Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Saturday, July 15, 2006

"Where the Northern Ocean, in vast whirls, Boils round the naked, melancholy isles..." ~ Jane Eyre

*post originally handwritten at 8 o'clock in the morning*

I sit alone this morning, inhaling the thickly salted sea air and watching white crests of the waves align themselves in perfect symmetry on the horizon.

It is barely past 8 o'clock in the morning. There is no one here except for a few joggers and an entire clan of seagulls, probably still digesting yesterday's food - that is how plump they are underneath their sand-speckled white exteriors.

My coffee is still warm; I sip it slowly. It is a very quiet morning, save the sounds at the shoreline and my sips at a dome lid.

There is a slight chill, especially since the sand surrounding my feet is cold. However, it is refreshing, and my toes feel good with the sand squished in between them. I have no layers on - just my two piece. I smiled when I put it on earlier because I love the pattern and warm colors of the tank.

The notebook page I write on becomes damp by the ocean air. I can already feel my thick curls become damp and salty just by a quick brush on them with my palm. I think I love my hair best when it is like this. It may look a tad wild, but to me it feels perfect.

Moments later, a thick fog rolls in. The density of it makes the line between the ocean and the horizon blend as one. The fog seems a bit apropos because a part of myself feels as if it were in a fog lately. It is not for any one particular reason, rather just a combination of things. I don't come here this morning to escape my life or forget what is happening in the world. I come to sit in peace and reflect more than anything else.

I daydream a bit about Jack at the beach, and I feel a sense of excitement for the family beach days to come when he builds sand castles and tries to dodge the water at the shoreline, as many little ones love to do. I picture him in shark swimtrunks with a little pouch hanging over the waist area, chasing seagulls as his curls become thick with sand. I picture myself happily walking in the hot sand, joyfully burning my feet, to go get him ice cream or frozen fruit bars, and I smile inwardly to myself.

I walked down to the shore line just a moment ago, and a line of seaweed is covered in clusters of sea foam. The foam is beautifully glistening in my eyes, but the seaweed beneath makes my stomach growl. I think tonight I will have to have some miso soup and sushi to appease my seaweed cravings.

My chair is periwinkle. I purchased it at Crate and Barrel a few years back; it was part of their "popsicle chair" line; the back is shaped like the curvature of a popsicle. In my large beach bag, I carry a red, orange, and yellow stripped towel that I have no intention of using this morning. There is sunblock, my keys, my cell phone. The bag also carries my notebook, as well as a great mystery book called "Sticks and Stones" by mystery writer Diana Mott Davidson. (E's mom recommended the series to me since the amateur sleuth is a caterer and there are recipes throughout the books). I will probably read a few pages, but I plan to close my eyes and take a light nap for a while. There is a reason why there are cd's made of ocean waves: it is the most relaxing sound there is in this world.

D.R. was incredulous as to why I was up so early on a weekend morning to go to the beach. I told him that "non-beachies" like himself just don't understand. So, I post these thoughts for the non-beachies, in hopes of converting him...I mean them...into an morning ocean worshipper like me.

21 Comments:

Blogger Kate Croft said...

Thank you for this blissful little beach vacation! As a beachie myself, I completely understand the morning-on-the-bach impulse. Lovely post!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

This is not at all silly.

So then: Do you play Frisbee on the beach?

1:03 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Kate ~ I would love to know what your perfect menu would be for a day at the beach! Maybe you can do a post on that?

Percy ~ Why, only if the mermaids are up early enough to play with me, dear P.B.S. (Perpetuating Bountiful Sillyness)

1:18 PM  
Blogger Barry said...

I am not a beachie, nor a morning person. But i understand how the bestest time at the beach is in the early morning (or late at night)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

To speak more seriously then:

It seemest me that though thou ey're be upon or near the sea, it might just be - what... I know not mine geography - the Baltic, Black, or Russia Sea?

For there is such variety of nomenclature for thee: Jane Eyre, ThursdayNext, and even sometimes just plain Amy.

Reminds me less of English lit than characters from Tolstoy or Fyodor Dostoevska-sky - wherein we find a mutliplicity of names for single characterzahoshniboskakis.

Art thou then, in truth, ThursdayNextkikoshky? Jane Eyraofnovich; and even Amyoshi Kareninaivanivaolskapi?

6:27 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

PS: Truly thinkest thou that PBS be Silly?

Verily, I may have watched too much of that "cultural programming"; it seems that it may foment some faint, wan, light, and mild patina on the brain that does no good...

6:32 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

Ah, I can understand early morning outings to the beach. Just a couple of weeks ago I did the same and wrote about it just recently. You make me want to go back instantly.

