Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, April 21, 2008

"The sounds I had heard after the scream..." ~ Jane Eyre

With all due respect, there can be nothing mute about poetry. I have a deep sense of the figurative, but I chose to take this week literally.

Stanzas aside, the power of poetry gives those who are not poets a voice - a voice that comes deep from the soul and is incapable of being silent. To place poetry in a two dimensional form seems irreverent, and I find myself unable to do so. Poetry is a religion to me, and always shall be. Silence of it is sacrilege.

For I believe there is nothing as loud to an ear as poetry and nothing as verbose to a soul as a poem. Poetry is food, dear readers, so open up your mouth wide. This entire week here on this blog will be shouting out the glory of poems, because I cannot find it in my soul to make it mute.

Eating Poetry
by Mark Strand
Ink runs from the corners of my mouth.
There is no happiness like mine.I have been eating poetry.
The librarian does not believe what she sees.
Her eyes are sad
and she walks with her hands in her dress.
The poems are gone.
The light is dim.
The dogs are on the basement stairs and coming up.
Their eyeballs roll,their blond legs bum like brush.
The poor librarian begins to stamp her feet and weep.
She does not understand.
When I get on my knees and lick her hand, she screams.
I am a new man.I snarl at her and bark.
I romp with joy in the bookish dark.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

good for you!!

10:18 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

foam ~ thank you! not wanting to offend anyone, just feel a strong conviction about it! :) thanks for the support!

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the raven and the "Poe It"!
Fabulous! Happy MM.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I've always thought rules were made to be broken anyway so go you for standing by your convictions. Me....I always do what I'm told but wish I didn't.

Happy Mute Monday!

3:47 AM  
Blogger Ashly Star said...

I agree! I posted poems with pictures with the poets who wrote them for my mute monday post. I couldn't just only post pictures without displaying some of their words as well.

Very well done. =) Happy Mute Monday.

5:55 AM  
Blogger h said...

The Streets will flow with the blood of the verbiage-using rebels!

Happy Mute Monday, until then.

grrrherhahahahahhahahhahaha

6:54 AM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

what a lovely preamble to the actual poem. poetry is food for the soul. as is painting. a very happy MM to you thursday! and, what great dogs!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Joanna Cake said...

Oh, I so agree! I found it impossible to do 'Poetry' without words. Happy MM

8:54 AM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Poe-it? !!
Youse cool, yep, ya' really is.

Happy MM

10:19 AM  
Blogger moi said...

Yes, this was a struggle for me too, someone for whom words, words, and more words are the solution to everything.

But Mute Monday forces me to shut my mouth :o)

10:55 AM  
Blogger Gnomeself Be True said...

I think you can be forgiven...this once.

Happy ____ Monday.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

loved it!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Johanne said...

Quite interesting and controversial take!!
Happy MM!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Late in the day, Aunty done finally played MM--so iffin' ya get a moment.

Still love the POE It, Youse too clever.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

Poetry=Religion

I agree!!

:)

6:53 PM  
Blogger {Ãñgê£}ä said...

Right on! "Mute Poetry?" Totally an oxymoron!
Great posting!!

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home