Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Thursday, July 27, 2006

"Do your thoughts wander then?" ~ Jane Eyre

Thursday's Thursday Thoughts...

~ I think Malavasia is delicious. J. Sarah brought me back a small cask from Sicily and I am sipping some this evening in a small liquor glass. It is better than any port or sherry I have had of late, and that includes a delicious blueberry port from Duck Walk Vineyards.
~ There are thunderstorms again here in New York, and the sky right now sounds like library shelves crashing down. I have Bruce Springsteen's "Thunder Road" stuck in my head. I just finished an excellent book by Emily Giffin titled Something Borrowed, and Bruce's lyrics to that song become thematically entangled into the story quite beautifully. The roads here are certainly filled with thunder and lightening right now.
~ J. Sarah and I just made plans to go see the Edward Hopper exhibit at the Whitney in two weeks. We are big fans of Hopper. Pre-foodie days, J. Sarah and I were known to hit a Chinese place for dinner around here called Tofu. The above painting "Chop Suey" by Hopper reminds me of J.Sarah and I at a table together, sipping oolong tea.
~ Today I tutored Connie; part of her summer assignments with me is for her to read The New York Times daily. We had a really great conversation about politics in the Middle East this afternoon. It is refreshing to get the perspective of a sixteen year old. It gives me hope that future generations will let go of anger and hate and violence. To quote her: "It makes me want to stand up on the top of the world and yell down to everyone, "Cant we all get along and eat ice cream together?" Connie and I had ice cream together this afternoon that was Korean. I cant think of any culture that doesn't have some sort of sweet creamed dessert in it. She has a point.
~ I think Panera Bread has become one of my favorite eateries over the past few years for a quick bite. I ate half a sandwich tonight from Panera. It is my favorite one there: the frontega chicken panini. It is grilled rosemary and onion foccacia with chicken, tomatoes, red onion, and cheese inside. I can't believe I ate just half, but I am proud that I did.
~ I bought six jars of Got2be Kicked Up Hard Jelly today. I think this is, by far, the best hair product my curls have ever experienced. I dont need six jars, but it is so good that I fear ever running out of such an amazing gel. Who knew gluey glop could make these curls so perfect?
~ Linda invited me to the U.S. Open with her this year; I thought that was so kind of her. I think it is for a daytime pass on the first Friday. I went a few years ago with Cassie and we watched Venus play at Arthur Ashe. It was such a special sporting event. As much as I love getting down and dirty with overflowing beer in paper cups at a baseball game, there was something so nice about sipping red wine in my seat as I watched perfect backhands from Venus.
~ Jack has a small eye infection (a clogged tear duct) that has me sad and upset. It is nothing, of course, but it is awful knowing he is in discomfort. When I saw him today, his eye was all red and my heart sank. Of course I project discomfort on him because I assume he is, but meanwhile he seemed very happy to be pulling my hair and giggling as we took a few steps on the floor.
~ I read some poems by Walt Whitman today; I think I have not read enough Whitman lately. I want to sit down with Leaves of Grass this weekend.
~ I have a very odd fascination of late with the piano-playing capabilities of Condi. I think I would be very interested to hear her play in her quartet. Robin and Missy played the piano as children, but I was too busy with ballet classes to learn it. Instead, I played the cello whilst in school. No, I was no Yo-Yo Ma. I am sure most musicians agreed that my cello playing abilities were quite a no-no.

18 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

"The sky right now sounds like library shelves crashing down."

What a great metaphor!

(I love metaphors the most.)

:)

11:40 PM  
Blogger Barry said...

Had to stop by and get some 'culture' today. This post seemed to go all over the place, but has culture and friends all over it....

1:51 AM  
Blogger Vixen said...

I will have to try Malavasia! Sounds delicious!

Nothing like listening to some summer thunderstorms! After months of very little rain here in TN, it is going to rain for the next 3 days and I am looking forward to staying inside reading, watching movies and listening to the rain! :)

I need to find that hair product you speak of! Maybe it can help control my wild natural curls!!!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Slim said...

I love the painting! Wonderful selection. Were you aware of its existance ahead of time or did you happen upon it for this post?

And I MUST try some of that blueberry port.

7:59 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Marty ~ Ah, its always nice knowing others live for metaphors, too. ;)

Barry ~ Sorry this post was such a splattering! My mind is all over the place this week, hence the Jackson Pollack-esque post.

