Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Sunday, October 29, 2006

"I must treat you..." ~ Jane Eyre

According to Candy by Sign, a horoscope that indicates what candy is the favorite of each sign, this is what my candy outlook indicated:

Aquarius Candy (Jan. 20 to Feb. 18)
Water-bearers are often drawn to containers built to transport liquid, hence their fondness for those freaky wax bottles filled with syrup. When it comes to chocolate, Aquarius will invariably reach for a box of Whoppers. Describing the taste of malted milk is always a challenge for this analytical sign. Hard-to-find candy like Necco Wafers also gives this sign a kick, since they like things that are off the beaten path.


Firstly, I think wax bottles are foul. I do enjoy Whoppers from time to time, but I prefer my malt in an actual milkshake, thank you very much. As for Necco Wafers, their consistency reminds me of the chalk I use each morning in my classroom.

Alas, this horoscope resigns me to a cruel candy fate. The candy of my dreams is the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. I have loved this chocolate candy since I was a child. I recall being a young child and sitting on a section of the oriental rug in my living room, candy sprawled out over its patterns after dumping out my bag after trick-or-treating. The more squares of brightly orange-wrapped cups accumulated, the more excited I became. I traded away Twix, Kit-Kats, and even Milky Ways to my sisters in exchange for PB Cups. Even the smaller cups made me happy since I knew my mother would place them in my lunch that week. I enjoyed the sundaes at Friendly's, and even now I treat myself to one a year (with lowfat fro-yo, of course!)

I don't recall learning about the PB Cup when J. Sarah and I were at the Hershey Museum last January. Ironically, museum tickets were included in our spa package! Hence, I did a little research this afternoon. This is from the Hershey Website:

The H.B. Reese Candy Company began manufacturing a product made with specially processed peanut butter and HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate in the 1920s. Introduced as simply peanut butter cups, the popular candy item is known today as REESE'S peanut butter cups. The name REESE'S has a unique heritage established by Harry Burnett (H.B.) Reese, a former dairy employee of Milton S. Hershey, founder of Hershey Foods Corporation. Reese was so inspired by Mr. Hershey's success that he left the dairy business to make his living in the candy industry. While that decision inevitably developed into something truly unique in America's food industry, Reese experienced much adversity before building a company that thrived on the manufacture of a single product.

Born in 1879 on a farm in Frosty Hill, PA (York County), Reese was not very fond of farming. As a youth, he took a variety of jobs including country butchering and oil burner selling before moving to Hershey, PA, in 1917. Following ventures in nearby Hummelstown and Palmyra, where he had some success with Johnny Bars and Lizzie Bars (caramel-like molasses and coconut candy), he moved back to Hershey, a few blocks from the already famous Hershey Chocolate manufacturing facility.

During the mid-twenties, Reese began selling his peanut butter cups in five-pound boxes for use in candy assortments. Ten years later, Reese added the cups which were sold for a penny a piece to the assortment line. Conditions during World War II prompted him to discontinue his other lines to concentrate on peanut butter cups, "a product that both the young and old alike can eat and enjoy..." Distributed through wholesale jobbers, vending machine operators and syndicated stores, the peanut butter cups, in their familiar orange, yellow and brown wrapping, continued to gain popularity on a nationwide scale during the '40s and early '50s.

By mid-1950, it was evident that a larger manufacturing facility was needed. A tract of land on the western edge of Hershey was selected and ground was broken for a modern, extensively automated plant. The 100,000 square-foot facility, built along Chocolate Avenue, opened in August 1957. Six years later, in 1963, the H.B. Reese Candy Company, Inc., was sold for $23.5 million to the Hershey Chocolate Company, currently known as Hershey Foods Corporation, its chocolate-making neighbor. Recently, the company introduced popular limited edition items including White Chocolate (now a permanent item), Dark Chocolate, INSIDE OUT and BIG CUP peanut butter cups.


