Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Saturday, March 08, 2008

"I trust I shall not eat long at your expense, sir." ~ Jane Eyre

For the past few weeks, breakfast at my desk has gone something like this: my oatmeal sits half eaten and bits of strawberries begin to congeal into the oats as I stare into the plastic bowl and think about how hungry I am but am not really that hungry. I hold my spoon in vain for another minute as I stare into the oat-laden abyss until I get completely fed up and toss both the bowl and my spoon into the trash can. I sip some more of my French vanilla flavored coffee, but can’t really finish that either since I feel my feet fidget underneath my desk an know that drinking more of my beloved java will exacerbate their movement even more so. Lunch is no better. I go out with the girls from work and waste money on half eaten slices of salad pizza, half eaten six inch sandwiches from Subway that have my favorite sweet onion dressing in them, and half eaten spicy tuna rolls whose wasabi never gets to spice up my mouth completely and whose wooden chopsticks never get fully stained with soy sauce at the tips. This week I have had dinner plans each night – unable to finish sweet potato fries, Armenian manti, and small mounds of guacamole on my plate with chunky bits of luscious avocado. The only food I am managing to eat in entirety is anything consisting of chocolate, but its more like I finish two thirds rather than just a half.

It is eleven years to the semester that I sat freshman year in a Chaucer class, which was a class at ten o’clock in the morning I leisurely walked to after a delicious breakfast in the Student Union at Hofstra University. I was the only freshman student in the class, for I had placed out of freshman English and was already taking electives as an English major. To this day, one of my most prized texts is the resource guide to Chaucer, which includes poems and medieval testimonies to the life and times of Chaucer’s period of life. The text would not be valid if it did not include the Art of Courtly Love, for that is what Chaucer referenced often for his stories. There is a litany of facts and rules pertaining to being in love in this particular set of codes, most of which I thoroughly disagree with except for a few. Making the top ten of the medieval manifest that seems to pertain to my problem is is: Eating and sleeping diminish greatly when one is aggravated by love.

Aggravated is certainly the operative word here.

Of course I am not aggravated by the reason I cannot eat lately; that is a reason I am extremely and utterly grateful for. I am just aggravated that my stomach decided to get involved in matters of the heart and create less green matter in my wallet each time I go out to eat or go to the supermarket without enjoying the bounties of my purchases.

Still, manifest or no manifest, I still felt like an utter anomaly at lunch with my friend J-Lo yesterday afternoon. I was pushing pasta primavera around my plate and pouting.

Finally, I asked, “Were you able to eat when you first met J?”

My friend responded with a big laugh, eyed me knowing what was really going on, and said, “Ask J what I ate on our first date when we met at the diner.”

The diner? Burgers, fries, shakes, ice cream. I felt more and more outré.

“You cant do that! You have to tell me now!”

“Half a diet coke. He had a burger and fries, and I had half a diet coke.”

And with those words about a half drunken carbonated beverage, I felt a little more at ease and was able to finish my pasta.

Being able to sleep last night, on the other hand, is another tale...

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Can't eat or sleep for love? Aww, Thursday!

I can always eat. haha Perhaps too much. Especially chocolate!

But I understand when the emotions influence our physical selves.

I'll keep you in the thoughts. ;)

4:13 PM  
Blogger HLiza said...

Nice..lovesick. When no food can cure the heart longings.

6:36 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

methinks you are just a wee bit in love perhaps? xo
ps:
i just ate a huuuuuuuuuuge bowl of icecream...

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you owe us an explanation here, dear! How come a passionate epicurian like you lost her appetite?

I do know what you mean though ;-)

PS. I love starting the day with warm oatmeal and strawberries!

4:44 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Marty ~ it is amazing how emotions can dictate the physical, isnt it? As for chocolate, I certainly have been able to down some. :)

Hliza ~ you are so right; it almost makes me sad to realize that as much as i revere food (lol) it isnt a cure all!

...... ~ what flavor ice cream?!? thou thinks correctly!

Frum ~ i know, i know! believe me, i feel like i am losing some credibility here as a foodie. :) i love peaches in my oatmeal, and blueberries too!

2:56 PM  
Blogger moi said...

I've only ever lost my appetite in response to two extremely emotionally stressful events: divorce from my first husband (hello! Wash That Man Right Outta Your Hair, fit into your high school blue jeans!) and when my mother died, during which time I didn't even want to get dressed, much less eat, so that was most certainly not cool. The body/mind connection can indeed be a freaky thing.

6:33 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Moi ~ this is the first time in my life that something positive is affecting my appetite! your comment made me youtube the song sung by Mary Martin from South Pacific...I love that song! http://youtube.com/watch?v=cudJoJKKWRA

9:31 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

twice blessed! i wish this would happen to me. not likely. old married life has me dreaming of cupcakes. thank God theres no baking supplies in this house.

11:57 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

would you believe there's an icecream flavor called banana split .. lol ..
that's what i ate ..
and then i left the rest out on the counter to melt .. :(
at least i didn't put it back in the pantry which has happened before..
but don't tell anybody.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

That is just incredible. I'm pretty much the same way-- my apetite is affected by everything.

2:19 PM  
Blogger boneman said...

Well now, there are many remedies for poor apetite, but the best I've seen so far is self realization that you eat when you are not hungry.
Most folks from the US have been beaten with the "three squares" a day rap, that we fall into the trap of believing it.

Take a day and don't eat. Oh, the first pangs that wander by will be screaming at you ("EAT! EAT!") but just don't listen. For a thorough escape from those first pangs, have pictures of starving children handy to look at. THAT'LL curve most people's appetites.
Now, when the secound round of stomach screaming comes by, it also will pass, and without as much pomp or circumstance. The third, well, the easy thing to do is a PBnJ and/or a banana or other fruit.
Get past a day with minimal chow and you will find two things the following day.
Food tastes better
You won't want as much

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boneman's suggestion makes sense. Good luck, girl!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Kate Croft said...

You are the cutest. I can't wait to hear more...

I am really, really not one of those people who eat less when they're emotional. In love, angry, depressed...I eat! The first time I went out with J I ate two huge slices of pizza. ;) I think my BMI would probably appreciate a little lovesickness...

11:55 AM  
Blogger Lt. Colonel Maximum Damage said...

dear Child i come to banish all snakes in your vicinity and to bring you blessing from your Fadder! i hope your day is filled with green and joy and may you nibble on shamrocks if the heart be willing!

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home