6:38 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Things to do if you're in a fog:

1) Scream, "Bloody HELL!"
2) Yell, "I can't frickin' SEE!"
3) Make 'ghostly' sounds
4) Ask 'Where's Storm when you need her?' (X Men)
5) Cough and yell that you will sue the bastard that invented fog. Oh. Sorry, God.

;)

Sending hugs your way, dear.
xxxxxxxxxx

7:12 PM  
Blogger Kate Croft said...

I've got a family vacation cook-off coming up in august, so expect a summer beach dinner post around then =)

8:07 PM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Lovely- makes me want to go back straightaway- Just like Schaumi :)

And I had Sushi for dinner tonight, and Miso soup! My favorites! :)

"morning ocean worshipper..." wonderful :)

8:52 PM  
Blogger Eunuch said...

Wonderful to take a 5 minute mental vacation to the ocean. Thank you!

9:51 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Barry ~ Well, I guess you have been around sand too much lately. Are you a poolie at least? I hope so. :)

Percy ~ How close you are, sir. While I am not Russian myself, my country was a part of the USSR (now independent). Though Russian is not the primary language of my people, many do speak it. In truth, sir, I am not Anna Karenina but Anna Kornikova. I have one happening back hand, let me tell you. PBS cultural programming that does no good? Mister Rogers taught me eveything I know!

Schaumi ~ Delighted to have you visit here. ;) Heading back to your blog to read about your beach morning...

Miss Martypants ~ What about screaming, "ICEBERG, RIGHT AHEAD!" ? Love your advice, dear. Love the coughing idea! xoxo

Kate ~ I cannot wait to read that post and about this cookoff. Are there catagories? Do you have recipes pre-planned? Oooo this will be fun!

Mayden ~ Great minds think alike when it comes to Japanese food, methinks. What is your favorite roll? I love yellowtail and scallion. Mmmmm. Do you add lots of wasabi?

Eunuch ~ Pretty soon you shall be home, hopefully planning some great vacations for yourself! Glad I could send a bit of the ocean your way today! Hang in there...you will be back here soon.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Slim said...

I was just speaking with some co-workers last night about early mornings at the beach and how lovely they are because nobody is around. Late evenings are nice as well. The lapping sound of the waves without all of th motorboats and sreaming humans is so wonderfully calming.

You captured the moment perfectly. I can totally see Jack's belly hanging over those trunks.

It's nice to see that your fog hasn't effected your writing!

xoxo

11:39 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Your right there is nothing like the sounds of the ocean waves crashing against the shoreline. Reminds me of camping at Asseteague. I miss that.

1:46 AM  
Blogger David said...

Beautiful as always, Amy. I visited the Oregon coast last year. I drove up the coastal highway in the dusk and rain and got out and looked across the immense, roiling blackness, listened to the roar of the surf, and felt the drops of rain on my skin. It was one of the few times in my life that I could say that I glimpsed eternity.

8:52 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

WIP ~ I think that the beach experience loses so much when its crowded and radios are blasting and seagulls are diving at potato chip bags! I do enjoy those afternoons, too, but its nicer when its a bit more quiet. Aw, yes, Jack's got such a cute pouch right now that I hope it stays for a while! Congratulations once again on your engagement, my dear.

Vix ~ I would love to hear about Asseteague. Did you see the wild horses? That must have been lovely.

David ~ That sounds beautiful. I have only seen the Pacific Ocean twice in my life, which is certainly not enough, but it has a character that is quite different from the Atlantic. Maybe it is more majestic?

9:03 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

oh this is lovely - you inspire me.

beachcomber that i am - i've not been out in the early morning in quite a while - mostly afternoons these days to watch the surfers.

sigh. will have to go this week. i vow to take only my notebook (well, I suppose other items will be necessary as well) and leave student papers behind. i'll walk, pluck shells from their nesting spots, then sit and think and dream and write. yes. perfect.

thank you!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Goshky!

The Atlantic is the more majestic, graced as it is at Kennebunk by the Bush compound and seeing how King George I has made this the most regal of all presidencies...

1:12 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Bird ~ Oh yes, student papers do NOT belong at the beach! Or anywhere enjoyable for that matter! Keep them on the desk, I say. That is where mine always are!

Percy ~ Uh, the only royalty I know living off the Atlantic Coast is in a Compound for a Dynasty known as Kennedy. You know, the family where the King of Camelot came from?

2:56 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Great post! I feel like I am there. Thank you. Montana is hot and dry right now. The weather guessers said that it is going to be 97 today with a high chance of dry thunderstorms. Dry Thunderstorms. That means fires. But will I care, no, I am happily dipping my toes in the ocean thanks to you.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

I'm afraid the Bushs are at Kennebunkport too. I guess not a "compound" - just a rich mansion?

I think it's Dad and Mom's place, but would assume George Junior gets to go there, and maybe gets to bring his cabinet sometimes to build sandcastles and play with toy soldiers to help them plot strategy more effectively...

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home