Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Tuesday, January 02, 2007


"This was not done with a knife..." ~ Jane Eyre

A warning for all…

I am improving my knife skills.

Last week I purchased my ultimate culinary weapon of choice: the santoku knife. The knife, made my Wusthof, was as expensive as a Coach handbag. I would rather have the knife.

The Santoku Knife
The santoku bōchō (三徳包丁) or bunka bōchō (文化包丁) is a general-purpose chef's knife originating in Japan. Its unshouldered blade, which is typically between five and eight inches long, has a flat edge and a dull back which curves down near the point to a tip angle of around 60 degrees. The top of the santoku's handle is in line with the top of the blade, giving the chef's fingers plenty of room underneath. The word santoku means "three good things," a reference to the three cutting tasks it performs: slicing, dicing and mincing.

My gym is next door to both Viking and Fishes and Loaves stores in Garden City. The other day, after my workout, I walked in, black ski cap en tete, ready to become a warrior in the kitchen.

I was told that Viking’s culinary classes cater to each individual and that I would be able to work the entire class with a santoku. Hence, on the evening of Monday, March 12th, I will be taking my first knife skills class. Until then, I shall continue some novice warm-ups with my santoku in my kitchen.

Allez-cuisine, dahlings.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's to good knife skills in the new year..
and may all your I will's down yonder come true..

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note to self: Do not tick Thursday off. Ever.

;)

I am bad with knives. I nearly cut my finger off once and have been afraid of them ever since. Ah, but alas, my finger survived, my desire for people to invent automatic choppers continues.

haha

(But, they HAVE invented things that cut up food for you! Still, YOU, I picture with a knife. A big shiny one you frequently throw at a photo of Rachel Ray you have stuck on your kitchen closet door as a reminder of all that is wrong in the world.) haha

Much success with the knifery, dearest. (Is that a word? 'Knifery?' It is now!)

6:29 PM  
Blogger David said...

Good luck! I was watching that infomerical where the elderly, but energetic man kept on adding yet more knives to his cutlery package. I almost ordered one. Almost.

7:09 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Schaumi ~ Happy 2007! I think one needs good knife skills for a good year. :)

Marty ~ I cannot wait until you are in NYC and we can go eat out together and let some other chef do all the chopping! Hmmm. I fucking love that image of me you created. God, Marty, you are a fucking genius when it comes to imagery! Knifery is now a word if you say it is; after all, Shakespeare invented a ton of words, why cant you?

David ~ I love the word cutlery.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

a knifesmith and wordsmith!

hahahaha!

this is quite excellent.

knife on.

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superb! let me know if you ever master the art of chopping a carrot into juliennes without A) wrecking the thing or B) hacking off limbs.

I inherited a nice set of Bochauls, these things are hefty and heavy chef's knives - slung from one solid piece of metal with the only grip being rubber studs up and down the handle. They are super-tough, ridiculously sharp and pretty much a godsend in the kitchen (catching housemates hacking through the pipe on a tumble dryer for reasons only known to themselves notwithstanding).

Look forward to seeing you doing the "Bishop" scene from Aliens sometime soon...

Peej
x

4:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yikes!..you sound dangerous hee!hee!..

happy New Year Ms. Thursday!!..

( me..tiptoeing away he!he!)

Luxie

4:37 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

God bless a woman who can handle her knives...HAHAHA. ;-) Hey, that sounds like a really interesting class. I consider myself somewhat of a foodie--how is it that I never heard of such a thing? Let's face it...I just need to move to magical NY and be done w/it!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

So, I have been talking about getting a really good knife all this week. I have one good knife and then a bunch of crappy ones-- I should probably just toss those. Congratulations!! Treat your baby well. Happy New Year, doll!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

take a viking class. my mom took a knife class, but it may have been at sur la table. either way, they're great. now all of my knives are wusthoff. they're totally worth the investment. you'll have them forever.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To go with your knife, make sure you have a beautiful BIG wood cutting board, if you don't already have one. One of my favorite items in my kitchen is my big sharp knife. I love it.

Let's eat!

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it!
And I've been looking at knives too~ I made a fairly good investment in the Pampered Chef knives- they are nice and sharp- but I've been looking at the professional ones in the cooking stores-
Hope you have a blast with this class! :)

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really cook, but more power to you and your spiffy new knife.
And, good luck on the job search/career-switch. I'm enjoying mine so far (after 3 days)

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home