Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, March 24, 2008

"The noises I hear round me are bubbling..." ~ Jane Eyre

It has been the most mauvaise of Mondays.

Compounding finishing a regimen of antibiotics last night and battling exhaustion each day, the day itself was exceptionally ridiculous in how many aspects went wrong since walking through my office door at eight thirty this morning. It was such a wonderful feeling to walk through my door this evening, slam the door to the outside world, change into pajamas by seven o'clock, eat some leftover lamb from Easter, and turn on some vintage Madonna. Speaking to J.Sarah tonight was the best part of my day, and being reassured by my kindred spirit that the half life of the meds was quick, I realized that a celebration was in order after I finished discussing her trip to Germany she just arrived home from.

At first I thought wine - I have tons of Beaujolais. A nice glass of red with the New Yorker; perfect ending to a bad day. However, today was no ordinary bad day - it was filled with instances that made me think back to the Alexander of my youth, though I wish I was in France and not Australia.

So, what is a fille to do if she cant go to France?

Drink champagne.

I had a half bottle of Moet White Star and popped that cork, knowing it was a good remedy for a bad day. After all, people do have bad days in France, such as the bar maid in the Manet painting. She looks tres fatigue.

Having bubbles fizz up my nose as I sipped made the day all better. It was cold and refreshing, dry and crisp. Sometimes it is not enough to reward yourself with the usual and familiar. Sometimes you have to remember how much you love yourself and want yourself cheered up.

Sometimes you just have to drink champagne.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger h said...

Vintage Madonna? Was that a sophisticated NY joke I don't get?

10:13 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Troll: I would say vintage Madge is anything pre-1987, and since it was the True Blue cd, it constitutes the term...though I cant argue the sophisticated New York sense of humor part...xoxo

10:18 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

First, I love "vintage" Madonna. I think you have to be a woman to understand.

As for the Champagne; on the way to visit my sister on Friday after a long week I stopped for her favorite bottle and we opened it at 5:00 pm (too early? oh no!) and toasted.... just ourselves. It was lovely.

I'm glad you found a way to celebrate yourself today.

10:25 PM  
Blogger HLiza said...

Love that portrait. He he I can't really comment coz I had never had champagne..maybe in my case I'll go for chocolate. Gosh..I haven't had one decent bar for ages!

7:37 AM  
Blogger moi said...

I adore both vintage and current incarnation Madonna.

And champagne.

And parts of France. The perfumeries in Paris, the Cote d'Azure.

But, in the end, the only true city por Moi is NY City :o).

8:21 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Some days just call for some champagne. I always keeps some handy. You just never know.

9:06 AM  
Blogger vintagebird said...

Oh, I love Champagne. I would rather drink that than a cocktail or beer any day. I'm always tempted to order a glass in restaurant just because it's on the menu. Sometimes we need a little pick me up in this never ending winter.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Marty said...

ANY Madonna=Fabulous.

You took meds and then downed champagne?

Good girl!!!

;)

6:36 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

AB ~ 5 o'clock is never too early for champagne. Neither is eleven in the morning - mimosas!

HLiza ~ If I had to choose between champagne and a chocolate dessert, I would go with the chocolate.

Moi ~ I am so excited about Hard Candy, you have no idea. My favorite cd of hers will always be Ray of Light.

Kels ~ Ah, I always knew we were on the same page.

Shannon ~ I know what you mean! When its on the menu, why not order it? Lets make a pact: the next time either of us are out and its on the menu, we have to order it!

Marty ~ LOL! Oh no no no: it was 24 hours after my last dose of the bactrum...I would be risking liver failure if I did that! Loved your post on Madge...

9:15 PM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

Wish I could crawl through the net to share a glass with you.

3:30 AM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

i have friends for whom champagne is the perfect pick me up. unfortunately i can never join them. it makes me nauseous ..
i'm the one who sticks out with the hot and spicy bloody mary ideally with a pickled ocra in it when i need a pick me up.. irregardless of what time of day or night ..

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home