Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Monday, April 30, 2007



"The remembrance of the wider ocean..." ~ Jane Eyre


Learning from the man is something important to me when it comes to relationships. Yes, it is important to have commonalities in values and interests, but it is also quite lovely when a man is able to introduce me to subjects and teach me about them. I find the exchange extremely romantic and attractive.

I never knew that Alaskan King Crab would ever be a part of my new romance, but they have clawed their way into my new relationship with gusto! In retrospect, I don't even know if I have ever tasted Alaskan King Crab. Aside from my learning from his knowledge on food, wine, politics, sports, and Manhattan's history, the new man is also knowledgeable about fishing.


Yes, this landlubber has fallen for a man with sea legs.


His boat is to enter the water soon as it is being prepared for weekend fishing excursions off of the waters of Long Island this summer. In addition to fishing, he has a few crab pots that he likes to drop. Yesterday he told me that during his twelfth summer, he decided to take the concept of a lemonade stand to the next level and asked neighbors for crab orders. He would fish with his father, and his mother would prepare the crabs in the kitchen and he would deliver them. The idea of fishing and crabbing with him this summer makes me smile as I sit here and write. I can't wait to look for bluefish recipes, crab recipes, and picnic recipes for the trips out to sea.


A few weeks ago we were both doing a When Harry Met Sally moment watching tv together via phone when he told me about a show that was about to come on. I had never heard of it, so I flipped to the channel and within ten minutes I became hooked (pun intended, of course). I rarely watch tv, but thanks to him I am addicted...passionately addicted...to Discovery Channel's The Deadliest Catch. http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/deadliestcatch.html


The show is currently in its third season, and I have done my best to catch up on seasons one and two via reruns. Season three is in the middle of its run, and this has become my soap opera. I have become obsessed with the boats, captains, and drama that is involved in the Bering Sea during Crab season. My favorite captain is Phil, because he is such a good dad to his two sons who are now deck hands on his boat, the Cornelia Marie. The ship got damaged recently and its been upsetting to watch Phil lose ground in the season. I am hoping that tomorrow night Phil makes a comeback and his pots get lots of crab.


The beau and I are so crazed over this show that we have been emailing information back and forth all afternoon about Dutch Harbor, Unalaska, and even the architecture of the Russian Orthodox Church in Unalaska while we should be working. I also discovered that the boats are making merchandise now and I really want a Cornelia Marie t-shirt or a t-shirt that says I Got Crabs in Dutch Harbor.


At the moment work is hard and I am really crabby that it is Monday, but I cannot wait to learn from the new beau how to crab this summer and how to teach myself to make this for us:

Alaskan King Crab Nachos (courtesy of Epicurious.com)
ingredients:
24 won ton wrappers
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For filling:
1 ripe California avocado
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon wasabi paste
3/4 lb cooked Alaska king crab leg in shell (1 leg), thawed if frozen and split lengthwise
Special equipment: 2 mini-muffin pans
preparation:
Make won ton cups:
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Stack 12 won ton wrappers together and trim stack into a 3-inch square. Repeat with remaining won tons. Transfer 1 won ton to an oiled work surface and brush top lightly with some oil. Top with another won ton and brush lightly with oil. Repeat with remaining won tons (this way both sides become lightly oiled).
Put 1 won ton into cup of a muffin pan, pressing it gently into bottom and side to form a cup. Repeat with remaining won tons and sprinkle with salt to taste.
Bake won ton cups in middle of oven until crisp and golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer won ton cups to racks to cool (they will continue to crisp).

Make filling:Scoop flesh from avocado and mash coarsely with a fork. Stir in shallot, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and wasabi to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove crab meat from shell and cut into 1/2-inch cubes. Toss crab with remaining tablespoon lime juice and salt to taste.
Spoon guacamole into won ton cups and top with crab.
Cooks' notes:• Won ton cups can be made 2 days ahead and kept in an airtight container at cool room temperature.
• Guacamole may be made 4 hours ahead. Chill and cover surface with plastic wrap.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

Crab ROCKS!

(I likes the seafoods)

;)

Also, I know people who watch 'Deadliest Catch.'

Stunning stuff.

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I googled Deadliest Catch and ran into your blog. Nice post! I happen to blog specifically about the show and have all the fishing vessel websites listed plus a lot more. If you ever want to check it out...
www.deadliestreport.wordpress.com

kind regards
opilia

6:31 PM  
Blogger ThursdayNext said...

Opilia - The s at the end of the address was left out, so everyone please check out www.deadliestreports.wordpress.blogspot.com
for some great blogging! :) Thanks for visiting here!

Marty ~ I admit that the show gets me hungry, too!

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes... Crabs.

I love the watchin-tv-on-the-phone moment though :-)

Good luck with the beginning of the new schoolweek. Mine was horrible!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Since reading your post, I am not kidding I have noticed Dealiest Catch mentioned EVERYWHERE. On the radio this morning they were talking about its addicitive qualites. Too funny!

Oh, and I totally agree, I love being taught new things. If you both know different stuff you have so much to talk about.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Vixen said...

I can't eat Crab - I'm allergic, but, if I could I would definatly eat your recipe. Sounds wonderful!

And isn't it wonderful dating someone who in addition to some common interests has new and exciting topics and experiences to bring to the table?! I never thought I would know as much as I do about being an Army Sniper as I do - all because of my honey! :)

3:13 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

my, my.... a new romance.....!
How so very exciting. and just think. what with you being a foody we get to inherit all the great recipes such as the one you just posted.
yummmmmmm, i'm already starved. hope you have seaworthy legs, amy. what an exciting time. and hang in there. school is almost out. i was just trained today in end of school year testing procedures......sigh..
happens every year and every year i sigh.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

You're popping up on google..? LOL..soooo cool.

Yummy babe. Soooo yummy. Summer and crab eating is around the corner. Get those recipies ready. Ooooh and maybe some cocktails, too. :)
xoxo
C

8:36 PM  
Blogger ReadItDaddy said...

Yummers! Real hard to get anything like this here, that doesn't come in a can - but now and again the Covered Market in Oxford gets fresh crab and I nab them (they're nothing like those though, these are the pretty boys of the crab world, not the big mingers).

Peej
x

4:27 AM  
Blogger b said...

my brother is a crabber slash fisherman slash backhoe operator so i know all about the crabbing - i hope your experience is less work & more fun than mine! my brother tends to yell a bit! ;)

the results of the catch are fabby - i can eat crab everyday!

it also nice to read about someone who's having When Harry Met Sally moments - it makes me go 'awwwwww'!

9:05 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

mmmmm...crab. DElish. =-)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah on the man...

and OMG --- i too am obsesed w/ the show - but i tend to watch it on marathon weekends - so i watch an entire season in a day or a weekend

8:41 PM  
Blogger sparringK9 said...

you fell in love while i was away? yay. i am reminded of the crab eating scene in flashdance. 'member?

10:21 AM  
Blogger Lady Prism said...

o..hee! hee!...I watched that show as well!...was devastated when Phil's boat ran into trouble :>>

My hubby is a crab person and every so often we would hie off to The Red Table which is a Chinese restaurant here specializing in succulent chili king crabs...

( imagining chili king crabs right now....)

uh' oh..me' hungry...

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send an email to "graphroditee@nc.rr.com" asking for a link to where you can buy BOAT SPECIFIC, Dutch Harbor, or just Crab Fishing generic T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Hoodies, Caps, Stickers, Mugs & more! I got a Northwestern one! I love it!

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home