Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, February 04, 2008


"He hews down like a giant..."~ Jane Eyre

It is just a game, but it is more than a game.

The nature of the sport becomes a metaphor for life. As a Giants fan, it was about my team winning, but as a human being, it was about showing the world the power of the underdog. In the end, the latter meant more.

When no one believes in you, you believe in yourself. Easier said than done? I think last night proved that it can be done. I am no football expert, but I know a play of passion and fire when I see one. Literally, Eli was getting pulled down by those wanting to see him fail, and he hung on and would not allow himself to fall. He pulled himself out with courage, and still managed to complete his objective in life at that moment. And then David slew Goliath when he cought the football on his helmet, as if to show the world that if you literally put your mind to it, you can acheive glory.

Of course my real heroes are the defensive team lead by one of the other greatest Mike's in sports' history. They fought and fought and fought and managed to hold back those who were favored. Why they were favored, I do not know. I think they cheated to get to the top, their coach has no sense of sportsmanship, and their quarterback is all bravado. It just goes to show you that nice guys finish first, and those who have heart and a sense of family will prevail in the end.

My voice is gone from screaming, I am exahusted, and I ate and drank too much last night. But I am a happy woman. Tomorrow my city has a tickertape parade and illustrates to people everywhere that the underdogs' spirit can and will make them winners. Whatever is an obstacle in your life that is favored to overtake you means nothing. Keep your hope and passion, like my boys, and you will win in this life.

(*On a lighter note: even my favorite ad was about the underdog winning! Click here for the Coca-Cola balloon commercial - go to quarter three: http://sports.aol.com/nfl/superbowlads?NCID=aolcmp00300000002574*)

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger moi said...

Yay to your team! The best one really did win. Happy MM and nurse that hangover well!

3:53 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Moi - Thank you for the yays! Oh man I am needing a nap this afternoon - I am still feeling it! xoxo

4:00 PM  
Blogger h said...

The Beauty Part is that New Yorkers tend to celebrate their Sport's Team's Championships without riots, looting, and arson.

Detroit, Boston, Etc...should take note of that.

4:35 PM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Oooh--I love this line:

"and those who have heart and a sense of family will prevail in the end."

Amen!

Wonderful reflection on one of the Super Bowl's most unexpected outcomes.

('Natcherly Aunty is proud of that Mississippu boy! --Yup, I'se born in Mississippi.)

4:43 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

yes. that one play in the final push where eli spun out of the pocket with the cheatin patriot defense stretching his jersey in a desperate attempt to bring him down. i loved seeing the giants win because it is a moment of cosmic justice rarely seen. and the baby belichick leaves the field early in his final classless act.

grrrrrrrrerhahahahaha guess the pats werent able to steal the giant's playbook...and even if they had i still think the giants wouldve won.

a team with heart. God love 'em!

so glad for you lady jane!!

4:50 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Troll ~ The young woman dying after Boston won the series is still in my mind to this day. I saw photos of Boston officers ready to go after the game...it was unreal, and I say that being a New Yorker! Again, it goes back to heart...we dont have the heart to destroy the city that gave us our team.

Aunty ~ Mah deah, this Yankee girl is indebted to the south for breeding such fine players on her team! Thank ya Mississippi!

She ~ Giggle...I like the sound of Baby Belichick. In all seriousness, I saw it not as an insult to us but to HIS team. How dare he leave his men out on the field alone? Give them some respect for their perfect main season games...unreal. Coughlin is like the Grinch whose heart grew three sizes!

5:10 PM  
Blogger The Java Junkie said...

Huzzah for our Giants!!! Such a well deserved win!

5:26 PM  
Blogger ..................... said...

it WAS beautiful..
..and i think belicheck showed his true colors ..
what an ass he was to his team.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

"Whatever is an obstacle in your life that is favored to overtake you means nothing."

Nice quote...

Strahan and company were AWESOME. LT has to be proud! Go D!!!!!!!!
I had a feeling they'd do it.

Yay NY!!! :)

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! OK, I just realized especially as a former New Yorker that I never consider the city as "underdog" in any sense of the word, but I know what you mean and I felt it, too.

Enjoy the festivities!!!

8:10 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Java ~ Thanks for the huzzah; I cant wait for the parade!

...... ~ True colors indeed: yellow. A coward for not standing with his men in exiting the stadium.

Marty ~ The mention of LT makes me smile...your rock! :)

RCT ~ Good point about New Yorkers not being underdogs ;)

11:46 PM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

As the game started, hubs leaned over to me and asked who I was pulling for...
I said NEW York! He was pulling for the Patriots- but mostly because of some fantasy football league he was in.
But my reasons were better- I had a friend who was pulling for the Giants...
you :)
Hugs- I was absolutely delighted when they won! Yeahhhh! I thought of you first- I really and truly did :)
xoxoxo! :)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

I watched the Super Bowl with a bunch of New Yorkers. It was fabulous. I am admittedly not a sports fan, but watching their excitement as the Giants scored or squashed or their tremidation as they paced watching the Pats. It was fabulous. I was actually entertained, and for once it wasn't the commericals that did it.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home