Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, September 25, 2006

"I should, if I had deliberated, have replied to this question by something conventionally vague and polite..." ~ Jane Eyre

Thank you, kind Muses, for your assistance! I appreciate the questions, and I am so grateful for the supportive feedback and help, especially from those of you who commented for the first time! The Q and A continues...thank you for reading.

I. The Queen
Have you ever had a recurring nightmare, and if so, what was it?
Unfortunately, I do. I sometimes dream about the deaths of the people in my life who mean the most of me. Thankfully they are all well and healthy, but I still have the nightmares nonetheless.

II. Bird
Which would you prefer to take tango or belly-dancing lessons and why?
Well, I started taking belly dance classes my freshman year of college at Serena Studios in New York City! (www.serenastudios.com) Although belly dancing is a small part of Armenian culture, it is a part of it nontheless, so I was very excited to learn. Jenna, my teacher, was on the episode of "Sex and the City" when Carrie and crew were taking a "Goddess" dance class or something to that effect!

In what ways are elephants like peanuts?
Because elephants are just as chunky!

III. FrumTeacher
What does your weekly shopping list look like?
I love this question! Skim milk, Dasani water, yogurt, chicken, whole wheat pasta, bananas, 100 calorie snack packs, Skinny Cow ice cream bars, cranberry juice, Luna bars, Honey Nut Cheerios, eggs.

What three projects would you like to undertake with your students, provided you had the time?
I would like to have my students undertake a project where they work as an entire class on turning a Poe short story into a film. Some students would write the screenplay, others would design the set, others would edit, others would act, etc. I would like to have my students do an interview project during a unit on "The Things They Carried" and create a database of interviews with Vietnam Vets who would be willing to talk to them about their experiences. I would want my students to become involved in a kind of email/penpal system with Arab students in the Middle East.

What Seinfeld character do you relate to the most, and why?
Elaine, Elaine Elaine! Besides our long, brown, curly hair...Ms. Benes and I agree that muffin tops should be sold on their own and that we both have Shiksappeal.

IV. Popsicle Toes
What is that quality in a man that could/would make you want to take a relationship to the next level?
In terms of taking a relationship to an engagement, it is hard to pinpoint one quality. If I had to, I think it would be tenderness, as cliche as that sounds. Its just that of late I think many of the men I have dated have been so self-involved that there was a lack of tenderness and empathy when it came to my emotions. Not that it is all about me, but there were many times when it was never about me.

V. J Sarah
As my wedding coordinator, what role do you see Ethel in during the ceremony?
Well, my dear bride-to-be, I think that she ought to do a reading from her novella entitled, "Ethel the Aardvark Goes Quantity Surveying." Oh, I meant to ask, are you inviting Charles to the wedding? Not Charles Dickens, Charles Dikkens? (I hope I got you once again, J. It must be about at least 50 times in the past 10 years!)

VI. Sid The Dog
My question falls in line with a recent project I've started on my blog. Do cats have an afterlife, and if so, what would a cat-centric afterlife be like? I've gotten some good responses from dogs about a dog-centric afterlife, but I'm curious if you have thoughts on what the feline version would be like. Personally, I feel like the cats would just go around flipping each other off all of the time, but that's just my opinion.
I must say that I am not a big feline fan. I see the Cat-Centric afterlife being a space that smells like tunafish, is riddled with hairballs, and is filled with worn out scratch posts! I don't sense a good deal of comraderie, either, so I think you are on target when you say they would all flip each other off!

13 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

I don't know about an all-cat afterlife, but in the REAL afterlife, I have to have Leia and Andy with me. Andy was our family pet and I'm still devastated he's gone. I guess animal lovers (especially cat lovers) probably make no sense to you (or most people), but my cat is more real to me than a lot of people. Not kidding. I mean, that purr is not an accident!

:)

10:31 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

OHHHH crap - am I too late? I am out of town and internet has been spotty. I just have one question, if you could marry any man, would it be Derek Jeter or A-Rod?

No seriously, are you an athelete? If so, is do you prefer a particular sport or activity?

12:27 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Marty ~ My Cleo (pup) was real to me than most people, so I am with you on that one! All that you feel for a kitty, transpose it and that is what I feel for a pooch! Woof! My K9 rottie will back me up here. :)

Connie ~ You are not too late, I shall answer here. ;) DEREK, DEREK, DEREK. I have been a DJ gal since his rookie year. I don't consider myself an "athlete" more of a yoga/step class/treadmill kind of chick. :)

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for answering all our questions! Here are two new ones (although I can feel that you're getting over your writers' block already):

1) Which three tactics do you find most effective in disciplining your students? (honestly, this is because I need some inspiration on this one... I have a crazy class to deal with this year)

2) Which vegetable do you find most inspiring?

6:55 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Frumteacher ~

I think that over the years I have learned with HS students that giving them opportunities for self-discipline is the best way to go. I try and structure my class time the same and their assignments are often challenging. I never get sarcastic, and I always smile when I reprimand. I am also very polite (i.e. stop talking PLEASE) and I emphasize the please and thank you. Hope that helps a bit! :)

Squash, is by far, the most inspiring of vegetables to cook with! :) I love any and all kinds of squash - its versitality for either sweet or savory makes it inspirational!

I would like to know what veggie inspires you?

7:32 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Oh dear Thursday, I have been pondering a question for you, and this is no easy task!

Aside from Jane Eyre (haha), who is your favorite literary heroine? (do you even have just one?? I know I don't...)

8:00 AM  
Blogger Kate Croft said...

I went to Serena Studios my freshamn year, too! We are psychically (or belly-ically?) linked...

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find the eggplant an inspiring species. Both its shape and colour are fascinating, plus the way it needs to be prepared in salt, in order for it not to suck up all the oil.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

How fun!!! What a cute idea! I am sorry that I disappear from the internet on the weekends. My question is what is your favorite meal to cook and what wine do you serve with it?????????

12:44 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Ryane ~ Besides Jane Eyre, I am a huge fan of Anne Shirley! :)

Kate ~ Oooo. Maybe we even took a class together and didnt know it?!?
:)

Frumteacher ~ In Armenian, eggplant is called patlajan. I. love. patlajan. :) J. Sarah's mom and dad make a mean "EPP over Spag." (eggplant parm over spaghetti!)

Kels ~ I love cooking my bolognese sauce since its a wonderful all day affair and serving it up with a Chianti!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

OOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I LoveLoveLOVE Anne Shirley. That cements it for me--we DEFinitely knew each other in a past life...=-)

9:03 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

i think you should have a new carreer as THE ANSWER WOMAN.

fabulous answers,all the way around.

kudos.

10:04 PM  
Blogger David said...

I am loving this format! I might have to steal it. (I steal all the best ideas from you.) ;)

I got a question:

What are some of the traditions/rituals practiced in your family?

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home