Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

"A kind of pleasant stupor was stealing over me..." ~ Jane Eyre

Last night I was in a sushi stupor thanks to my samurai-esque sidekick, my twin sister.

I had been craving slabs of slimey raw fish over starch for a good week, and I needed a fix badly. I am very fortunate that I can depend on my family members for anything, especially my twin. While at work yesterday afternoon, my itch for iciban was getting worse. I called her for help.

There was no time for formalities. I said hi and immediately presented my problem: I was in a bad hamachi maki withdrawal. She had informed me that she already ate sushi the night before at Sushi-Ya. I had a brief moment of sadness; I did not want to eat sushi alone in my apartment - it is the only food that I love that needs to be eaten right where it was made. However, being the amazing sister that she is, she understood. Considering the help she has given me in the past, this assistance from her in the present was easy! So, Homura Sushi it was at 7:30pm. I already felt better, kind of like the way a little wasabi makes soy sauce taste better.

Robin was the first in this Armenian family to eat sushi. She started cautiously with California roll, but she has since become a sushi aficionado. With coaxing from her and J.Sarah, I, too, became a sushi aficionado. Robin is definitely a Spicy Tuna Roll and Sake girl, but she branches out quite nicely. Of late, I think I have one-upped her with my fondness for unagi. Yes, that would be eel. I am still too chicken to try the octopus raw. Then again, she one-ups me in the Japanese beverage department because I can't handle sake very well.

My sister Missy and my brother-in-law have also developed a palate for sushi, so we have some take-in nights together which are always quite enjoyable. My mother does not like the fact that her three children and son-in-law consume raw fish with pleasure. Lectures have come up, but they are quickly ended. Still, I did buy baby Jack a book called, My First Book of Sushi just to get her riled up. She gets upset when I tell her Jack could start eating sushi when he is around five years old. "Four years to make sure he won't," she quips.

At 28, my sisters and I don't really listen to my mother anymore, so last night I picked up Robin from the train station and we went straight to dinner. I love the sushi restaurant experience of getting a nice hot washcloth to wipe my hands on before dinner and the awesome Asian elevator music that plays in the background. Homura is actually pretty funky and has some great decor, but at least the towel and the music are classic sushi spread.

I love my conversations with sis over sushi. We always have fun and enjoy ourselves, but the conversation always leads to discussing being single and dating. Cliche Sex and the City, but there is a reason why that show is so popular! Since I am on a dating break(whew!), I got to hear Robin dish last night about dating. Its kind of hard being objective as a sister. I basically feel that if the potential male does not treat her like the Queen of Sheba and isn't perfect in 99% of the ways, he has no business with sis. I think I am more harsh than my father is. And I like it that way.

I thanked Robin profusely for having sushi again, because I was so excited to be in that chair at that table watching the sushi chefs make my plate. The waitress came and I gave her the biggest smile I had.

Nothing goes with a nice, buttery textured yellowtail piece than a niece buttery textured chardonnay. When I crave sushi, it is always either with a glass of white wine or with a Kirin Light. I had the chardonnay last night; it is a perfect pairing for fish. I ordered Sushi Regular, and it came with miso soup. I love miso soup and can eat it even on the hottest night in the summer and feel good. Sis did a mix of sushi and sashimi, but we decided that we were not hungry enough for edamame, are other usual order when dining out at a Japanese restaurant.

The only thing I regret about sushi dinners with sis is that they don't last long enough, because after sharing a room as kids I feel we still don't spend enough time together, but at least there is always the next week go back out again for some excellent Tekka Maki!

Some Sushi Sundries
~ I have a major crush on Iron Chef Morimoto and in my dreams he teaches me how to make sushi.
~ My favorite roll is yellowtail and scallion.
~ I place only a dab of wasabi in my soy sauce and I do not use ginger.
~ I have mad chopstick skills.
~ My first visit to Nobu was wasted on me (this was pre-sushi me) and I had chicken teriyaki. A shame, isn't it? I have made up for it since.
~ One of my favorite restaurants in the city is Japanese, but it does not serve sushi. It serves small plates (kind of like tapas gone Japanese). It is called Kasadela.
~ I always say I will order Chirashi because it looks so good and I never do.
~ I had a hard time when my friend Pops took me to Monster Sushi last summer. I don't care how big your mouth is, the sushi served there will not fit. It gets messy.
~ Green tea after sushi is a must in the wintertime.
~ One of the best episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm involves Larry being called "chicken teriyaki boy" at a sushi bar.

