Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Sunday, September 14, 2008







"Seemed to swim round me..." ~ Jane Eyre


For over two hours this past Friday, the Prince and I had the pool and jacuzzi at the Simsbury Inn to ourselves. It was a quiet day at the Inn, and though my plan was to relax in the jacuzzi the entire time, the Prince had other plans for me once he found out that...well...

I was never formally instructed on how to swim.

Granted, we had an above ground pool growing up in my house that was no more than four feet and I went in, underwater even, with goggles and loved being in the water. However, I was never given formal training and could no nothing more to truly stay afloat than a simple paddle. I am not always comfortable in the water - there has always been fear on some level and I have never truly been a risk taker in the water.

So with his perfect combination of patience, encouragement, and ability to tune into the best way I learn - detailed verbal instructions - he taught me the first basics of swimming, including how to truly float. I never thought twice about trusting him as he held me, and I never doubted his intuition of when to let go of me and allow me to do it on my own. After a while, I was able to not only float in the water, but thanks to his tutelage, navigate myself as I floated. He also taught me how to use my hands in the water when I swim and where to position my legs as I kicked. Granted, I shall never be Dana Torres, but I look forward to the next time I am in a pool.

Sometimes after a weekend or a getaway, the Prince asks what my favorite part of it was. As we grow together, its always harder to pinpoint a specific moment. This getaway is case and point. I loved each and every minute of it with him, especially in the pool together. With slight embarrassment but complete confidence he wouldn't tease me about it, I told him a story when we were in the pool together about how, as a young girl in my pool, I would daydream that I was a mermaid in the water, waiting for my Prince to come. Of course daydreams never truly are like reality, because my Prince is a better Prince than this mermaid ever dreamed up.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Miss Cavendish said...

Would Mr. Rochester have been so patient? Sounds like a lovely holiday. BTW, Jane Eyre is one of my favorite books (I mentioned it a few posts ago-in one called "Literary Style; or, the Book-Her Prize." I wonder whether you feel the same way about Adele's dress?!

11:24 AM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

being able to swim is so important!
i'm glad this was such a positive experience for you ..
and really, for the both of you .. :)

11:33 AM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

Kudos to Price Charmin'/Rochester!!
Shure want ya to know how to swim afore ya'll come to Florida. Swimin' ia basic survival skill round heah.! Sounds as though ya'll had an idyllic weekend!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

How wonderful to have the pool to yourself with your Prince. You are the lucky one indeed. My pool was closed. I'll be writing about it soon. I grew up spending summers at the community pool, and always took swimming lessons. At summer camp, swimming lessons were a requirement. I've always taken it for granted...to know how to swim properly. My daughter had swimming lessons one summer when she was very young. Looking back, I wonder why I didn't do it year after year since we belong to a community pool. Oh well...hindsight.

5:18 PM  
Blogger Pamela Terry and Edward said...

So sweet! And, I must confess, I never learned to swim either! But not long after we married my husband and I were on holiday and I had a similar experience as yours. Trust is a wonderful thing, especially in the water!

Thanks for stopping by today. Edward and I welcome your visits anytime!

12:20 AM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

Your post makes me long for sunshine and green mango juice and blue sapphire pools and glistening wet bodies. There's nothing but rain here right now. Such a delight to read about your fun!

ps: Thank you for dropping by my bloggy' home awhile ago and leaving such sweet comments:> I hope work went well for you.

6:18 AM  
Blogger Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

HOw sweeeetttt! You are such a gifted writer! Glad you are learning to swim. Under the sea is a beautiful world just waiting to be seen.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home