Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Saturday, May 17, 2008

"Fell in love with..." ~ Jane Eyre

If he and I were to be characterized in terms of a piece of art, it would probably be one of my most loved: The Nighthawks by Edward Hopper. I fell in love with this other piece of art yesterday, a song, the moment I heard it when I was lying next to him. http://youtube.com/watch?v=SQO7IUrqXqY
Yesterday evening I ran into the very coffee shop where, in essence, this commenced over three months ago. I was grabbing two espressos for us before dinner and glanced at the table we sat at, smiling to myself as I ordered from the barrista. There is something about love in a coffee shop that is cliche, but you have to figure that there is not much else two people do but converse without distraction, sipping warm goodness with an opportunity to share conversation for hours. If you are fortunate, the person warms you more than what you are sipping at your lips warms you. I remember almost a week later after that meeting, which was never meant to be a date, we were back there sipping coffee and reading the Times on a date. Except we didnt read the Times. We just kept talking, and the conversation has not ceased. It has been a path of continual conversing that grows richer with each word in passing. As the lyrics go to the song, I've seen the paths that your eyes wander down/I want to come too.

I suppose what this blog needs is me spending time in a coffee shop with a red eye, infusing some more writing here lately and continuing a path I have made for over two years. Honestly, I am not myself lately, but I am happy not to be myself, for these recent moments in coffeeshops and elsewhere, have rendered me speechless.

And for the first time in my life...I love being speechless.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger vintagebird said...

I was at the Art Institute of Chicago this week and left sad because I just missed a Hopper exhibit! I love him too.

7:19 PM  
Blogger diana said...

first of all,
that one of my favorite works of art too..
don't worry about being speechless. love can do that.. and that's fine!
btw., it's a great gift in a relationship to be able to communicate well with each other.

10:22 PM  
Blogger diana said...

btw, luv the song! i don't know where i first hear it though..

10:23 PM  
Blogger Jack of Cakes said...

Goodness that song is beautiful...i didn't know until now that being speechless means being in love. I am so happy that you are speechless.

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yet, I am glad you found the words to describe your speechlessness... ;-)

6:42 AM  
Blogger HLiza said...

Ow..soo sweet! When we dated, we had to meet in public places and eateries since that's what is accepted for lovers in our culture (then)..and I find we learn about each other a lot too by just eating, drinking and talking about a lot of stuffs. A lot of moments went speechless too..and the eyes, the smiles, the facial gestures meant a lot more.. Have fun!

10:05 AM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Congratulatons on not being yoreself, Sugar Pie!! Youse better'n self, the enhanced self--the one that benefuits from the catalyst of love.

I likes Edward Hopper too.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Well that is just beautiful.

8:30 PM  
Blogger NYD said...

Reading this makes me want to fall in love all over again.

8:34 AM  
Blogger moi said...

What a lovely post. Hopper's one of my faves, as well. Sounds like you're enjoying being in love and that's awesome. Enjoy!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I had the pleasure of seeing the Hopper Exhibit in Boston last summer - what an artist. As for YOU.... it's so nice to hear about a happy love story in a blog.... usually it's just the opposite.

10:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its so inspiring to read about someone who's gone speechless due to finding love! what a happy post in a world where i hear way too much of unhappy couples.

i'm pleased as all get out that THERE are people who talk and love...if you could send some of that fairy love dust my way i would be eternally grateful!

:)

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home