Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"My head grew hot..." ~ Jane Eyre

Living on Long Island gives you the best of both worlds in the summertime. I love being thirty minutes away from the beach and forty minutes away from the city. Summer in the city is special despite the heat and grit and thick humidity that clings to each highrise above and below you as you walk the streets.

My cool cat mentioned the other night to this kitty how there is something about the heat of summer that is extremely seductive. I couldnt agree more. I believe that it true between two people in the heat of summer, but I also believe that the city itself, all five boroughs included, becomes so more seductive in the summer.

What I love about summer in the city...

~ The Subway: I know you are thinking that the subway is the worst part about the city in the summer. It is extremely hot on the platforms and people move lethargically as they wait for the trains. This is true. But what is also true is how good the contrast feels once the train starts to arrive. The breeze reaches you and you are beginning the cool down. The car doors open and the moment you step into the car is the moment that feels amazing: the cold air conditioning hits you and it the feeling on your skin tastes as good as an ice pop does on your tongue.

~ Rooftops and Gardens: Eating and drinking on the rooftops of Manhattan is special. There are many rooftop bars, but the rooftops and gardens to dine in are spectacular. Its like a little oasis away from the city hubub. As much as I love al fresco dining on the sidewalks of New York, I do prefer back gardens or upstairs getaways. One of my favorite outdoor garden areas to dine and drink is in Astoria, Queens. Its Cavo, a Greek restaurant with an oasis in the back that makes you feel like you are somewhere outside in Greece as you sip your retsina. A few blocks away likes the Bohemian Beer Garden - an outdoor Oasis with a plethora of pitchers of Pilsner!

~ Museums: They are cool with culture and the best exhibits are always in the summer months when the tourists come. Case and point? The MET has their costume institute filled with an exhibit on Superhero costumes. http://www.metmuseum.org/special/se_event.asp?OccurrenceId={5B98D8A0-AB67-4137-8F5E-873FDB82EE73}&HomePageLink=special_c3a

~ The Rest: Shakespeare in the Park, Lemon Ice King of Corona ices, Coney Island, Yankee Stadium, mojitos at Asia De Cuba, street fairs, the lingering smell of halal meat in the humid air, the sound of flip flops of women on the sidewalk, the available parking on the Upper East Side, air conditioned cabs, A Midsummer Night's Swing at Lincoln Center, Mr. Softees parked by the parks, air conditioners dripping down on the sidewalks, owners giving their dogs bottles of Poland Spring, Monday night movies at Bryant Park...

For some Lovin' Spoonful and cool lyrics like Cool Cat looking for a Kitty: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1fxhebNeFXk

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

hmmmmmmmmm,
sounds very seductive..
actually these nudie doodles i've been drawing coincide directly with the heat wave we've been having ..

8:37 PM  
Blogger NYD said...

Although You would most likely find me at Shea stadium. I can remember the feel of the push of cold, subway driven air and how an entire platform of people would sigh at the feeling. I also wouldn't mind traipsing through a block party with a ice cold beer in my hand.

9:54 AM  
Blogger h said...

Bloomie should hire you to write copy for the Tourism Dept.

10:50 AM  
Blogger moi said...

My great aunt lived on Kingsbridge road right across the street from Poe Park. It's been twenty plus years since I've been there (she's long dead), and I have no idea what the neighborhood is like today, but I loved the time I spent there. And I love your city posts because it's as good as visiting.

2:30 PM  
Blogger HLiza said...

I wish I can experience your part of the world one day..the breeze upon the subway door opening sounds so tempting, the rooftop dining is something we can't do here..unless you want to get bad sunburn in hot days or get drenched by rain pours, the halal meat (well, does is smell different from the non-halal ones?) and all those theatre seduction...I'm imagining them here. And wishing I'm there..

4:03 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I was in Boston last summer, riding the subways and I have to agree with you... I loved waiting for the cars, hearing them whooosh and then stepping into that lovely cool air.

You are a true New Yorker and this is a lovely tribute to summer in the city.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Marty said...

I plan to take 1,000 pics of your Great City!!!

I think they'd look great as a collage.

:)

Note to self: Buy 20GB memory card. haha ;)
You're lucky you live in the greatest city in the world. :)

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm - lived in NYC (upper west side Manhattan, Elmhurst/Queens) 12 years. Now, it's a great place to visit. Can't justify the expense of living there anymore. I agree with marty about taking lots of pics - during my last visit, I ran out of space on memory card! Truly endless memorable sights and sounds.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Really, one of my dogs is named Jane Eyre!

I dont know why I am sharing that with you. just thought you'd find it funny.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home