Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Wednesday, October 11, 2006


"But first, look at me..." ~ Jane Eyre

As much as I am all about Sandy in Grease, I admit to being more of a Rizzo fan. Clearly she gets the best tune in the musical where she gets to be sarcastic and witty, clearly aware of what the archetype for satire is. In the end she also gets Kenickie (sans bebe) who clearly never feels he has to present himself socially in two differing ways as Danny does.

I think what I love about Rizzo the most is her backbone. She is a tough young woman who throws milkshakes in faces if the faces give her a hard time. Oh, if only I could throw creamer at my colleagues in the English Resource Center once in a while. Its not that they give me a hard time, its that they can be quite annoying sometimes and perhaps a little International Delight would quell the irritation.

I also admire Rizzo's sense of leadership. This woman knows how to run the Pink Ladies. Not only that, but she designed one amazing logo for their jackets. Rizzo is an amazing artist in addition to being a fashionista. After all pink IS the new black.

Still, if I were to be typecast for the movie, it would have to be Marty. She falls inbetween Sandy and Rizzo - a combination of the two. She stays out of trouble, she stays in school, she is kind to Sandy, but she also is strong enough to be close to Riz. She is clearly a great writer with all of those pen pals of hers. She isnt afraid of looking nerdy in glasses (albeit they were rhinestone glasses, but glasses nonetheless). Her last name is a signifier of the best part of a sundae. Oh, and clearly she is sophisticated based on her speech. She has my favorite line in the film...

Twinkies and wine? Oh, that's real class, Jan.

17 Comments:

Blogger shpprgrl said...

Marty Maraschino rocks! I think Vince Fontaine was quite taken by her as well. I can never get too much of that movie. NEVER!

I have a pink ladies bowling shirt that a bought a couple of years ago for a Halloween Costume. I had the glasses, and lots of cool accessories. I never decided which character I was.

I have a notebook that says Beauty school dropout which I love too.

Cool post!

10:48 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Gee, I always wondered where my parents got my name. Now I know.

(And before you remind me that Grease came out after I was born, let me remind YOU that I am only 12. For serious.)

;)

10:54 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

SGirl ~ Oooo! Where did you get that notebook?!? A pink ladies bowling shirt? Dahling, that is probably one of your best purchases ever!

Marty ~ Giggle. The movie and I were actually born the same year! Sadly, it was released just a few months after I was born. So Amy it is...not Marty. ;)

6:05 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

now what about what's her name, cha cha? hahahahaha! an over-aged high schooler if ever i saw one!

and let us not forget the beauty school drop out. she is the sweetest one i think - far sweeter and innocent than sandy.

but rizzo is definately the matriarch of the them all, including cha cha girl.

10:34 AM  
Blogger ReadItDaddy said...

Needless to say none of the blokes this side of the pond wanted to be Danny. We all wanted to be Kenickie. He was just tooo damned cool :)

Peej

3:16 PM  
Blogger Slim said...

I was like Rizzo in high school-minus the sex. Tough as nails image, soft as marshmallow on the inside...I think she was a WAY more interesting and entertaining character than Ms. Sandra D!

5:56 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Birdie ~ I do like Frenchie! She is the sweetest and has the good luck of being crooned to by Frankie Vallie! :) Indeed, I think the movie casting people were clearly not wearing their glasses when they cast Cha-Cha.

Peej ~ All the more reason why I am an Anglophile. ;)

WIP ~ I am going to have to start calling you Woman In Pink then!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Amy, that is such a great picture!! I have always felt an affinity for Marty (haha), but I totally agree--Rizzo captures my imagination more than the rest. I especially love when they are all sitting at the lunch tables (before Sandy & Danny sing 'Summer Love') and she says, "You hauled your cookies all the way to the beach for some guy?" haha. My sister and I used that quote all the way through high school...

Rizzo is like the 1960's version of Samantha Jones, only a bit cooler...

=-)

=0)

9:37 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Wait!! ChaCah DiGregorio--I NEVER thought she was pretty...in fact; I think she looks about 10 years older than Kenickie, and PS: umm..not that great of a dancer!!

oK. I am getting off of my Grease soapbox now...

;-)

9:39 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

wait! wait!

that was frankie avalon - annette's beau that crooned to frenchie (and who doesn't love joan blondell as the waitress?)

1:56 AM  
Blogger ..................... said...

That movie came the year after I graduated from high school. I thought it was great fun..
Don't think I identified with any of the female characters....(unless there is an ally sheedy character as in the movie "the breakfast club". Now, her I identified with.)
The guys were pretty hot in a 'greasy' kind of way..:). Of course, all the characters were over 20 (except for a couple) when they made that movie anyway.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Oh my gosh!! Now, I have to watch the movie this weekend. Good thing I own it. "You better watch out, because I need a man...and my heart is set on you...." Wonderful.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rizzo Rocks!

I did a production of Grease at an outdoor theatre one summer (I did props) and it was freakin' hilarious to watch all the guys in the cast stand backstage and sing "There are worse things I could do, than go with a boy OR TWO"
LOL -- gotta love musical theatre guys!

Great post!

11:23 AM  
Blogger bob said...

taken completely out of context, "they can be quite annoying sometimes and perhaps a little International Delight would quell the irritation" just makes me smile.

oh, c'mon. rizzo would laugh at it.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I knew everything there was to know about this Film. But I had to Google her last name. I'm so ashamed.

Not really.

But this post made my day.

1:54 PM  
Blogger shpprgrl said...

Notebook: Wicked-Mart
Shirt: bowling shirts dot com

I should wear that shirt again this year!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Oh yeah Rizzo. She was the best. That girl had Moxy. IS that the right word? Yup.

Now I have Grease Is the Word stuck in my head! HA!

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home