Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

"For shame! for shame!" ~ Jane Eyre

A good writer avoids cliches at all costs.

However, I cannot help but reverberate the old adage, they don't make 'em like they used to when I think about the midterm election.

Elections have become a farce in this country due to the politicians. They have no shame. This midterm election has gone beyond mudslinging; this is shitslinging.

I am so relieved that this year's election will be over in about 13 hours. My intuition tells me that there will certainly be voting problems at the poll sites, and perhaps there will not even be clear winners decided by the morning. Still, the campaigning will be over and done with, and I hate to even use the word campaigning because most politicians are finger pointing rather than campaigning - and that goes for both parties!

This morning the old ladies at the polling site informed me that I was their 18th voter. The 18th president of this country was Grant. He was a horrid president, but he was an amazing general. Therefore, I like to remember him more for his leadership during the Civil War and not post Civil War.

I begin to wonder what would happen today if my three favorite presidents - Lincoln, Teddy, and FDR - were alive today and seeking election. I am sure Abe would be called ugly by mudslingers, Teddy would be called fat, and FDR called a cripple. Lincoln's failures would be listed as showing incompetence, Teddy would probably be in huge trouble with anti-NRA groups, and FDR would be impeached since he had more mistresses in the White House than Clinton. It makes you think, doesn't it?

These men were on my mind as I voted this morning. I respect them more than any other men in history. I find it a shame that the lack of respect that politicians have for each other have made election campaigning a mockery and an insult to the ideologies, passions, and strengths of our forefathers. I also find it a shame that people in this country take for granted their right and are too lazy to vote. I have no tolerance or patience for that. I am sure those who are too lazy to vote would get out and go if they were living in China for even just a week...

11 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Lack of respect for others is my #1 peeve. But yet, we see it daily. Boggles the mind.

I'm glad I was taught different.

More people voted in the last presidential elections than ever in history, and we STILL put the wrong person in the White House. Sometimes I think some of these clods should NOT vote. ;)
I'm kidding.

Rock the vote!

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing to add, I totally agree. It seems as if western democracies almost everywhere are in a banality-crisis. This will certainly not pull other countries to the democratic system :-(

1:29 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

I love voting! I am going after work. It seems like we had a kind of clean race this year-- of course, I do not have a tv-- that might have helped.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

I love voting. I am going after work. We have been discussing the issues all day. Our races seemed almost clean-- wait, that might be because I do not have tv.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't forget the red dress.... imagine the christian coalition and a cross dressing president.......... actually - that thought just make me crack up!

4:51 PM  
Blogger ReadItDaddy said...

Wow, you guys sent a pretty clear message to the Bush administration. I'm very impressed.

I stay out of politics but am interested enough in it to check out the results from the mid terms on your side of the pond (as american politics affects us and everyone else in the world whether we want it to or not). I think the consensus of opinion from last night was "The sooner you're gone Dubya, the better"

Peej

4:17 AM  
Blogger Barry said...

Amen to all you say about the slinging. Oh well, at least they are over. I wonder if things will be for the better or get more screwed up over here... We will see

4:07 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

I just wish that they would outlaw TV and radio commercials and we would all have to run down to the train station to listen to them talk.

9:56 AM  
Blogger vintagebird said...

I often look to the past-or figures of the past- for the way things should/could be... I can't help but think I was born in the wrong decade sometimes!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Amy, as usual, I like your sentiments. Sadly, living here in DC--I don't get a vote for House or Senate--and it really does make me bitter about voting.

Still--I recognize how lucky I am to have it...

2:59 PM  
Blogger David said...

Excellent points. The level of acrimony today just staggers the mind (not just in politics, either).
Still, politics does often bring out the worst. In 1884, Grover Cleveland got taunted by rivals (concerning his supposed illegitimate child) "Ma! Ma! Where's my Paw!" at rallies and such. Eventually the dems countered with "Gone to the White House! Ha! Ha! Ha!"
LMAO! We really haven't raised the discourse much. We just have umpteen 24 hour news channels to spread it around. ;)

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home