Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Sunday, November 12, 2006

"Sitting down to feast alone at a table..." ~ Jane Eyre

Forget Anglicanism.

I practice Anglophilism.

The thick database of items pertaining to my passionate love of Jolly Ol'. Of course a good third of the database are all authors, P.G. Woodehouse included, there are also some rather obscure items such as the trifle, Absolutely Fabulous, Ralph Fiennes, and PEEJ and his blog: http://wonkytimes.blogspot.com/ (How can I not love Peej, who refers to me as a Spiffy Blogtart?)

Still, one of my absolute favorite narcissistic loves on the Brit List includes Miss Nigella Lawson. She is a bit curvey, she has dark features, her hair curls, she likes to lick her fingers when cooking, and her grammar is stellar. Sound like someone else you know? Of course my cooking capabilities are no where near Miss Lawson's. I admit that I have a girl crush on her, and in my fantasies she uses her rolling pin not to smash up crackers for a pie crust, but to smash up Rachel Ray's face. It is about time that Foodnetwork is airing Nigella Feasts. It is my hope that she dominates the Dum-o who says Yum-o on the telly.

Aside from all of this, I do admire her as a person since she has quite a stiff upper lip. Her husband tragically died so young just after five years of marriage, and she is a single mother to two children.

This holiday season I have every intention of asking for Nigella cookbooks, and I have been perusing her products in her Living Kitchen line and drooling. Sadly, so few are available here in the United States, save a few items on the Foodnetwork store online. I shall just have to get my Nigella-esque ass to London sometime soon. Check out these lovely tins:
http://www.nigella.com/living_kitchen/detail.asp?area=4&article=1571

I think the Brits have gotten a bad rap when it comes to food, and London now certainly has many exceptional restaurants, ethnic cuisines included. One of my favorite restaurants to eat at when I visited London was Wagamamas, a casual noodle bar. http://www.wagamama.com/ I am also a huge fan of Jamie Oliver, but that is a post for another day.

Sigh. After writing this post, I cannot wait until Christmas. I am off to Barnes and Noble for one of her cookbooks. The errand leaves me plenty of time to get back here to watch her on Foodnetwork. Cheers! I leave you with a few of my favourite Nigella-isms:

I always wanted to be called Caroline. Carolines were always very nice in books.

Gordon Ramsay makes me laugh because he knows that I'm not a chef.

I can understand why those primitive desert people think a camera steals their soul. It is unnatural to see yourself from the outside.

I never taste the wine first in restaurants, I just ask the waiter to pour.

http://www.nigella.com/

Update at 11:00am on Sunday: I just ran to B&N and picked up Nigella Lawson: How to Eat - The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food. I then dashed into the market and picked up items for her One Pan Chicken (p.360) that includes lots of red onions and red peppers.

13 Comments:

Blogger ReadItDaddy said...

(blushes)

Why thank you pretty lady, I shun the spotlight but thanks for the mention.

Brits and Food. I think we can now be broken up into several groups. Those who were brought up on good old british stodge and now want something better (like me), those who believe that food and the world have a lot in common and it would be a shame to just limit yourself to one continent (me again) and those who eat to live (quite a few of my brit buddies) who will just cram down anything regardless, because it is Breakfast, Lunch or teatime.

As much as you love brits Thurs, I absolutely adore american women. They are smart, intelligent, sexy and above all they have an amazing thirst for experience and knowledge which even surpasses my own. What's not to love?

Nigella though, oh if there was one brit woman I would fall hopelessly in love with it would be her. Dark hair (check), Curves (oh check check check) a sensuality and passion for what she does (check times infinity) and that certain enunciated way of speaking which tells you that if she swore, she would probably swear in impeccable french.

Peej
xxxx

10:07 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Peej ~

No need to blush, chappy! You deserve the spotlight! Speaking of spots, my best friend, J.Sarah, loves Spotted Dick. Do you eat it?

Teatime at the Brown's Hotel was my favorite experience in London, though J. Sarah, Lime, and I once hosted a tea party for our friends in the summertime that included scones, cucumber and watercress sandwiches, and cold soups.

I suppose this is the perfect time to mention that J. Sarah and I loved British men and as teens we joked about moving to Jolly Ol' and marrying men named Hugh and Chesney. I think I got Hugh, but I don't remember. Come to think of it, I would marry Hugh Laurie. Though I hate his American accent on House. I prefer him when he played Bertie Wooster on the BBC adaption of "Jeeves and Wooster." Oh god this is becoming another post!

