Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

"By a sheet of ice..." Jane Eyre

At the moment I am feverish and eating small bites of mint chocolate ice cream. I haven't eaten much for the past two days except for some rice and pretzels, but this evening I had the sudden craving for ice cream and just ran to Baskin Robbins for a single scoop; it may not get my fever down, but it certainly is refreshing. Its not chocolate chip, either. It has chocolate crunchies laced through the mint ice cream; even better, I say.

Lately, my associations with ice cream relate to Jack. He only eats vanilla, and he gets rather excited and shouts out "ice cream" anytime its offered or he knows its coming in a restaurant. I admit that I love indulging him with it. His Aunt Maimy loves nothing more than to take a scoop of Haagen Dazs and plop it into his Le Petite Prince bowl and then proceed to spoon feed him as he watches Curious George before bedtime. Le Petite Prince, indeed.

As you know, when I was a young girl visiting my grandparents' home, my grandmother Anoush never let us leave without eating something. Many times this something was an ice cream come. She always kept cones in the pantry and I remember my favorite flavor being a Dolly Madison orange and vanilla creme that she stacked oh so well. She made sure that she pressed the ice cream into the bottom of the cone. Her freezer always had ice cream in it, and during summers after shish kebab dinner, my sisters and I always enjoyed big bowls of rainbow sherbert that she served in lime green plastic bows as we sat outside on the stoop.

My mother always teased me because I always managed to get chocolate ice cream on my t-shirts in the summertime when I was a child. She said it was a continual pattern. I loved when my chocolate ice cream got almost soupy in the bowl and I would work hard to get it all on the spoon; it never ever quite stayed on the spoon, but my mother was always very understanding. She has to be; my chocoholism is inherited from her.

The first song I ever heard performed by Sarah McLachlan was "Ice Cream." I remember by friend Tea playing it for me and felt an instant allure to her voice and to the lyrics. Though at the time I was a teenager and scoffed them; how could anything be better than my beloved cookie dough? Well, as I have gotten older my views have changed and tonight I especially empathize with her lyrics. I am so feverish and miserable tonight and wish I could give up this ice cream and have him here instead. He is better that ice cream..he is so much better.

View: Ice Cream - Sarah McLachlan

(*Please tell me your favorite ice cream flavor when you comment...*)

Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

first of all ..
get better soon..

my favorite ice cream? probably still vanilla, although i also adore chocolate, cookies and cream, moosetracks, vanilla rippled with fudge. when it's in season, pumpkin ice cream made my our local creamery that makes their own icecream.

and, really ..
i hope you feel well soon..

10:39 PM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

Hi there!

I hope you're feeling really really better by now. Oh' I would luuuv' to have some ice cream...it is an ice cream cone peeeerfect day over here...real blazing hot....However, since I have indulged myself shamelessly the past two weeks I know I truly shouldn't give in to the temptation....


ok..maybe just a small small tiiiiiny...scoop...What's the harm eh?

10:42 PM  
Blogger HLiza said...

Hope you get well soon! I only like chocolate on my ice-cream cone. Recently our MD introduced me to Ben & Jerry ice-cream while we were in Hong Kong Airport..it's not available in Malaysia. I love the one with huge chunk of chocolate in it. Yum..

3:30 AM  
Blogger Slim said...

Hope you feel better. I think everyone gets sick this time of year because the germs thaw out ;-)

There's no way on earth that I could narrow my favorite ice cream down to one flavor. I can say that if I did, it would be hard chocolate ice cream with some kind of chunks or swirls.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

1) Mint chocolate chip
2) Coffee (alone or with Heath!)
3) Peppermint (Edy's had a special one at X Mas with candy canes in it. Yowza.)


:)

Feel better, Thursday dearest.
Sending Good Karma your way...

:)

10:02 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

ice Cream makes everything better!!

My favorite ice cream is often something with chocolate & hazelnut.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

Mint chocolate has always been my favorite...and a little scoop of reg. chocolate on top is divine :)
Hugs- feel better soon :)

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... better than anything else that I've tried... LOVE that song!!! Sweet memories of my first ice cream love - Baskin Robbins vanilla choc. chip.

7:41 PM  
Blogger NYD said...

More than any other edible, ice cream brings out the greatest variety of memories for me. I have used it like whiskey to assauge my sorrow and like champagne to celebrate. It has been a sweet, soothing friend since my earliest memories.

When I can get it I always choose pistacio. especially if it's the old style with the green food coloring.

Get well soon, sweetie.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Jack of Cakes said...

I'mn sorry you are not feeling well...Need a nurse? My favorite flavor depends on who is making it...I Edy's Rocky Road, Turkey Hills Mint Choc Chip, BJ's new York Super Fudge Chunk, Breyer's Strawberry..but Hagen Daz gets 4 scoops from me!

1:43 AM  
Blogger Vixen said...

Hey Girl! I've created a new blog and hope to be getting back to reading and writing more posts! Here's the link:

http://thebreakfastclub1.wordpress.com/

5:54 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

i sincerely hope you are feeling better..

8:20 PM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Fever, Puddin'? Oh no. Get some of the Peace of Mind from Origins--it helps wif' headache and fever and stuffy noses.

Ice cream? When I'se little, in the summers, we nearly wet our britches when we heard the Ice Cream truck comin' round...an' he had the best creamsicles.

Nowdays I'se all sophisticated and go fer the coffee with fudge river runnin' through it.

Hope youse feelin' up ter snuff real soon.

10:16 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

i am dying for ice cream now that i read this. all i have is sugar free banana popsicles. that wont get it done im afraid. i need a high fat count now!!

please get well soon!

10:56 PM  
Blogger vintagebird said...

Been reading through your archives and I've found
-It is impossible for Jack not to be incredibly cute at all times.
-You rock.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I really hope you are feeling better now!

Favorite ice cream. That's a though one. We are always having a discussion whether Haagen Dasz beats Ben & Jerry's. They are both yum. All flavors :-) Fish food is great, but I also love strawberry cheesecake!

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home