a reprieve.

i will miss mangoes. i am buying and eating two a day - as in a only a matter of weeks -they will be gone - or overpriced. and i am not ready to eat apples, even though the stores are cluttering up their stands with apples. no, no, i'm not ready for fall crops yet.

but i do love a winter beach too. but that's a way's off - thank goodness!

12:51 AM  
Blogger David said...

I prefer the fall to summer, but there are always things that are hard to let go of in any season.

The summer is the only time of the year I get to pick what I read...truly a luxury for a student!

I'll miss the free time & the lazy days & running barefoot through the sprinkler-soaked lawn.

I'll miss the final days of May, when the promise of summer is perhaps more glorious than summer itself.

But what I love is that I discovered your blog during summer vacation and while I'll never have that singular pleasure of reading it for the first time ever again, I get to enjoy subsequent seasons with many t-next thoughts. :)

6:00 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

I just spent twenty minutes responding to everyone's comments and blogger failed me. GAH! I will try to reconstruct the comments in a little while...

xoxoxoxoxo

9:49 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

I miss rafting. I really, really, really miss whitewater rafting. I miss coming home and finding my old black lab snoozing in the long grass of my unmowed front yard. I miss the BBQ even though hubby q-es way into the winter, we don't eat those yummy grilled veggies in the winter. And I miss the endless summer days - here in MT it is light at 5 AM and doesn't turn dark until around 10 PM. It makes for some great nights sitting on the front steps drinking beer.

Here is what I am looking forward to: crockpot cooking, football season, cross country skiing, snowboarding, fall hiking, baking and lots and lots of hot tea!

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home