Thanks for your compliments on American women, Peej!

Cheerio, Chappy!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

OH! Just about to head off for a 6 mile walk from a residential neighborhood, to the beach, up and over a hill to Lands End in SF, i decided to make a quick flight through the blogosphere.

And now, i want to abort the full walk and merely stroll to a local breakfast dive, Louie's, overlooking the ruins of the infamous Sutro bathhouse, and order something...delicious. you have made me incredibly HUNGRY. i am so easily influenced.

and while i'm munching, i'll have to call my daughter and see if she knows of this Nigella. my daughter is a food network junkie and a fabulous cook - so she will surely have something to say (she might even want to bet on the Nigella/Ray smack down).

flap/flap/swoosh!

12:04 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Hi Birdie! You are in a great place to eat - San Fran! My favorite eatery was The Slanted Door. J. Sarah and I loved it there. Mmmmm. Let me know what your daughter has to say about Nigella!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Sid the Dog said...

I must say that English food also appeals to me. I have been reading Patrick O'Brian's books lately and his description of their meals sound so good. It isn't really what Nigella cooks, but it sounds like just the thing for a dog. After all, what's not to love about a cuisine based on suet and lard? What I wouldn't do for some soused hog's face or plumduff... I'm going to go daydream about eating old fatty English cuisine and having lovely Nigella take me for walks...

11:03 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

SiddyPooch ~ Mmm, indeed, there is something to be said for standard English fare! Luckily Ms. Nigella has a lowfat recipe section and a lovely summer cookbook that is a bit lighter than traditional recipes! Here is a light one that looks so delish; its called "Sunday Night Noodle":
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/
recipe.asp?article=139

As for lard and suet, I think its best to substitute those in the human world, pooch! ;)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Amy--I have all of Nigella's cookbooks and you simply mustmustmust get 'Nigella Bites' and then make the Triple-Layer Chocolate Cake. It truly is just that good and, as she says, serves 6 comfortably or one w/a broken heart.

;-)

12:36 PM  
Blogger Barry said...

I have never seen an entire cooking show, unless you count noddig off while watching TV. I just have never been interested in watching someone else cook.

The only time I have seen much of that is maybe a segment on one of those 'psuedo news shows' like TODAY or GOODMRNING AMERICA or FOX N FRIENDS or ... well you get the idea.

11:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spotted Dick - I make my own veggie version (proper spotted dick is made with suet y'see) and it's lovely. In fact puddings are something the english seem to excel at, now you know why most of 'em have such bad teeth :)

As an aside - what do you guys think of Gordon Ramsay? (He's the angry sweary brit chef who does the Hell's Kitchen programmes) ?

I think you guys have a US version there don't you? Is he still on it?

Peej

5:39 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

I have a girl crush on Nigella too! I am mesmorized when watching her cook. Her writing is incredible. My favorite gift to give is her "How to be a Domestic Goddess" Cookbook. Also, my cousin's kids love to watch her too. They call her Gel-la! I am glad that we can finally watch her here in the states!!!

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had problems posting a comment earlier. The comment wouldn't 'take'..
so here goes again.
haven't watched much of ray's cooking show..primarily because she got on my nerves real quick. don't watch a lot of nigella, but mostly because her cooking show is so great and I'm usually hungry when I see it and i can never quite remember when it's on....
gotta go fix dinner.....schaumi style...sigh..

6:40 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Ryane ~ Ooooo. Baby, I am all over that chocolate cake at your recommendation!

Barry ~ I know food shows aren't for everyone. Some celebrity chefs are just awful, right Rachel Ray? You are right though, Barry, segments are great!

Peej ~ Gordon scares me. I don't know how else to describe the feeling I get when I see him screaming with a red face at the poor novice chefs on TV. GAH!

Kels ~ I think that title for a cookbook is the best one ever. ;) Gel-la? That is very cute!

Schaumi ~ I bet dinner Schaumi style is awesome. I can assure you that it is much better than Rachel Ray style! ;)

8:27 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

I heart Nigella. I also live for Food Network. I have been trying to get into that Ellie woman who does all of the uber healthy yummy foods - and I CAN'T do it. Bring me everyday Italian.

Oh and P.S. I like Rachel. I know, we can't agree on everything. I also LOVE Martha Stewart, anyone who can cook like that deserves my undieing love.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home