Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, November 10, 2008

"This lane inclined up-hill all the way to Hay..." ~ Jane Eyre

Yesterday morning I woke up in the Prince's arms and could not resist kissing him repeatedly, not feeling guilty for disturbing him even though we both could have slept a bit later. I become too excited; waking up with him always feels like Christmas morning - it is that special, indeed. I was looking forward to our day...or rather, his day. We decided to take turns deciding what the day's activities would be during this weekend getaway to the North Fork of Long Island. We were in Mattituck thanks go J. Sarah's parents giving us their vacation home for a long weekend.

Saturday was "my" day, which included eating breakfast at our favorite restaurant in Mattituck - Love Lane Kitchen. The kitchen, photographed above, is a great place for fresh coffee, delicious breakfasts, and fresh lunches. I had the special of sweet potato pancakes and the Prince had a panini with pesto and vegetables. After breakfast we arrived at the house to unpack. We then did a few errands before going wine tasting. Sadly, many wineries allow limos and party buses on weekends now, and its unfortunate because it really takes away from the lovely experience that is usually so relaxing and wonderful. The best time to go is winter and weekdays to wineries. We did do a flight at Peconic Bay, which was lovely despite the crowds. We then drove to the beach area and sat listening to music for a little while before we went back to the house for cocktails and snacking on cheese from Catapano Farms (they are a goat cheese farm and make amazing goat cheese gouda). I then made dinner - ratatouille and penne paired with Simi Chardonnay - that I will post on my food blog shortly. The rest of the evening was quiet and cozy - we so needed this downtime.

The Prince's day started the same way mine did- breakfast at Love Lane Kitchen! This time around I had an egg sandwich on a croissant and he had an omelet. We ran to get the New York Times and spent over an hour reading the paper on counter stools in the kitchen at the house with Meet the Press on in the background. Afterwards we changed into swimsuits and went into the hot tub on the deck, which felt decadent and therapeutic all at the same time. I stared at the trees above me, red and gold leaves abundant as the North Fork is experiencing the height of its foliage. After the hot tub we turned on football and got pizza for lunch. The Prince made a fire in the fireplace and we sat and watched the movie The Happening before I got up to make dinner of chicken cutlets crusted in Parmesan, potatoes au gratin, and honeyed carrots (which I will also post shortly on my food blog). After dinner, the fire was still burning as we waited for the Giants game to commence, and we sat on the couch staring at the fire, quite content, indeed.

I am sure he is reading this and thinking what I am thinking - how writing about our time together like this in chronological form does the weekend very little justice. For what made it most special are the moments we spoke, the moments we didn't have to speak, and the moments of laughter between us. Those moments stay private...always.

Besides which, I have no time to write anymore today. I promise the Prince an ode this weekend, and its time to write it for him, and him alone.

http://www.catapanodairyfarm.com/

http://lovelanekitchen.com/

http://www.peconicbaywinery.com/sitecontent.cfm?page=welcome

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger darkfoam said...

now i'm starved ..
tsk ..
;/
;)

4:31 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Does the Prince have a brother? Kidding! I've been married so long I forgot that waking up on a Sunday isn't staring at one of the dogs backsides and screaming for coffee.

;-)

4:46 PM  
Blogger Yes said...

What a lucky guy! Your at-home menus sound amazing...

7:02 PM  
Blogger Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Seriosly, you need to write a romance novel. You are so talented. I know I say that each time I comment, but you are.



and......like foam, I find myself starving....

10:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds like a great weekend. To be able to just hang out and be would be nice. :) And the food all sounds yummy!

10:13 AM  
Blogger vintagebird said...

What a fun time! I'm dying for a getaway like yours. I love that you both picked the same restaurant.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Now that does sound like a fantastic way to spend the weekend.

6:06 PM  
Blogger HLiza said...

Reading your posts started to feel like reading my Mills and Boons books 20 years ago..he he..all the sweet impossible stuffs..ahh..

10:38 AM  
Blogger NYD said...

I could use a weekend like that.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Aunty Belle said...

tha's somethin' about breakfast on the weekends...yore fella is got hisself a good thang!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

the first thought I had after reading this was to prepare an egg and breakfast tomorrow. It would be a little deviation from the usual bread I use....

and I was picturing the winery with a lot of people and the two of you amongst the crowd...then finding a little area of quiet....

lovely...

* shhhh...but i should be working right now..right after i checkout your new recipe he!he!

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home