Vixen ~ I hope you enjoy the cozyness of thunderstorms this weekend! Your activities sound perfect. You can order Got2b here:
http://www.drugstore.com/products
/prod.asp?pid=153886&catid
=3562&brand
=43417&trx=PLST-0-BRAND&trxp1=3562&trxp2
=153886&trxp3=1&trxp4
=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-BRAND&cmbProdBrandFilter=43417

WIP ~ I actually have loved Hopper since high school and discovered all of his paintings then! This particular painting hangs in my kitchen, along with "Nighthawks."
:)

8:38 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Thursday--that is a beautiful painting. And as for the Got2Be products--you are soo right: they are amazing. If you haven't, you might also try Frederic Fekkai Glossing Creme...also great--and it works on both curly and straight hair.

8:44 AM  
Blogger David said...

Ah, how nice it is to escape into your world, t-next! :) Reading your passages are like taking wonderful 10 minute food/culture vacations. Even better, they're vacations with the best companion and guide one could ask for.

You mention "Thunder Road." I was listening to the live version of "10th Ave Freeze-out" yesterday. Which led me to randomly, throughout the day, interject "Miami horns, ladies and gentlemen!" into conversations.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

On Condi on the piano.

Five bucks she was playing "Heart and Soul". If Condi would let me, we could duet Heart and Soul. Then I would tell her to let her hair be curly. Oh, I would also destroy her entire collection of lipstick and then I would remind her that she is black and we would go shopping for some cute outfits. Condi and me in a campaign to find her soul.

10:59 AM  
Blogger afromabq said...

we've been having the best thunder/lightening storms here in abq this past month. last night was no exception.

how awesome to have a political conversation with a 16 year old. i love engaging people to talk religion and politics (it doesn't happen much - it stresses people out), but to do it with a youngster is great.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

And just how would you know what "library shelves crashing down" would sound like?

Frustrations, Miss Eyre?

11:49 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

I think your little Connie sounds like a smart girl... I hate it that little Jack isn't feeling well.. hope he gets to feelin better soon...

Oh to go to the US Open!! That would be awesome... you'll have to give us a full report..

I just love reading your posts, it's like they transport me to another place!!

Have a great weekend dahling!!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

What a wonderful post to read as I am trying to unwind before I leave work and prepare for vacation :-) I ALWAYS always get the frontega chicken. I used to the the half frontega chicken with the fandango salad or whatever it was, then they got rid of it. So sad. Now, I get the greek salad.

Oh curls!! I want some. My hair is always oh so straight.

I hope Jack feels better.

Have a wonderful weekend!!! xoxo

4:46 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Ryane ~ Oooh thanks for the recommendation! I shall go searching for the line this weekend!

David ~ Thank you for your sweet words, as always! I hope you do come to New York for a visit soon. As for Tenth Avenue, I'm gonna sit back right easy and laugh...

Auto ~ You are so awesome, you know that? Your comment made me laugh so hard it hurt! :) I love the way you call things here and on your blog. Have an awesome weekend!

PS ~ As I read your comment and reply, it is pouring here once again with loud thunder! Its cozy, isnt it?

Percy ~ I am sure it would not surprise you are anyone reading this that during high school I worked at the village library. There was an unfortunate incident with a shelf while I was on shift there, so I am well aware of what it sounds like! :)

BG ~ Hi babe! I am off to see Jack in a bit. I called twice today and my sister said, "ITS JUST A SMALL EYE INFECTION!" Sigh. She is right, I guess, in that this is the least of what could be ailing him. Except that makes me feel worse knowing if he is in pain in the fture. Oh I digress! Anyway, have an awesome weekend babe! xoxoxoxoxo I will email you in the morning.

4:50 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Kels ~ I know! I loved the Fandango salad...all those great manderin oranges and the yummy raspberry viniagrette! Happy Vacation Kels! To quote Madonna: "you need a holiday!" xoxo

10:24 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

Whitman is one of the few poet-philospohers I'm willing to read. Enjoy Leaves of Grass this weekend. Cheers to your Malavasia!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

"The sky right now sounds like library shelves crashing down." -- I concur -- great stuff. I very much like the way you paint with words.

I shouldn't be on the comp because there's a bit of thunder rumbling here, too -- however, above the clashing of the gods I hear the racous stereo in the muscle car gyrating out on the street.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hi!

1:39 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Eunuch ~ Isnt Whitman amazing? I love his sense of individualism. And of course he is quite the patriot. So few people realize that Captain was written for Lincoln!

QuillD ~ Reminds me of when I was doing a paper in college during a storm and we lost power. Well, not only did we lose power, I didnt save as I went along so I lost 5 pages. Argh!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

For some reason, I really like this picture. Anyone know if its for sale?

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home