Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"Dear! dear!" ~ Jane Eyre


This little man has become my biggest joy in my life.

September 1 will mark three years since my mother left a message on my answering machine; it is saved on the machine to this day and I replay it from time to time. Her excited voice cried, "Amy...its seven o'clock...its a BOY!" A day later I sat in the hospital room with my sisters with this little baby boy. Missy had him cradled in her arms, Robin was standing by the bedside, and I was sitting in a chair by the window. We just stared at each other - the sisterhood would never be the same, but in a good way, for here was this little boy touching the dynamics of our sisterhood.

I think my favorite role in life right now is as Maimy. I had tried so hard to teach him the word "aunt," but Maimy became his title for me. He says it so tender and lovingly, though I know when he is one day a teenager he is going to turn it into a term of endearment with a different tone in his voice! Ah, so be it. That is what unconditional love is all about.

I love Jack wholly, but there are parts of him that I also love. For three years old, there is so much to his personality already that makes him adorable beyond his mop of curly hair and scrunchy smile. He is quite gregarious, able to entertain a room with his dancing and singing. He is stubborn like his grandfather and great-grandfather before him. He is polite, saying please and thank you often. He shares with others, and he is very concerned about other children around him. He has a curious personality and a sense of adventure that make playing with him the best times of my week. He has a memory like an elephant, too, reminding me lately that I am getting him a Thomas the Tank Engine wooden play table for his birthday.

The above photo of a deer and a dear was taken just today at a local game farm. I am so fortunate to be the aunt of this child, for all the brightness you see on his face has permeated my life so richly.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Jack of Cakes said...

gosh I just wanna eat his cheeks!

11:07 PM  
Blogger Bird said...

maimy that is too cool - a derivative of "my amy"?

that kid is cuter than cute.

and better than a cutie pie.

3:10 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

SHUT UP. That is the cutest photo. ever. What a little charmer...=-)

7:45 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

JofCakes ~ Arent they just delicious?

Bird ~ Actually, I think it was a cross between "Mommy" and "Amy"!

Ryane ~ Indeed, he is quite the charmer!

9:54 AM  
Blogger moi said...

If ever scientists figured out a way to distill cuteness from kids and bottle it up, they'd make a mint from Jack. I remember when my niece was this age and just as cute as could be and all I did was smooch her. Now, she's a 15-year-old and, like, mostly totally over it. On occasion, though, I can still make her giggle.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Oh! you have an Aunty nickname? You are lucky. I have two amazing nephews who are my biggest joy. I have always been close to my Sister, but these two boys have brought us together in a different way... it's so great to read about another happy Aunt out there.

And your Nephew? He's lucky to have YOU.

P.S. It just gets better.

7:17 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

i dont know whos cuter! jack or you or your old man. what a treasure family is! oh dear! i love the photo!

12:04 AM  
Blogger diana said...

toooooooooooooo cute. his personality just shines through the photo.
you are a GREAT maimy..:)

9:41 PM  
Blogger Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

AWWWW! Precious!

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home