Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, April 28, 2008

"With ceaseless rain sweeping away wildly..." ~ Jane Eyre

A few hours ago my nephew, who will turn three in September, was at the door when it was raining; I scooped him up and had him under my umbrella and twirled him around as I sang "Singin' in the Rain" off tune. He still laughed and smiled as I managed not to hit each note, happy to be swinging (and singing) in the rain.

Upon entering the kitchen where my two sisters were, he asked for the umbrella. I said it was wet, but his mom grabbed his plastic Elmo umbrella from the closet so he could play with one. I then started singing again, quietly, but this time catching the ears of my sisters.

The film with Gene Kelly is one that is embedded in the memories of our childhood that sing the notes of happiness we had during that time. It was a film passed on to us by our parents, and they loved it because their parents shared it with them. If we had a soundtrack of our sisterhood, there would be songs from Singing in the Rain.

Missy said that she had the DVD, and Robin said to take it out to show him the scene. It was still wrapped in plastic; she must have had it on the shelf for years without watching it. Still, my sisters and I once had that movie memorized, so there is no real time lost.

The track of the famous scene was 40. Jack stood watching seriously with his Elmo umbrella in hand. Melissa placed a hat on his head, and within a few moments of the scene starting, my nephew proceeded to imitate Gene Kelly in the scene, tapping with the umbrella, twirling it around, hoisting it on his shoulder, and jumping up and down as Kelly splashes in the puddles. He even managed to utter an "Uh Oh" when the policemen enters the end of the scene. It was one of the most adorable moments a child has ever had. Its on video...I have proof...and I will download it to share in the future.

But for now it remains a very private moment. You see, I saw the tears in the corners of my sisters' eyes, and I felt them in my own. There is so much that we want to give to the next generation that has been given to us, including song. For my nephew to share a scene and a song that linked our bond as sisters and daughters and granddaughters to our family was a special moment this evening. These are songs that represent the innocence of childhood, whether it is flying a kite, singing in the rain, or going somewhere over the rainbow. Each time he hears them for the first time, it is like we hear it again for the first time all over again, and its magic.

My brother-in-law had never seen the part of the film since he did not grow up here in America. So seeing him watch it for the first time with Jack was also special; we spent about 45 minute watching this scene and "Good Morning" as Jack danced, and believe me, it was a glorious feeling. (He saw "Make 'Em Laugh" but thought Donald O'Conner was really getting hurt, so we had to cease playing that scene)

Please enjoy a trip down memory lane...though Jack IS fierce competition for Mr. Kelly, folks, as you shall one day see. Hope you are singing if its raining...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bkEvy-9yVyQ

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

do you sisters and family know you write such loving stories about your family?
the love of family is always very 'there' in your posts.
what a treasurable moment .. (i'm getting the spell check for treasurable .. lol.. i know it's not a word) .. :)

5:49 AM  
Blogger {Ãñgê£}ä said...

What a wonderful moment, and so great that you did catch it on film, something I never seem to do... :)
Have a great week!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Oh! I almost used Gene Kelly for last week's Mute Monday, Poetry. Back when I was young and there was NO VHS/DVD/VCR's, "Singin' in the Rain" was often run late at night... my Mother would let me go to bed early and then wake me up so we could watch it together.

*sigh* How can you NOT be happy when watching that entire movie? "Make Them Laugh" "Moses Supposes" ? I think I know what I'm doing when I get home tonight...

:-)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Now, those are the memories you want to keep forever. I'm so glad that you have that. xoxo

12:41 PM  
Blogger moi said...

Singing in the Rain is one of my all time favorite movies. Parts of Cheyenne Social Club were filmed on my ex-father-in-law's ranch and he always said Kelly was one of the all time great class acts. A true gentleman and one heck of an athlete.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

PRECIOUS! What a well written story. Enjoyed every minute.

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my all time favorites...I simply adored Gene Kelly.

7:43 AM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

Hi Amy!!!!

What a wonderful wonderful wonderful read in this very very very rainy wet afternoon over here in this island across the great great ocean where I live....

I watched the video..and now would like to watch the entire film...I've seen this when I was a kid and have forgotten mostly what the movie is about...Good thing there's a video store a drive nearby that sells all the wonderful classics...sooo many...I'll drop by tomorrow and look for this :>

Prism ( used to be Lady Luxie')

5:05 AM  
Blogger Jack of Cakes said...

God I was only wanted to be Gene Kelly, or/ and or have his children. He was so sexy!!! Such a MAN when he danced. Need to show him American in Paris!!!!!!

10:58 PM  
Blogger Jack of Cakes said...

I was wanted to be Gene Kelly, or have his children!!! He was a man when he danced and not to bad on the eyes!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home