Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Wednesday, December 06, 2006


"No—stop!" interrupted Colonel Dent. "Don't send her away..." ~ Jane Eyre

A list of things I cannot stop doing lately:

~ Listening to Wintersong by Sarah McLaughlin.
~ Jogging on the treadmill at the gym
~ Drinking sugar free hot cocoa and eating a Weight Watchers cake each night before bed
~ Crossword puzzles
~ Thinking about the celebration on Christmas Day
~ Telling myself that I am an awesome aunt because I landed a TMX Elmo for Jack
~ Remembering what it was like to perform on stage as an angel in The Nutcracker as a child
~ Talking extra loudly as I teach because my students are in the December doldrums
~ Sipping Nero D'Avola once or twice a week (its a great Sicilian wine)
~ Drinking water (I hate this dry heat)
~ Organizing a recipe box for D.R.
~ Lighting smelly candles at night all over my apartment
~ Getting out of bed late in the morning; in all my seven years of teaching, December is always the month I end up on time to school instead of being early
~ Watching Walk the Line (I have now watched this dvd at least ten times in the past three weeks and cry each time during the proposal scene)
~ Yawning
~ Writing out Christmas and Hanukkah cards; I hit 45 this evening
~ Wishing I was Nigella Lawson
~ Putting my seat warmer on when I am in the car since its gotten so cold here
~ Grading papers
~ Being excited about the vacation to come and all I have planned for it
~ Taking extra hot showers
~ Wearing skirts to work; I am usually a pants woman, but lately I have bought lots of skirts and tights and Mary Janes.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walk The Line was the best film to come out that year. Somewhere, I'm sure I gave it a glowing review. Love Reese Cup (as Bean calls her)!!

In other news, great list!
I am slack on the lists lately.

Keep warm, Sweetness!
If necessary, snuggle up to Jack as much as possible. ;)

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you actuallly finish the crossword puzzles?

12:25 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Martypie ~ I can't believe I never saw the film until recently - what was I thinking? Its freezing here and I am up early to dig for sweaters!

Neil ~ I buy the New York Times books that are available, so I usually end up finishing since they are the Monday-Wednesday ones. Once Thursday gets to Thursday, there is no chance in hell she finishes. Ever see a Sunday Times c.p.? They make me wanna cry...

5:51 AM  
Blogger afromabq said...

i bet you look so cute in your skirts/tights and mary janes!

i hate getting out of bed when it's cold out...and you are quite the awesome aunt for getting jack that elmo!! WOW! that'll go down in the books as one of the all time greats. a few Christmas's back, the big item for us was to get our niece "boo" from monsters inc. we did it and we were the heros!! :)

5:04 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Now for me, I can't stop listening to the Frank Sinatra Christmas CD--in all it's cheesy, Holiday glory.
=-)

And Amy, you are officially my hero. 45 cards?? I will be lucky if I remember to buy gift tags for my Christmas gifts. I am soooo bad about sending cards--ever.

8:09 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

PToes ~ I actually call Jack my little "booboo." I seriously think that Jack is going to be scared of Elmo at first. Have you seen it? Elmo is a tad mental when he laughs! ;)

Ryane ~ Does it get any better than the Chairman of the Board singing Christmas songs? I thinketh not!

8:34 AM  
Blogger Bird said...

i am in a grading flurry as well. ugh. it never stops. but it will, it will.

i can hardly wait til my winter break.

your post has me playing my johnny cash cds (not from the movie - the real deal).

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grading papers. Oh, yuk. I tried teaching for a bit. I hated it. But don't let me distract you from your papers.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

So, I should have bought the Sarah McLaughlin cd. I knew it!!!

Jog some on the treadmill for me-- mine is broken and has tried to kill me. I kicked it. That did not help.

I have set my alarm clock a full 30 minutes later than what it used to be when I excercised in the mornings-- now, I just think of the bad habits that will have to end once this season is over.

Merry Christmas!!!

2:46 PM  
Blogger David said...

Dude, Nigella Lawson wishes she was you!

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

forget talking EXTRA LOUD at the students...

i finally am getting extra quiet at the kids - and they are finally learning to shut up and listen...

which is perfect since i had my bi-annual evaluation today - LAST PERIOD OF THE DAY!!!! which is my largest and most rambuncuous class-ACK

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm all this talk of Nigella is most distracting. She's back on TV on this side of the pond. I have never seen anyone turn the simple art of cracking a creme brulee open into the most filthy perverted sexual act possible. Good gracious me...!

A lovely list Thurs, oh and skirts - definitely approve but what's a Mary Jane or should a gentleman not ask?

Peej

4:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of great things to NOT stop at.

But hey! remember your training - a quieter softer voice is MORE likely to get atention than louder - too bad the idiots that play commercials haven't yet figured that out!

Cuddle up and drink that hot chocolate!

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Mary Janes. I'm glad they are 'in' again. Not that they really ever weren't. :)

The water is good for your overworked voice too! Hang in there.

3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great list, thursday.

wow, i'm impressed that you managed to find jack one of those elmo's.

you have a great last week of teaching.
i know about the excitement of children in the school system at that time....sigh..
but we will get through it.

you have a great holiday. i know you'll enjoy your family..

schaumi

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nigella Lawson has had a really rough life.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home