Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Thursday, July 13, 2006


"She lay some minutes exhausted..." ~ Jane Eyre

I am exhausted this evening, so I hope Kate will not mind the meme I am borrowing from her this evening. I shall not borrow the pistachio biscotti recipe she posted today; I shall take it with pleasure and not return it! It will be perfect with soorj (Armenian coffee) that I make in my jesveh.

5 Things in my Freezer
1) frozen udon noodles from HMart; they are so delicious. I love nabe yake udon, a japanese hot pot with udon noodles, veggies, and shrimp on top.
2) lowfat coffee ice cream
3) Frosty Paw treats for dogs. I had them for Chaz's dog, Bruce. Alas, I shall never see Bruce again, so I suppose I must throw them away.
4) my homemade bolognese sauce
5) frozen edamame

5 Things in my Closet
1) my Burberry quilt jacket in red
2) a red kimono with a black dragon pattern
3) three suits from Ann Taylor Loft
4) my Vera Wang bridesmaid dress from Missy's wedding six years ago
5) my lime green sandals from Banana Republic that I purchased on Newbury Street in Boston

5 Things on my Five Bookshelves (these five do not even constitute 1% of what is on them!):
1) My Shakespeare Nutcracker
2) Hemingway's novels
3) Shakespeare's plays
4) three dictionaries
5) Maupin's Tales of the City series

5 Things in my Handbag:
1) A photo of Jack
2) Chanel lip gloss in "zanzibar"
3) my educator's discount card for Barnes and Noble
4) hand cream
5) to-do lists

5 Items from my To-Do List
1) book a massage
2) go to the bank for a deposit
3) mail car insurance bill
4) call to get carpets cleaned
5) peruse Bobbi Brown counter for makeup ideas for J. Sarah's wedding (I shall also be her makeup artist that day!)

Recipe for Soorj (Armenian Coffee):
This strong coffee can be made sweet, unsweetened, or in between. The long-handed brass pot is called a soorjaman. Coffee should be ground very fine. If you don't have a grinder, Armenian coffee can be purchased in larger supermarkets or Middle Eastern specialty stores. It is traditional in the Middle East to use the coffee grounds (as Oriental tea leaves) to tell the future. After the last sip is taken, the cup is turned upside down on the saucer so that the grounds can run down the sides and form patterns that are "read" to reveal what is in store. *My great grandmother, Haiganoush, did this when she was alive*

Ingredients
2 Tablespoons roasted powdered coffee
1 heaped teaspoon sugar
3 small coffee cups water
tiny pinch ground cardamom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Preparation
Combine all the ingredients in a long-handled coffee pot or tiny saucepan
Stir well and bring to a boil.
As the froth forms on top, remove the pot from the stove, stir again and return to the heat until the froth rises again.
Be very careful the coffee does not boil over.
Boil it briefly again, then set it aside for a few seconds.

17 Comments:

Blogger Vixen said...

Love Newbury Street...Boston Rocks!

11:43 PM  
Blogger David said...

Silly question: what is a meme?

Doggie treats...go to the park. Make friends with strange dogs.

Edamame...mmmm that goes with the best sushi in the world...San Diego's Ono Sushi.

As for your Tales of the City series... You just had to rub it in, didn't you? ;)

Dave, stuck with book #4.

4:25 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Vixen ~ I must amend Boston Rocks: Boston Rocks EXCEPT for the Sox! ;)

David ~ "As defined by Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976): "a unit of cultural transmission, or a unit of imitation." "Examples of memes are tunes, ideas, catch-phrases, clothes fashions, ways of making pots or of building arches." In other words, its a writing idea that is imitated! :) Good idea about making friends with new poochies. I think I may have to do a sushi post sometime soon!

Cora ~ I know you left a comment here, but my aol decided to cut out when I was publishing it! :( Apologies, fair mayden. Ralph Fiennes post shall follow this weekend!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Barry said...

So, three suits is one thing? ha ha!

OK, I will behave

7:42 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Barry ~ You DO remember that I teach English and not math, right? ;) Oh, don't be on good behavior for my sake. I shall have to rationalize by saying they are under one umbrella label!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

I didn't know what I was going to type, but looked down at your response to David. LOL..Oh baby! I love it when you go all English Teacher in your responses!

I'm going to steal this Meme from you, too.

Oh the baby is sooooo cute! The M had a horrible labor and ended in a C-section, but Jacob..baby Jake..or his nickname of Mudge..is soooooooo gorgeous! I can't wait to just snuggle him.

Ps...I hope you're feeling ok babe. I'm thinking of you.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

I agree - take those frosty paws to a dog park. You will have many instant friends!

OMG - I love frozen endamame. DELISH!

Have a great weekend and cheers!

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zanzibar, huh? Is that where the Zanzibarbarians are from?

I absolutely LOVE nabeyake udon. Mmmmm. I swear, I should have been born in asia because I like their food better and above all others. This Saturday, my friends and I are going to Chinatown in NYC for some delicious dim sum; I am going to wear my expandable pants!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Slim said...

5 Reasons I cannot do this meme:

1. I don't have a single article in my closet with the name of a famous designer attached.

2. I'm lazy

3. I'm not sure how to pronounce 'meme' (Thank you David for finding out what a meme is)

4. My bookshelf is an atrocious MESS

5. I'm fixated on how I can go about getting an 'Educator's Discount Card' from B&N without becoming an educator.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any other occasion to wear the bridesmaid's dress? They always sell you with the "you can wear it again" line and then it sits and sits and you never wear it. I bet it's beautiful, though, Vera Wang is so classic and simple.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Five Things I Wish Were in my House

1) Brad Pitt
2) A million dollars
3) Wine
4) Margs
5) AA pamphlets

haha

:)

4:19 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

TG ~ Congratulations from one aunt to another! :) I saw the photos of Jake on your blog; he is adorable. I talked baby talk to him for a good two minutes! I am feeling ok; each day gets better! Thanks for all of your kind words, C.

Auto ~ I think I may have to get my own pooch! The only thing that I sometimes get wrong on the frozen edamame is the salt I put on afterwards!

Ariella ~ Dim Sum? Oh my heart be still! Enjoy it! My favorite piece is the sticky pork rice in the banana leaf! Mmmm.

WIP ~ The suits are a size four and I am a size 8 right now if that makes you feel better. ;)

Lynn ~ I have weird sentimentality, so I don't know if I could wear the dress again! It could be shortened to an a-line, but I want to keep it just the way it was on that special day!

Marty ~ Honey, why is there no wine in your house? That seems odd to me. Add that to your Saturday morning errands!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Thursday:

The wine supply shall be restocked. But honestly: Why do people think me a huge wine drinker???
Was it something I said?
(smiles)

:)

9:12 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Marty, I just assume that literary nerds like us are also wine snobs! ;)

9:55 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

Totally off subject...you need to watch the new movie, Casanova, with Heath Ledger.

10:31 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Hi Eunuch!
Ooo. A movie recommendation. Cassanova? Even the name has my attention! Ok, sir, I shall do so! :) Glad you come home soon!
TN

10:34 PM  
Blogger Kate Croft said...

Hooray! You took my meme! I fogot to tag anybody with it at the end of my post, so I'm glad you picked it up voluntarily. I liked your addition of the five things on your to-to list...and the coffee sounds spectacular =)

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home