Dear readers, please fill the comment section as a trick-or-treat bag fills with candy: indicate your favorite Halloween candy and lets see which candy has the majority of love! If you are not a regular commenter, it would be extra sweet to learn about your favorite candy...

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girlfriend....we would be fighting over candy in real life. I LOVE Reese Cups. Love! Almond Joy is joyful and I don't snicker if someone tries to hand me a snickers!

Sweet post! ;)

5:45 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Thursday! I'm a regular commenter, and though you may grow weary of my inane tirades, I shall never go away! mua ha ha! (Smiles; I never leave cause you Rule.)

I ate about 5 little Reese's pumpkins last night. :)

I admit an addiction to PB and chocolate.

Top Ten candies? H-ween only? OK; I have seen these in mixes. So they should count.

1) Mounds. Damn. Damn. Damn. And I do not have any.
2) Heath Toffee! It's great with coffee ice cream (Ben and Jerry's has this flavor; it's my fave. Try it after the wedding.)
3) Reese's. Love the Eggs at Easter. Can eat whole packs by myself.
4) York Peppermint Patties. I love peppermint anything. They are 'bats' for H Ween. Too cute!
5) Mikly Way DARK. Holy God. I'm craving sweets.
6) Kit Kat. Break me a piece!
7) Reese's Pieces. ET phone home, indeed.
8) Hershey's Nuggets-Toffee and Almond. Dear God. OK, not H-Ween candies. But they rule nonetheless.
9) Twix. I liked the cookies n' cream the best, but only see the regular for H-Ween.
10) Apples n' razor blades. hahaha KIDDING. That's an old Urban Legend. No one actually put razor blades in apples. Or needles in anything. I have run out of faves. Regular Hershey's Milk Chocolate is good too though.

Thanks A LOT, Ms. Next. Now I must go home and dive into more Reese's. In your honor. ;)

I must go see what type of candy-lover I am. Basically, I love it all. As my ass reflects. :)

6:16 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Shppr ~ I actually prefer Mounds to Almond Joy. I like coconut in chocolate, but in small doses! I actually dont like Snickers at all...those are all yours! ;)

Marty ~ I love Peppermint Patties. If I get a chocolate fix, I get a small bag of those because they are lowfat. :) Indeed, the ice cream will have to wait until after next year's wedding! Size 4 or potato sack!

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amester has baited me back into blog-commenting with a Reese's. Isn't that right Amy?

What can I say, nothing can stand a chance with a Reese's peanut butter cup, it stands alone. That was a fascinating history. The only thing that completely escapes me is how it took almost a quarter of a century for people to realize how good the peanut butter cups actually were! What was wrong with people between the mid-20s and 1950s!

All kidding aside though, I'm not a fan of Halloween as a holiday (don't all jump on me and steal my candy though) so I have to propose a different sort of "candy". No, this one probably won't be dropping into anyone's trick or treat bag, but this is a REAL treat. Pineapple upside-down cake with a scoop of pineapple ice cream from the Postcard Cafe in Hanalei, Kauai (an island in Hawaii). WOW. I don't even know what else to say. Don't trust me, go and try it for yourself. I dare you!

:)

10:21 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Pukk ~ Oh yes, that is right! Your picky palatte redeems itself, sir! Great minds think alike when it comes to chocolate candy, it seems, especially when that chocolate envelops peanut butter. ;) As for pineapple upside down cake, you just inspired me to go find a good recipe for it!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Amy!!! When is your birthday--I am an Aquarius, as well, and was cracking up, reading your descriptions of 'Aquarius candy' b/c I feel the EXACT same way about Necco wafers and those hideous, hideous, HIDEOUS syrup bottle candy-imposters...ICK!

My absolute favorite candybar is Hershey's Special Dark--I adore dark chocolate. My actual favorite candy, however, is also Reese's cups!!mmmmm...chocolate & peanut butter--I can't get enough. And then good stand-by's are Reese's pieces, M&M's, and Twix...