Sushi Sites (and Kasadela)
~ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1582460507/103-0108382-5991013?v=glance&n=283155

~ http://kasadela.com/

~ http://www.chefmorimoto.com/

~ http://www.noburestaurants.com/

~ http://www.echopsticks.org/how-to-use-chopsticks.html

34 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

"I can't handle sake very well."

Note to self: Remember this, so I can get Thursday ripped sometime.

hahaha

JK, dearest.

:)

7:37 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Martypants ~ Oh I am reaching that point here, believe me! Do you sake? J. Sarah has had shochu, but I can't even put that to my lips!

8:01 PM  
Blogger puerileuwaite said...

Hi Amy. Now, after having read your post, you have ME craving sushi. I used to practically live on the stuff during my travels.

I've enjoyed perusing your blog. Thank you for stopping by mine, and for leaving a comment.

By the way, I wish that you hadn't mentioned that you are a teacher of English literature. The resulting pressure has likely forced me into the improper usage of grammar in this comment.

8:25 PM  
Blogger puerileuwaite said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:35 PM  
Blogger puerileuwaite said...

Oops, I didn't intend to post twice (three times, counting this one). Only now do I see that you are moderating comments. Sorry.

8:38 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

P ~ Thanks for coming to visit this way! I loved your latest post; indeed, my mother could have taken out that sushi ad! haha! Oh dahling, I ONLY correct grammar when I am getting PAID to do so! You can comma splice any time you want here! :)

8:50 PM  
Blogger Slim said...

Thursday, I'm sorry, but sushi is simply a no-can-do. I truly do my best to be open to new experiences but I simply cannot.eat.raw.fish.

I realize this comment is somehwat blasphemous in light of the passion with which you describe your sushi experience. BUT: I won't eat fish COOKED! Raw=BLECH!

However, it does make a pretty picture...and I'm glad it gives you such pleasure :-)

xoxo

9:14 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

P ~ Not a problem! You can leave as many as you like! :)

WIP ~ Hmmm. I guess this means my suggestion to serve some nice raw tuna carpaccio is out for cocktail hour at your wedding? (sigh) You are awesome anyway, chicken teriyaki gal.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Slim said...

Well, I'm a vegetarian...so, can it be SOY teriyaki?

9:29 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

WIP ~ Tofu teriyaki it is, gal!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Darius said...

I have a cousin who is a major sushi fan. For me it's just so-so. I'll always remember the first time I ever had it though. She'd taken me to a Japanese restaurant. I noticed this light green colored condiment. I wondered what it tasted like. It was in this tiny cup. I put about half of it in my mouth and swallowed...

9:56 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Darius ~ My eyes welled up and my mouth felt sympathy pains after reading your comment. I am getting woozy...(thump).

10:10 PM  
Blogger afromabq said...

how do you do it?? you even make sushi sound good!!?? i don't even like sushi but thursday makes it sound like sliced bread WITH butter. (i still won't eat it though.)

i have a sister named robin and she's my bud...i adore her.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I was reading along just fine until I got to Darius' comment -- then suddenly I couldn't breathe!

Thanks for stopping by my blog and luring me back here. Now I want sushi and here it is bedtime ....

2:08 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Popsicle ~ Whilst on the subject of bread, ever put nutella on yours? Mmmmm. Cheers to the Robins! They make for great sisters! xoxo

QD ~ I hope that you have sushi for lunch perhaps? ;)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love sushi. I miss the little sushi place at the end of our old block in Brooklyn. Hrmphh gotta get out of long island.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Amy! I have been craving sushi. I want some so badly, but you are right it is best eaten with a someone else where it was made. I need a sushi fix, and some sake. Fabulous post. Of course, it is 8 30 in the morning and I want sushi....:-)

8:42 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

You big food whore!!! Jiminey Crickets, is there anything you WON'T eat?? hehehe... I'm a bit of sushi virgin... I'll eat the crunchy shrimp, but that's about it..

Ok, for the fall gathering, I'm gonna have to fix fried chciken, creamed potatoes, peas and biscuits!! You need you some good southern cookin!!

1:01 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

I really enjoyed your comments about the sushi. Up until now, I would only eat rolls (and of course, edamame), but now I am intrigued enough by your descriptions to try the real deal. Thanks...

3:05 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

beachgirl, Do you make your peas like I do-- from the can??? :-)Also, we'll have to have sweet tea with it. No worries. I'll provide the wine. Amy, I think this means we have to take her out for some sushi. You do the ordering.

