Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

"The spoons were moved slowly..." ~ Jane Eyre

My days and nights have been so full this past week that I feel as though I hardly have time to sit down and concentrate on just one thought to follow through to write about. The inside of my brain must look like the swirl atop a latte. Yesterday morning I tried a skim maple latte from Fourbucks; it was like drinking Autumn out of a cup.

Thoughts range from the very serious to the lighthearted. This morning I am making a latte of my words with a swirl on top.

~ Today marks a year since my first entry in Eyre Affairs. Does this mean that I get to eat some lowfat ice cream and Weight Watchers snackcakes to celebrate her birthday?

~ The Guggenheim has been highlighting the art of various countries each winter. Last year it was Russia, and I went to view the exhibit with D.R., which was quite helpful since he is Russian and translated a great deal for me. This year it is going to be Spanish painting (“El Greco to Picasso”), and I am very anxious to see the exhibit. It begins on November 17th, but I shall probably wait until Christmas vacation to go.
http://www.guggenheim.org/picasso/index.html

~~ J. Sarah and I have plans to eat at Ali’s Kebab Café in Astoria next week after she emailed me telling me she wants to go. And you wonder why she is my best friend? Still, I have kebab on the brain so much that I may head to a local restaurant called the Persian Grill and pick up a platter there for dinner. I want to cook tonight, but a glass of Barefoot Merlot and some lamb kebab with saffron rice are two thoughts in my head that are completely driving me away from being in my kitchen this evening. http://queens.about.com/od/allrestaurantreviews/gr/kebabcafe.htm

~ I am getting anxious as Election Day approaches and hope that there is a good voter turnout. I was listening to NPR yesterday and heard about a new movie called The Conventioneers. I really want to see it. http://www.conventioneersmovie.com/ I am fairly confident that I will vote for members of the Democratic Party both for state and local, and I hope to help J. Sarah do some phone banking for the Dems. The only issue I have with the Senator race. I honestly loathe Hillary Clinton and Spencer comes off as a complete fop. Hence, I have decided to vote for whoever is running independently. I am so agitated that papers like The New York Times and Washington Post are not even listing any other parties besides the Duopoly.

~ I decided that I am going to spoil myself this Friday and spend the entire afternoon at my salon. Haircut, manicure, pedicure, bikini wax, massage. I refuse to leave until the entire staff goes home for the night. I love the staff there, especially my hairdresser, Joanne, who gives me all the latest gossip on other staff members. I hope that every woman reading this does something nice for herself this weekend!

~ I really love mums and have enjoyed seeing them everywhere this Autumn. I need to go buy them for my stoop and place them next to my pumpkin. The other day when J. Sarah and I were shopping at the Americana in Manhasset, she commented on how much she doesn't like mums. I can't understand why, though I am not a real fan of white daisies and I am sure someone could argue that with me.

19 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Oooohhh, I'm so about the spa day! Have a great time spoiling yourself. :)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Happy Anniversary and good work on the spoiling!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

oooooh, i want to see that exhibit - El Greco to Picasso - oooooh.

happy first blog birthday!!!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

You have definitely inspired me to take some time for myself this weekend. I'm committed to helping my best friend and her new baby move into an apartment, and I'm just now looking up the number to our spa so I can treat the both of us to some mani\pedis.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Slim said...

I have some fourbucks advice for you...DON'T try the pumpkin spice latte...it's HORRIBLE. Waste of four bucks ger.

In Mr. Bush's speach yesterday he spoke of how ludicrous (my word not his-it's too big for him) that candidates are already sure they'll win before votes have even been cast. He then went on to say that 'they' (his republican pals) were certainly going to win. His cocky stance is enough for me to vote Democratic everything. Isn't that awful?

It must be nice to live so close to so many incredible museums. I'm jealous.

I never used to like mums either. They've grown on me though, I think it's the splash of color they offer forth while everything else is turning brown and gray.

Enjoy the pampering! I'm off to enjoy a maple latte!

7:49 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Steph ~ I hope my writing inspired you to call your local salon. :) There should be a National Spa Day.

Connie ~ Thanks for the anniversary wishes!

Birdie ~ Come to NYC then, please! :) I know K9 is going to make the trek for the exhibit...

Jay ~ What a great writer you are and what a great blog you have! Thanks for visiting here; I am honored! Mmmm...go for the mani/pedis this weekend!

WIP ~ I shall take your advice and not try it. I am too in love with the maple ones at the moment! Let me know if you like it! I got to hear most of Bush's speech yesterday and I, too, feel that his confidence is delusional. As for mums, I just love their rich colors next to pumpkins.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

I think if I could dive into that latte, I would...

