Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, September 15, 2008

"Such a wealth of the power of communicating happiness..." ~ Jane Eyre

Today wasn't exactly the ideal time to start working for a bank on Wall Street. I dodged reporters as I walked past the stock exchange towards the building where the Forex trading floor I am working on is located. Despite it being an unfortunate day for many involved in the financial industry, it was a fortunate day for me. I am working for a bank that is secure at the moment and didn't let the days downward ascension affect my upbeat mood. It may not be a day that was booming on Wall Street in the 1980's, but I still felt the surge of the East River running and enjoyed being in this silver city that rises above each and every crisis it faces.

So I arrived in a new outfit indicative of a woman working for a bank - black pants, blue button down shirt, black shoes, and a cool messenger bag and enjoyed my first day. Yes, I enjoyed it. Orientation was bearable and informative, my lunch at Au Bon Pain was yummy, meeting my new team was cool, and being a New York City working woman was just awesome. Albeit I am anxious to adjust to this new routine of work time and commuting, but I know a week or two from now those anxieties shall dissipate and I shall get a good grasp of this. The work, thankfully, is none I shall have to ever bring home (like I did when I was teaching) or have to give up weekends and nights (like I did when recruiting for the University)...and I get OT for every second I stay past my 35 hour work week. I already learned my immediate team puts family and personal well being first, so I know they are going to be a good family to me. My new boss is so hands-off; its nice knowing my intellect and work ethic is already trusted.

The transition from education and academia to corporate is not as severe as I thought it would be. I feel taken care of already in so many ways, and as big and formal as the world is, there is already a lot of warmth I have experienced today. I am proud of the years I dedicated to helping our youth, but I have realized that this new career is going to help me support myself in getting to the point of being able to have a family of my own and earning enough money to save for a family life in the near future with the Prince.

As for the Prince, I could not have gotten through this day without him. His whisking me away for a small getaway before all of this was an amazing gift, his words of encouragement about this new job are words I have been blessed with, and his aura motivates me so very much to work hard for a life that is going to be beautiful together. As much as I wish I was coming home to him tonight physically, I know I am metaphorically, and that is what makes this day worth it all.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Brittany Kalaj Margulieux said...

Awww :]

12:21 AM  
Blogger Dani said...

Congrats on a great first day! My husband is from Bergen county and the first time he took me into the city I was just in awe. Such a great place!

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not the best day to start indeed. Speaking of which, I read in the newspaper today about one poor guy from France who moved to London to start his new job with Lehman's there. He turned up for his first day at 9am and was promptly fired along with every one of the other 5000 employees the company had there...

8:15 AM  
Blogger vintagebird said...

It may have been a weird day to start work, but you convey the feeling of floating on air... Congratulations!

9:20 AM  
Blogger moi said...

Congratulations on this exciting new phase in your life! May you gain tremendous satisfaction from your work. I raise a cup of coffee in your honor . . .

1:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad your orientation went good. Sounds exciting to be starting a new leg of your journey through life. :)

10:35 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

You are the NY City working woman. So glad your first day went well and that your Prince was there to rescue you from the late train on your second. I'd imagine it's so exciting to work in the city. Hope today's a great one!

7:04 AM  
Blogger HLiza said...

I had always dreamed of being a corporate girl before since I was small..I like the corporate outfit I saw in my mom's woman magazine. I only achieved it after marriage and all thanks to my supporting hubby who trust me to go out there when most Malay man will rather keep their wives in the kitchen..

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home