Pretty much, if it has chocolate, I will eat it...so sad. hahahahahaha!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Slim said...

Ho ho...the peanut butter cup, how can you go into such great detail about this amazing candy creation and ask us to consider others?! One of my favorite parts of comercial holidays are the specialty peanut butter cups (the eggs, the trees, and the pumkins) I think they're even better than the regular cups, the ratio of chocolate and peanut butter is...*sigh* marvelous.

Cadbury cream eggs...DREAMY
And...well...um...How do you pick? ANYTHING with chocolate generally makes my list.

(oh, and Marty, I'm so with you on the Toffee Coffee B&J)

8:16 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

Aquarians Unite!!!! We MUST overthrow that horribly restrictive and oppressive candy-horoscope. Necco wafers? BLEH! Wax bottles of sugar water? BLECH!! Whoppers? Only in a pinch!

I'm a RPB fan myself. Most favorite Halloween candy: toss-up between a RPB and your basic Hershey's chocoloate bar with almonds. Oh - and tootsie rolls. Oh - and almond joy bars. Oh and ....you get the idea, eh?

Of course, truth be told, my fantasy Halloween bag contains chocolates and truffles from: Godiva, Joseph Schmidt, and Sees candy. Also chocolate oranges - those choclates shaped like oranges and you slam them on the table - they break into chocolate orange sections.

It's breakfast time for me. I need chocolate now with my coffee. Oh, see what you've done to me?

flap/flap/swoosh!

9:16 AM  
Blogger vintagebird said...

reese's peanut butter cups and the pieces are the best. my favorite candy bar is SKOR. Anything dark chocolate.

9:36 AM  
Blogger afromabq said...

aquarians rock!! (said like a true aquarian.) :)

i swear, those wax bottle thingies made me sick as a kid. could never have 'em. whoppers are good, but i don't ever crave them and necco wafers....are you kidding me. those just plain suck.

my favs are snickers, cadbury cream eggs (i love easter time), plain m&m's, and of course reese cups. gotta eat all the chocolate edging first, then leave the peanut butter for last. the m&ms have to be eaten in fours and assorted by color.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Wax bottles ARE foul. Whoppers are okay if you only have a couple, and Neccos - I think they're straight from hell.

Now Reeses...heaven! I love them. And I loved reading the history on them, thanks for that!

I am also incredibly partial to Butterfingers and Baby Ruth bars, and every Halloween will fight my kids for the little baby boxes of Milk Duds!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

reesey cups, kit kat and almond joys--- Oh, I so need some. I am def getting some candy for those trick-or-treaters-- even though I doubt that I'll get any.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

DARK CHOCOLATE! And reses pieces. Yummy! I also love Runts. But then, I don't really consider myself much of a candy person - yeah right!

Hershey spa. Boo yeah!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i too am an aquarius... i too hate wax candy & neco waffers - however i do like woppers

but, alas - my FAVORITE is also reeses peanut butter cups!

6:28 PM  
Blogger David said...

Heath bars, Caramello (do they make those anymore?), and of course, an Idaho Spud.

https://www.idahospud.com/products.htm

4:14 PM  
Blogger ReadItDaddy said...

I have to beg my american buddies to send me PBCs...we don't get them here y'see unless you find an import store that sells 'em...

Anything with peanut butter in gets my vote. They are delicious.

Peej

4:03 AM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

Cadbury chocolates with almonds and raisins..yeeeehah!!!...oh' yeah...just remembered..."Maltesers"...love that too!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

What a fantastic post! Thanks for sharing the history of one of my favorite candies. My favorite Halloween candy is easily Reeses Inside-Out cups. The limited edition factor certainly adds to the appeal.

In that same vein, I love Cadbury Eggs and Robin Eggs.

And my newest phase is red hots (just the ones in the red and yellow box for 25 cents though).

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home