Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

"But judgment shall still have the last word in every argument, and the casting vote in every decision..." ~ Jane Eyre


I do wonder how many voters today are going to be standing in the machine and reflecting on how fortunate they are to have this beautiful right to decide who leads this nation. What I think of is how 100 years ago women were not given the right to vote, and now a woman is a potential presidential candidate. I think about how slavery existed 150 years ago and now there is an African-American male who is a potential presidential candidate. This is the quintessential American Dream.

Of course even I admit to not staying in that frame of mind for long. I am in the present, and I am presently anxious and nervous. For the first time in my life I am emotional about a candidate, and I assure you tears will flow down my cheeks if he does not make it on the presidential ballot for the Democrats. I am voting for Obama because he is the best candidate in my eyes. But a part of me knows that if he wins, it will touch me on a deeper level. I spent seven years teaching MLK's speech and have heard it over two dozen times. The words will no longer be of dreams, but they will finally be of life if he wins. All of the experienced politicians have let me down, so I say give me the one who has the biggest heart to give to this nation and the brightest eyes looking towards the future of this nation.

When The New Yorker arrived at my door today (see above), I smiled. Obama as Eustice Tilley was right side up. For an in-depth, candid look at Barack, click here: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/05/07/070507fa_fact_macfarquhar?currentPage=1
And for a collection of great photos: http://www.newyorker.com/online/2007/05/07/slideshow_070507_obama

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Charlie Mc said...

With the "true" Democratic candidate John Edwards out of the race (who's policies have suddenly been adopted by Clinton and Obama) I was still undecided as I entered the booth this morning. I was tempted to cast a protest vote, as Edwards was still on the ballot, but chose to vote for one of the two. After 10 days of serious consideration, I voted for Hillary. The determining factor, Healthcare. I think we need someone who will make healthcare mandatory and bring about the change in this area once and for all. I also think she is ready for the job, 100%, no doubt. Change sounds good, we hear about it in every campaign...but I think you need to have a real plan for change, and the experience to make change happen. Of the two candidates, Hillary has both a plan and the experience.

No matter who wins the nomination for the Democrats, they will have my vote in November.

8:11 AM  
Blogger HLiza said...

I think he's pretty famous..we heard about him much here too. Hope whoever who wins really fulfill the expectations. We're having our own election anytime now too..

2:04 PM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

I really like Obama.
But what I like even more is the heart you have for him- and that speaks volumns to me.
I've been to Africa, I've held tiny black babies in my arms... the most powerful thing I've walked away with is that these children are no different than my own- just a diffrent color.
My kids, and your Jack, are, and will be, growing up in a world where color has less and less meaning...and for that I am thankful. Regardless of my political stand- I'm a mom. If Obama can unite this country- I'd vote for him...if he can keep the terrorists at bay- let him be President.
Hugs Amy- and thank you for this heart felt post. I pray the best person wins~
:)

8:06 PM  
Blogger Kate Croft said...

*fingers crossed all day* hoping for the best!

thanks for that new yorker article, it was quite insightful and very compelling.

fired up,
kate

9:52 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

i keep thinking that I'll get the New Yorker. I love it-- I just wish I had the time to read it like I really want to!

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home