3:33 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

Now you've done it. I'm craving sushi. I luuuv it. Can't get any in this small town I live in though. darn it. I want some now..

3:41 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

V ~ I miss you and Nebraska Girl! Despite lack of good sushi, I hope all is well in the new nabe! ;)

Kels ~ I wonder if the Japanese have sushi for breakfast. Personally, I would do it. I think there is a roll with salmon and cream cheese - the Alaska Roll? Mmmm.

Darius ~ Its ok; I just get woozy when I hear graphic descriptions about wasabi accidents.

BG ~ My belle, we have to get you sushified. Except not in the fall; babe, I will take southern home cooking over sushi ANY day. You got the canned peas (they are the best anyway), Kels has the wine, and I shall bring dessert.

Kels ~ Hi dahling. Got all the emails and will respond this evening. Beginning of October looks good! The three of us together seems like its going to be TNT: anyone around better RUN!

Ryane ~ I say the best piece to start with is tuna or salmon. Make sure its over the block of rice. I have had it plain, but that takes a little while to get used to; the rice is a bit of a buffer zone!

Schaumi ~ Yes, but I am sure there is good chinese where you are. That is equally as IMPORTANT!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

OMG! I want Sushi now. There isn't good Sushi here. My motto will be, want sushi, will travel.

Yum.

4:21 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Auto ~ Hmmm. I am beginning to think it may be a good time for me to encourage those who dont have sushi places around to make their own! :) They have these awesome kits! Sigh...sometimes I want to fake a wedding just so I can register for cool things like a sushi making kit.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Just have a wedding where you marry yourself and register for Jimmy Choos just like Carrie did on SATC!

I would love to make my own! Have to wait for it to cool down before I cook rice in my house.

6:34 PM  
Blogger David said...

Damn, this makes me want to go to my favorite sushi place. Unfortunately, it's in San Diego and I am way up here in Idaho (where the sushi is, well, it's okay, but it's not as good as my beloved Ono Sushi.)
Tokyo Love in Garden Grove, CA (just out of Anaheim) was awesome as well. Thanks for the mouth-watering post, t-next!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Vixen said...

While I love the presentation of Sushi, I just can't bring myself to put raw fish in my mouth. I do support my family and friends who enjoy it and will go with them, but I get the Chicken Teriyaki instead. :)

12:12 AM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

It's so funny the way people react to sushi...but whatever the response- it is most always passionate!

My closest sister (in location and contact) is named Robin, and she loves sushi as much as I do. It is always a lovely occasion when we go out. Our husbands will gladly watch the kids to let us go...they can't stand the stuff and they are wise enough to know how happy it makes us- which in turn is a good thing for them! :)

When Darius said how much wasabi he consumed... I stopped breathing too! lol- powerful stuff!

10:26 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark bark

chicken teriyaki boy???? that's me!!! okay i will eat the tuna pieces but thats it. eel? no way. as long as STEAK is in the world theres no need to resort to that.

dont eat the blowfish lady jane!

what a mental image i have of the literary smart girl samurais of NYC. i think i have a broadway play!

/grrr

10:45 AM  
Blogger Barry said...

Your writing is great. ALMOST makes me want sushi, for about a second...sorry, I don't roll that way :P

10:59 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

David ~ So random, but Rachel Ray's mouth is so big I bet she could fit three pieces of a california roll in it during one chopstick swoop!

Vixen ~ May I also recommend the shumai? :) It is the steamed shrimp dumplings. Mmm. Or Nabe Yake Udon. I love udon noodles!

Cora ~ There is just something very special about having sushi with a sister!

DoggieRottiePooch ~ Fish is for cats, and you my good poochie, are not a cat. Thank goodness! Ooo, I think you have a Broadway play, indeed!

Barry ~ Roll...heehee! Oh I love the sushi puns.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spicy tuna ROCKS! Oh hello Eyre Affairs world! The other half is finally making an appearance - hey I am the procrastinator ya know? Like keeping you up at night when I didn't want to go to sleep. (hee hee you should write something about sharing a room for 18 years!) It was a pleasure to go out with my twinny for sushi and any time you want to start sharing sake let me know - you have always been the lightweight ; ) We should do it more often - I miss you. Lastly, I would like to take credit on this blog for introducing you to not only sushi but South Park! さようなら

11:20 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Hi Twinny! Glad you finally made a comment on this blog after allll these months. :) I love you, sis. xoxoxo

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, my mouth always waters when I read your posts.

I live in a TINY little Oregon town, and we JUST got a sushi place. I'm excited! Any recommendations?

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home