Alone time is always well spent time, in my mind. And spending that alone time being pampered is even better..what type of facial are you going to get? I indulge in a microdermabrasion once-a-month and my skin is soooooooooooo thankful. =-) Amy, I have been in the beauty industry for over 12 years so if you ever want any unbiased product advice, let me know...

I too like mums. They are so appealing to me..sorta like morning glories, for their intense color. As for white daisies, enh. I don't really care one way or the other, although I would rather have peonies...

Enjoy your weekend!

9:51 AM  
Blogger afromabq said...

i don't know why i don't break out of just drinking plain ole coffee - you make it sound wonderful. 1 year - happy blog b-day amy! i love persian food and get to have it when i go to san diego because my cousin knows where the best places are to eat it. not to many here in abq - and the ones i've tried are just heh. spoiling is good! i love spoiling! and you're wrong about white daisies....as meg ryan said in "you've got mail" - "aren't daisies the friendliest flower...." or something like that....:) i love daisies.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

I love the idea of a spa day!! Enjoy. Happy Anniversary to your blog! I have been enjoying it lots since I first came here. I am so happy to have gotten to know you.xoxox

10:18 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

i am blatantly inviting all to come by my roost for a cup of coffee.

1:38 AM  
Blogger David said...

I had kabobs the other day at my favorite Egyptian restaurant. I even had the lamb and although it was delicious but my mind kept on making allusions to Jesus, the Lamb of God, and then I felt guilty. LOL! Typical dinner out with David!

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy first birthday! I enjoy reading your blog, because it's so positive and inspiring. Please continue this wonderful job!

And... go for the ice cream and cakes :-)

2:59 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Ryane ~ I actually pass on the facials and go for the massages! The salon I go to has a great maseuse and she is SO reasonable! I am going to have to email you this weekend about products, makeup included!

PToes ~ Thanks for the birthday wishes! Hmmm. If you cant get Persian food where you are, I think you should make it instead!

Birdie ~ I came for a cup this morning, my fellow javaphile! :)

David ~ Its amazing because we Armenians do not eat lamb on Christmas Eve because of that connection, yet on Christmas day we make it our feast. I *rarely* feel guilty about eating lamb! ;)

Frumteacher ~ Thank you for the birthday wishes! The fro yo and lowfat cakes were delish! ;)

7:49 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Amy..all I can say is: one day soon, treat yourself to the facial. So long as you get an educated/talented esthetician, you will never, ever regret that decision. I can't even describe how wonderful your skin will feel...

=-)

Definitely email if you want to chat makeup/skincare...I got a lot of information on that stuff..it's my job!! haha

8:52 AM  
Blogger Barry said...

happy blog-a-versery!!

I guess 'it's the economy stupid' can't be used by Republicans.

One thing we have in common - loathing Hillary :P

I know what you mean about the swirly mind thing though.

I always enjoy stopping by here Amy - it is always good to poke fun at friends.

12:45 PM  
Blogger John said...

Way to go Amy! You are a talented and interesting woman.

I have a latte on my mind too :) I had one of those maple jobs at Stardollars this very morning...yum!

I love fall.

10:06 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Barry ~ I just cannot take Hill's smug and smarmy nature. She has no humility; that bothers me a great deal. Thanks for the bday wishes! xoxo

John ~ Thank you very much, good sir! Stardollars? Brilliant, love it! :)

10:27 AM  
Blogger ReadItDaddy said...

I still find it almost bizarre when I meet genuine coffee haters. I've just come back from Cornwall where coffee is kinda frowned upon, and the stuff they serve in cafes there is very "brit" - IE it's this milky brown sludgy stuff that looks like a mud puddle and tastes not quite but entirely unlike something made from crushed and roasted coffee beans.

So as I type I'm sitting here with an Oddworld mug full of Blend 37 and even though it's not the best coffee in the world it's far better than that stuff. Mmmmm

One of our local coffee houses has taken on the mega-corporation and they've called the place StarDucks...complete with a duck theme throughout the whole place. I kid you not.

Best coffee in Oxford if you ever visit this side of the pond (and you will) - George and Davis Mad Cow Coffee...the best fresh ground coffee flavoured with whichever bean you prefer, swirled with a dollop of ice cream of your choosing. It sounds absolutely vile but it's damned good (as Coop would say...)

Peej

4:11 AM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

shucks!..am' so envious...had a week long vacation and all I did was check the mounds of essays I should have tackled a couple ov' weeks ago...sigh!..

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home