Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Sunday, September 24, 2006

"I should, if I had deliberated, have replied to this question by something conventionally vague and polite..." ~ Jane Eyre

Thank you, dear Muses, for your assistance! I am starting with the first part of the question and answer posts. Please keep them coming! I am very grateful for the inspirational boost.

I. Work In Progress
Do you prefer your orange juice with or without pulp?
I actually prefer mine with either vodka or champagne! I usually drink it without pulp. I loathed pulp as a child, but now I don't mind it at all.

What is your favorite meal? Can you narrow it down to just one?
Yes, indeed! Thanksgiving! I look forward to the meal each year and believe I could eat Thanksgiving dinner every night. There is a restaurant in New York called Chat-n-Chew that serves "Thanksgiving on a Roll": turkey, stuffing, and gravy all on a roll. A close second is lamb shish kebab with rice pilaf.

Who is your favorite contemporary author?
Anita Shreve.

Are there many plants in your abode? If so, what type?
Sadly, there are not. I am not all that good with indoor plants. I try and get flowers as often as I can, though, when I am at the supermarket.

Do you believe in magic?
No, but I find things magical.

II. Naked Manatee
Describe the most memorable dinner party that you've hosted and/or attended. Details, details!
J. Sarah's parents used to host a New Year's Eve Dinner Party each year. It was a nice way to spend the evening as a teenager - underage drinking of champage with my best friend! It was always a very formal affair and her mother is an amazing cook. J. Sarah's mother and father always liked to prepare a meal based on a cuisine they had whilst traveling. This particular year, the movie "Big Night" was released and in the movie was a dish known as "Timbale." Its basically this huge pasta pie (with a crust and all, baked) filled with all kinds of meats and such. They looked for an authentic recipe for months and finally got one translated from a person who spoke Italian. The meal was amazing. I still have images in my head of that timbale. I think it took days to make.

III. The Sensational Marty
If a wild animal somehow got trapped in your house, what would you do? Scream like a sissy, or yell at the little punk to get the H out of your house?
I would scream and get my landlord to get the animal out...unless of course the wild animal was Jeremy Shockey. He can stay!

If you sat down to a drink with Ernest, what in the devil would you SAY?
"Papa, how about you buy me a drink?"

Would you ever get completely smashed and post here?
I have yet to do so, but I am very open to it! I just hope I wouldn't delete the post in the morning, because that would tend to be what I would do.

Do you ever have the desire to attack men in uniform?
I am going to plead the 5th and thank all of the men in uniform who allow me this constitutional right! ;)

Would you ever coerce J. Sarah to post here?
Certainly, but she even spends to long thinking about her comments, so I don't know if it is going to happen!

IV. Heather
Paper or plastic?Plastic or glass?Glass or crystal?
Paper because coffee cups can't be plastic, plastic because it means less dishes to wash, glass because I break too many wine glasses and would feel bad if they were crystal!

V. Barry
Do you ever post without even thinking?
No, I actually spend a good amount of time forming a post in my head before coming to sit down and write! The nice part about this questions is that I can actually post without thinking, so thank you! Its quite nice!

Who is your craziest friend?
Hmmm. Crazy in a good, fun way? Lime. She is amazingly zany and it enriches my life.

What is that one moment in your life that changed everything?
The moment was when my Grandfather, Krikor, died. I realized then that there is something in the world that my parents cannot protect me from: death and mourning.

Have you ever just took off and traveled?
No, but I really hope to make like Jack Kerouac at some point this year and just do my own weekend getaway. Just me, myself, and some books and crossword puzzles!

Why is there air?
So that I can travel by plane, of course!

13 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I'm really enjoying the question and answer format, Amy! And what a great dinner party story. I haven't seen "Big Night," but I've heard all sorts of good things about it. Have you ever read "Under the Tuscan Sun"? I dare you to read it and NOT want to cook a big Italian meal afterwards. :)

6:12 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Thanksgiving is indeed the best meal of the year-I agree 100%. My mom cooks everything herself, completely homemade, and it's all of my favorite food in the world. I'm sure I'll elaborate when the day comes this year.

Damn. I'm hungry now just thinking about it. ;)

Take care of yourself, Dearest.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

p.s. You don't believe in MAGIC??? Well, there's the end of THAT friendship. hhaaha (JK)

(I'm such a space cadet, I believe in everything. Especially The Force. Smiles.)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

I loved this post, and the fact that you truly thought out your answers.
My favorite question was from Barry, "What is that one moment in your life that changed everything?" What a profound and thought provoking question.
And by the way, I did read Under the Tuscan Sun as David mentioned, and do believe that it's virtually impossible to read it and not be inspired to not only cook that enormous Italian meal, but also to slow down and enjoy the the simplest things in life.

P.S. LOVE Anita Shreve.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Kate Croft said...

I LOVE Chat 'n Chew =)

6:13 PM  
Blogger shpprgrl said...

I'm running in late, but this was interesting...

Thanksgiving is one of my favorites too. The thing you mentioned sounds yummy!

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These past months I´ve been visiting your blog now and then and I´ve enjoyed your inspiring posts. So here´s my try to pay you back with a few (hopefully) inspiring questions:

1. What does your weekly shopping list look like?

2. What three projects would you like to undertake with your students, provided you had the time?

3. What Seinfeld character do you relate to the most, and why?

Keep up the wonderful writing!

8:26 AM  
Blogger afromabq said...

such good questions and answers. i love it that we get to understand you on an even deeper level.

so, my question is, what is that quality in a man that could/would make you want to take a relationship to the next level?

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I'm almost some sort of "name" in this little corner of the blogosphere. But, Amy's right. I read her last post, and decided I needed time to think about what question to ask, and by the time I got back to it, she had already started to answer! Anyway, Amy's always been the creative one - I'm more of the critic, analyzer, appreciator, examiner. Even in high school, she'd write these amazingly crafted notes and I'd write these scrawls in response.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Sid the Dog said...

I'm enjoying your responses immensely, and agree that Thanksgiving is the best. Oh, the bounty of scraps that fall to the ground unseen... The bones lurking in the trash just waiting to be plucked like ripened fruit from the tree...

My question falls in line with a recent project I've started on my blog. Do cats have an afterlife, and if so, what would a cat-centric afterlife be like? I've gotten some good responses from dogs about a dog-centric afterlife, but I'm curious if you have thoughts on what the feline version would be like. Personally, I feel like the cats would just go around flipping each other off all of the time, but that's just my opinion.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to hate OJ pulp myself, but I read that the juic has like 10x more fiber with the pulp, so now I've gotten used to it.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm crazy? when have i EVER done anything cr...



oh.

never mind.

i don't like pulp. i'll even go so far as to strain it out.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Barry said...

This was one of your coolest posts ever - I may muster the wherewithall to do it one day myself - though I doubt I would get the same amount of questions.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home