Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Sunday, May 11, 2008

"My whim is gratified..." ~ Jane Eyre


As a child, I read plenty of fantasy fiction, from Tolkien to Lewis to Juster. One of my favorite movies was The Last Unicorn, which, ironically, I just learned that Christopher Lee was the voice of King Haggard (whom I recall in animation looked a lot like Mr. Burns from The Simpsons). To this day, I remember the lyrics to the song; I had watched the film dozens of times and am still disappointed to know that the rumors of a remake are false; they started back in 2005 and nothing has come to fruition.

Once I became a teenager, I pretty much abandoned fantasy fiction, and during college was pretentious and became all about the canon. I don't even really recall reading current fiction during my college years; it was strictly the classics until I started teaching. The most recent return to fantasy fiction was, of course, thanks to Harry, Hermione, and Ron. Still, they are the only characters I have read about in fantasy fiction as an adult until recently...

One of the first things my boyfriend and I started sharing when we began dating are books. We are both avid readers, though our taste in fiction differs, which makes sharing books all the more exciting. He is a fantasy fiction reader, and when he told me about a particular series last Sunday, I asked if I could borrow them.

On Tuesday night, I came home after a long day of recruiting to two books with a note from him that meant the world to me. The books that were left to borrow are by Naomi Novik who writes the Temeraire series. http://www.temeraire.org/ I am already halfway through His Majesty's Dragon and am so glad there are three more books after this one, because I am devouring it. I highly recommend the book to fellow bloggers. This is the first time in a long time that I am reading fantasy fiction, and I am enjoying it on so many levels, one being that I am experiencing books that he enjoys so very much. I feel that a passion I had as a child is renewed once again thanks to him.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Really? I jes' read the a British woman, Funke, whose children's fantasy is fun...so now, I'se gonna look at the Temeraire books. Thanky Sweet Thang fer the tip.

How's the new love coming? Sounds like ya'll is well suited--sharin' books is BIG.

8:00 AM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Hi Aunty!
Definitely check out these novels - they are also historical fiction intermixed, if you can believe that! They take place during the Neapoleanic wars!

The new love is...amazing.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Some of the most important and powerful memories I have are tied to reading to my kids, and reading alongside them...even now.
A love of reading good books is a gift that never dies- for surely when I am gone, they will yet again hold in their hands the books that I loved, and we will read them together once more.
It's precious Amy...as precious as "Singing in the Rain" :)

Hugs and thanks for your recent words of encouragement <3

10:03 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

i think i have that series in the house.
my teenage son is a avid fantasy fiction reader.
i think he gets it from me.
i used to be an avid reader of fantasy fiction during my teens and early twenties. but i read the canon too.

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh dear, fantasy fiction and juvenile fiction are two of my fave genres.

have you tried inkeart? eragon? artemis fowl?

all fun stuff...if you can remember get your hunny buns to post a recommendation list asi'm always on the prowl for new adventures!

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home