Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Friday, February 15, 2008


"In the course of preparing tea..." ~ Jane Eyre

My bedroom smells like jasmine and vanilla and the scent makes me crave jasmine tea, among other things, which is brewing right now as I sit here to breathe deeply and make myself a proper afternoon tea. This is a vacation day for me, and I shall not return to work until Wednesday. I have an entire weekend to myself and am so excited that nothing is planned but time for me and to do things for myself.

Of course this morning I spent with Jack; he is attending "school" for an hour and a half at an amazing child recreation center that holds educational classes. I went to the house and my sister, Jack, adn I had mini waffles, hopped in the car, and then we got to sponge paint, sing, have snack, and play. I watch him in the room and am proud of his patience, his politeness, and how well he gets along with other children. I am going back to another class with him on Tuesday morning, this time a music class called "Broadway Babies" where musicians and actors dress the part from musicals and sing to the children. This Tuesday is Mary Poppins, so there was no way I was missing that experience to see him dance with a character dressed as Bert to "Step In Time."

I am moving again and excited - this time a house. A house I will share with my twin sister. I have not lived in a house since moving out of my parents' home when I was 22, so the idea excites me to no end, especially the idea of a garden. I want to plant flowers, of course, but I also want a vegetable garden of tomatoes, zucchini, and cucumbers. I want tomatoes so I can jar my own sauce, and I want cucumbers so I can make my own pickles. I am procrastinating this afternoon and looking at pickling websites. http://www.pickyourown.org/makingpickles.htm I do have to start packing and boxing, but it will be an easy move - not stressful. The only stressful part to me is picking paint colors. I am thinking long and hard about colors for the bedroom and want to veer away from the golden tone I have had for a few years now. I want something warm and am leaning towards: melon. Melon with brown and blue accents.

I am reading a book about a tea shop called The Tea House on Mulberry Street. Its a good, light, fluffy read for a cold February evening; it's about an Irish couple who own a teahouse in Belfast and about all of the colorful characters whom frequent the shop. There is a cherry cheesecake recipe at the end that sounds delicious and would make if I didnt dislike baking so much.

My tea is ready, my book is here, and I go from one written word to another...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger moi said...

Ooo, I love daring pairings of color like that! How exciting for you. And now you've made me long even harder for an end to this winter so I can get back out into my own garden. Enjoy your time off!

8:55 AM  
Blogger Slim said...

You are on a roll! First the stellar new job, now a HOUSE! That's wonderful! I'm glad you're doing so well...your writing of late has made it obvious that you are happy and doing well. I am thrilled for you. Images of homemade pickles and canned homegrown tomatoes bring to mind memories of sweaty summer days in the kitchen with my mother preparing our garden's bounty for the winter. And melon? Sounds marvelous! I'm gushing, aren't I? ;-)

8:42 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

a house ..
how exciting ..

may your future garden be bountiful with cucumbers, tomatoes and whatever else you plant ..
xo

6:36 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

mmmmmm melon! i like that. we have an orange kitchen and its gorgeous. makes everything and everyone look good. im thinking your soft orange will be as flattering as the fragrance of jasmine.

we grew the grape tomatoes last summer and they were massive bountiful producers. and so so sweet. i dont have enough sun for vegetables in the yard so i have to do them in pots.

i like beans too for their flowers. if you have a fence they are gorgeous...in NY you can have sweet peas! its too hot here for them.

im really happy for you. i cant wait for the photos that are sure to come this summer. yay llady jane, yay!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

That is so exciting! Oh, I want a garden. You're going to have a fabulous time!!

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life is good!
It's so exciting that you will be living together with your twin sister! When are you moving in? I was thinking about you today, when my class from hell wore me out again. You totally made the right decision to leave education.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

Ooooooh'..I shall go hunting for that book! I must must must read it too!

4:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home