Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Sunday, January 13, 2008

"As he took the cup from my hand..." ~ Jane Eyre

I am watching the latest BBC production of Persuasion on PBS and am disappointed that they thought a remake 11 years later of the amazingly rich version with Ciarian Hinds as Captain Wentworth would be something authentic Austen audiences wanted. It an acceptable version, but not nearly as great as the one made by the BBC in 1995. Still, I sip some rich hot chocolate and am content to be viewing this beauty and sophistication of Jane's dialogue after watching such a brutal game of football this early evening. I am, though, thrilled that my Giants won but have become exhausted after the intense game. Fatigued, I am looking forward to climbing under my covers shortly and reading Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama. I went to Barnes and Noble this morning to pick it up and have already read fifteen pages. I hope that tomorrow morning I get to stay under my covers for a snow day; the New York tri-state area is expected to get four inches. The nice part about Academia is that snow days exist in its world just like they do in public schools. I have my snow chain list next to my laptop, praying it gets utilized in the morning. I hope that we do get enough snow tomorrow so Jack can use the snowman making kit I gave to him at Christmastime. It comes with a scarf, hat, buttons, a plastic carrot nose; all you do is add snow. I could use a snow that puts life at a standstill for just a moment; things have been so hectic and complicated lately. So hectic that didn't even think to stuff the top of my mug with marshmallows. You know life is busy when you don't have time or forethought to add marshmallows to your red mug filled with hot chocolate...

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Mc said...

sorry your snow day was a bust! :(

10:57 AM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Hey!! Came lookin' fer ya Mute Monday--so, ah, next week? C'mon an' play wif' us!!

I need ter see this version of Persuasion....I reckon thar' must be some real good book-blogs, but ain't found many yet.

By any chance did ya ever read a book titled Dreams of My Russian Summer?
(Andrei Makine) Wonderful prose--jes' never knowed anybody else who read it--woulda loved to yak about it.

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any snow yet?
I love the picture that you posted today! And comfort yourself with the promise that you'll double the amount of marshmallows in your next cup of hot cocoa!

3:15 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

mercy! forgetting the marshmallows? indeed, dear, it's time to slow down..

4:00 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

im heading to the mountains tomorrow! hopefully to experience snow or even better an ice storm! man theres no better excuse not to do things than an ice storm. "no i cant drive back to ATL...the roads are too dangerous. grrrrerhahaha down here we have no equipment for snow...and when it snows in atlanta nobody goes to work. and you cant get fired (so the mayor says...i wouldnt trust that if i had a hard ass boss) i got some of that good mint hot chocolate from williams sonoma for christmas...mmmmmmmmm

4:16 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

CMac ~ I hate waking up and seeing green blades of grass sticking above the white...grrrr.

Aunty ~ I did the MM just for you!

FrumT ~ Alas, no snow! I am making that cocoa in a few minutes and going to stuff as many marshmellows on top as I can!

......... ~ I am so overcompensating for my mistake this evening!

She ~ Oh I am jealous you are going to the mountains; what was this about eggy mac and cheese you mentioned on Cora's blog? I wish you the must serene and sweet time there.

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, a kit? Okey doke. Did you wear your pj's inside out?

Saw the second half of "Persuasion". Another friend told me about the one you liked better.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

I'm craving a snow day more than I crave chocolate and that says a lot.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home