Eyre Affairs

Reader, welcome to my life.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

Friday, June 08, 2007

"After all, it's tough work..." ~ Jane Eyre


One of my favorite movie heroines is "Hildy" from His Girl Friday. She is smart, witty, sweet, and tenacious. She also keeps her eyes on the prize and, in the end, never compromises herself in terms of her career as a reporter. (Of course its not really hard to understand why a woman would not leave Cary Grant)

This career change is slow and steady. Slow in that it has taken time to fully grasp where I want to go (publishing? not-for-profit?) Steady in that now that I know the path I want to take, there are many openings in the field.

Hildy always keeps her eye on the prize: her story. I have my eye on the prize to create a new story of my life, not just a new chapter.

This year I feel like one of the seniors at the high school. I, too, am off to college. I do not want to leave education, and entering academia as an administrator is, in the end, the most exciting story there could be. In the past month I have been sending my resume to colleges and universities in the area; I think being in an administrative role in academia is a perfect fit for me.

Its fun, exciting, scary, and nerve-wrecking all at the same time. I think my silence here has been due to serious introspection about career changing. Hildy struggled with her decision to leave the newspaper and her writing fell silent during that time. I look forward to sharing my career change experiences here; who knows what story is next. I can't wait to write it and I can't wait for you to read it.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Marty said...

An administrator, huh? God Bless! You must have nerves of steel, my friend. But then, all jobs have their stress. And all jobs have great rewards. Well, maybe not Sewage Supervisor. ha Best of luck with it all!

ps My goal in life is to get you very, very tanked, force you to watch some horror movie with me, and blog about the whole thing. haha I tease because I love. ;)

pps Guinness sounds most excellent. ;)

8:50 PM  
Blogger Slim said...

I LOVE that movie! It was my first introduction to Cary Grant and I swooned. I remember being amazed that a 2 hour movie could be entertaining with witty conversation alone, and wondering why nobody made movies like that anymore.

Administration, huh? Pretty impressive! Congratulations.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's great that you now know where your next step will be heading. Can't wait to read all about it! Enjoy your 'graduation' :-)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Vixen said...

I'll have to watch that movie... I just rented (have yet to watch) Jane Eyre from Netflix. You've inspired me to check it out! :)

Good luck in your new career move!

1:27 PM  
Blogger darkfoam said...

man, if i could just as fast as hildy....
funny that you mention that movie. during one of our workdays at the end of the school year i turned on the tv in the classroom and while i was cleaning out and reorganizing my supply closets that movie was playing in the background.
you seem organized, i know you are ambitious, you've put your heart and soul into education, i can tell you really, really care about your students.....
we all need a change. administration seems the perfect fit. good luck!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

That is a great idea. I can't wait to hear all about it.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Career paths show so much variability... Sometimes just falling into something when you're young happens to work out - that's what happened to me. It must be interesting to make a more conscious choice with more life experience to go by.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Ryane said...

Career changes are amazing endeavors! Best of luck--I know you will be successful. =-)

8:05 AM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Wishing you many responses! You're going to find the niche and place just for you.

Now keep us posted!
xoxo
C

10:36 AM  
Blogger Ryane said...

and PS: I could use some Hildy in my life, too. Thanks for reminding me of her spunk. ;-)

7:18 PM  
Blogger Charlie Mc said...

i am back blogging.....new link is

http://www.cmacny.blogspot.com/

:)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Buffy said...

Hildy Rocks.

And Grant makes me want to make googly eyes.

*Sigh*

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home