Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

"I had already formed the intention of asking her to lend it to me some day..." ~ Jane Eyre

I hope that Paula (http://cookbookjunkie.blogspot.com/) does not mind that I took this from her latest blog post which had the awesome title of "Macaroni and a Meme." It was too good to pass up! I am tagging anyone else who would like to participate, so get writing! Enjoy!


1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate always reigns supreme for this chocoholic. My sister Jill gave me my annual peppermint hot cocoa container from Williams Sonoma this week (along with chocolate marshmallows) and my sweet mother surprised me last night by dropping of some cocoa in small canisters with the Peanuts gang on them. Last night I had "Snoopy's Smores" flavored cocoa.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? I think Santa should really just look into gift bagging from now on. Aside from Jack's presents, I gift bagged everything. Tissue paper and bags are so much easier than cutting paper and taping it all. I am the worst wrapper ever.

3. Colored lights on tree or white? I have white lights on my tree. I love white. My sisters do color and its so pretty, but there is something just magical about the white that I love, especially because I have red beads on the tree and they accent one another quite well.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Yes! It is in my hallway.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Usually right after Thanksgiving.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? I really enjoy the appetizers the most on Christmas (we call it mezze). I always look forward to an Armenian dish called beurek, which is phyllo dough with feta cheese in the middle. As a child, my grandmother would make them not only filled with cheese, but filled with ground lamb as well.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: There are too many to name. My parents did so much to make each holiday special. Memories would be a post in and of itself.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? By reading a book, of course! I was in second grade and reading "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" by Judy Blume and Peter discussed Santa being fake but having to pretend because of his younger brother, Fudge.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? It has varied in my adulthood, but as a child we had to wait until Christmas morning.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? White lights, red beads, and lots of red and gold balls mixed in with my ornaments.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love snow, especially when it is darling enough to get me a day home from work! I don't dread it now that I have an SUV, too.

12. Can you ice skate? Not very well at all. I do ski, though!

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Yes. It was Christmas of 1982 and I got the book How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Its on my coffee table at the moment. I got Jack one and it is wrapped underneath my tree.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? My family and friends.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? How can I narrow this down to one? Its impossible. Of course it usually involves chocolate...

16. What tops your tree? A gold star with pearls intermingled on it. I got it at Fortunoffs the first Christmas I was here in my apartment.

17. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Giving, especially to Jack! I can't wait for him to open up my presents.

18. What is your favorite Christmas Song? "Silver Bells" because its about Christmastime in the city, and New York is one of the best place to be on Christmas. As a child, my favorite version of the song was the Andy Williams version.

19. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? I love peppermint, so candy canes are yummy to me.

20. What do you serve for Christmas dinner? Please see previous post!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, Thursday, I take the crown for 'Worst Wrapper Ever.' I have to get Mom and Bean to wrap all of my gifts, except for theirs, which I struggle with and which generally look as if a 3 year old wrapped them. haha

Nice list, dearest.
I may steal. ;)

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I already did this meme--it's a fun one! And, I do agree with you on the whole gift bag idea. They're MUCH easier!

2:42 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

/bark bark bark

i LIKE this meme. i have never tried egg nog...i mean with a name like that i wasnt on fire! i like big tacky multi colored lights. i happen to be a mistletoe provider...we shoot it out of trees with a shotgun. not kidding. your menu is the perfect blend of exotic hertitage foods and comfort. my brother told my parents he didnt believe in santa. so they hid his stuff and on Christmas morning he came down and found everybody but him got presents. he started crying and shreiking "i believe, i believe"...poor guy will have to endure that story for all of eternity!

great post.

/grrrr

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will take up the gauntlet and accept this tag....over at Wonkytimes.

Peej

4:12 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

My sister came over and made a huge thing of eggnog last night-- I am very excited, but I do love some hot chocolate esp. with Baileys.

I am with you on the wrapping, but this year, I found big ribbons that I could put on and make a huge bow to cover all of my wrapping flaw-- it makes them look very ornate.

:-)

8:52 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Note: To all of my beta readers, I am sorry I have not commented. The beta comment server has been broken for days. I refuse to switch to beta! I love you all and promise to comment as soon as its up and running! xoxoxo
Thurs

10:03 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Marty ~ I loved your descriptions on the meme! :)

Amy ~ I wanted to comment on your meme, but see my note about beta! I love your blog(s) and am so grateful that you found Eyre Affairs! :) Thanks for being here!

Poochie ~ I *love* the story about your brother! :) Your parents are so damn cool!

Peej ~ Oh what a great meme you did at Wonky T's! Your holiday eating sounds delish!

Kels ~ I love cocoa with Bailey's! Kahlua works well, too! xoxoxo

10:06 AM  
Blogger Slim said...

Do you know they have a peppermint flavored Bailey's?! How AWSOME is that?

And Thursday, I am glad to hear that I'm not the only person refusing the blogger beta. I have yet to switch to yahoo beta as well.

I discovered recently that egg nog is much more acceptable with a great deal of rum. And you HAVE to open a gift on Christmas Eve! Just before bed, then you can sleep.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snowmen or Santas?

Snow Dudes are cool.

ahhhh. That was a bad pun.

;)

Had witty comments earlier, but forgot them since I was blocked at work. Dang!

*Note to self: Take note of witty comments*

I don't know why I am writing such. Just feel goofy. ;)

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peppermint flavoured baileys?

NOOO!!!!!!!

I think you've just reminded me, WIP, that I need to make B52s over the hols...

3/4 fill a shot glass with baileys.
Spoon kahlua as a layer over that
top with cointreau
Set fire to the top layer with a match
drink (obviously blow the flames out before drinking otherwise you're going to get two nice little burn scars on your top lip)

Very seasonal.

Peej

3:38 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Thank you for the cookbook junkie. My friend and I are HOOKED!

By the way, thank you for being my inspiration!

9:44 AM  
Blogger afromabq said...

loved your list so much i stole it! and whoever invented gift bags should be given a nobel prize (is that for being smart?? - which obviously i'm not if i have to ask) :(

11:11 AM  
Blogger David said...

Wait...the truth about Santa? What are you talking about? Is there something I should know?

11:30 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

"Jack..."

I am afraid I do not like the sound of this at all. A mere infatuation I trust?

"You don't have to prove to me you're beautiful to strangers."

- Carly Simon

"By all means, stay away from that mistletoe."

- Robert Louis Stevenson

(Some of this is just made up.)

Faithfully yours,
Percy

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home