Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Friday, May 30, 2008

"And that faithful friendship..." ~ Jane Eyre

Carrie has carried me through many a Sunday night when Saturday dreams were hanging out to dry. She and her crew also comforted me, along with Chinese take out (usually chicken lo mein) and a cheap bottle of chardonnay, on many a Friday night when I preferred to get a manicure and stay home for the evening after a long and stressful work week.

But it is my friends and sisters who have carried me through the severe moments of life's greatest pains and obstacles, and this kind of deep support from friends was reflected on the screen tonight above all else.

Yes, there was a festive and flirty feel to seeing the film tonight with my dear cousin, for three years ago we watched the last episode together in her den while eating desserts and learning Big's real name. Tonight we dressed up, we got cosmos after the movie, we fussed over the fashions in the film as we drank our pink drinks. It was a celebration on many levels, especially a celebration of friendship and sororial bonds.

For me, the best parts of the film were not about shoes, bags, sex, or the city. The most poignant parts dealt with the essence of friendship down to its rawest moments. I teared up often during the film, but sobbed when I saw Samantha having to literally feed Carrie because she was too depressed to eat. That hit home, and in that moment I thought about my sisters and my best girlfriends. I thought about the night I had to sleep at Missy's after a severe breakup because I just couldn't be alone. I thought about J.Sarah taking phone calls at two in the morning when I was in pain from being so hurt by a person's callousness and coldness. I thought about Robin coming over one morning when I actually couldn't get out of bed because I was heartbroken, and I thought about Cassie asking me the hardest questions about myself even though they were meant to make my life easier.

Of course the tables have been turned and I have been the one to be the support system, but my being there for them is just as much as a given as they are there for me. It doesn't take watching a film to appreciate the bonds that we have, but it certainly is special to have a reason to reflect on those bonds and revere them.

It has been hard living without Carrie and the crew these past few years, because they, too, served as a constant support in my life. It may sound trite to some, but it wont to those who truly understand what it is like to be a single woman in a city with brains and beauty, looking for the ultimate purpose in life: love. But, as the film points out so well and so clearly, perhaps in the end its not about romantic love...but the love of your girlfriends and sisters that matters the most in this life. Having both is the icing on the cake.

Thankfully, in that sense, I have it all, just like Ms. Carrie Bradshaw.

Cheers...

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger moi said...

I myself am very thankful for the years of support given to me by my best girlfriends. And am hopeful that I was able to give that support in return as well. Looking forward to seeing the movie soon!

9:44 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Moi - I am sure that you gave just as much, if not more, than what you have been given. ;) See it this weekend if you can...xoxo

10:00 AM  
Blogger NYD said...

Sorry. I was not born with the proper equipment to respond to this post.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

Beautiful post!!! I couldn't agree more. I went with 2 of my best friends in life, and we all agreed, the movie was a perfect 10.
Review to come!!

I've always valued friendships above all else; after all, there is no bond like that of the sisterhood (sorry, guys).

:)

12:46 PM  
Blogger roxanne s. sukhan said...

sista-hood ... indeed, there's nothing like it. as for love ~ sometime i wonder if we search to hard to find it, rather than letting it find us.

9:36 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

NYD ~ LOL! I must say that the movie would mean much less if it werent for the great men in it. ;)

Marty ~ I am so glad that you also enjoyed it! Arent you even more excited for your trip to NYC now?

Frizzy ~ Indeed, you have a point; mine was in front of me for three years...

3:17 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I just had to read this as I am very much looking forward to seeing this movie and I'm very glad I did. Beautifully written, so poignant and touching.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww - you're right on the money! The moments when Charlotte screamed at Big on wedding day and on baby day were the most emotional moments in the movie for me. (That "I curse you..." line made me cry and laugh so hard at the same time, my contact lens popped out.) Her protective love transforming her usual sweet and proper demeanor was the epitome of friendship to me. And yes, the "honeymoon" - SJP's no-makeup face, Samantha feeding her yogurt, then Charlotte's you-know-what!!! WOW.

So I've read various critiques of the movie, the plot, etc. But the friendship moments in that movie are priceless. My life in no way resembles theirs EXCEPT for the friendships, and that's why I love SATC.

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, makes me want to see the movie even though I never watched SATC (can you believe that??)!

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frum and others, I'm interested to know what women and men who didn't watch the series think about the movie.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

My "Woman"? They are everything to me and I agree with you that at the heart of this series was the pureness of the frienships. I saw the movie Saturday and so WANT to right a "Red Voice Review", but I can't.. because I was sniffling in the 4th row during some scenes.

Nice post.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Jack of Cakes said...

I cannot wait to see the movie. I really miss my sunday ngiht girls. 9pm on Sunday was a hell of an excuse to have a martini. You will always be Carrie.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home